shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying engagement ring for the UK on limited budget - what are the best options

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I know you said you don't want a pre-loved ring, but all diamonds are already reused unless they are custom cut.

I think these options below would be a great value for your money.

Plus they have a little bit more uniqueness than a basic solitaire does.

https://ivyandrose.com/products/gia...ent-ring-platinum-old-european-cut-vintage-er

That's a lovely option @ elizat. Johnjo56 what do you think of it?

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
johnjo56
Is BlueNile UK having a promotion to win a £ 20,000. shopping spree? If you enter, when you sign up you may be able to save £50.00. Check it out and if it's going on see if you can utilize the discount.

I checked this out online and I signed up for it but no email or anything promoting the £50 discount so that incentive must have now gone I presume.

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
I’m just going to throw this in here. I know that you said you didn’t want to go the Preloved route, but it’s just too good not to. Perhaps one of the lurkers will be interested.
Authentic Tiffany - 0.4ct G VS1, proportions are fine. Preloved, but a good polish would bring the mount back to like new. Size 4 but easily sizable. Reputable seller, and paperwork and original boxes included. Listed at $2399 USD on eBay - vendors are usually willing to knock at least 10% off if you buy off eBay, and given that price on this particular ring was at some point dropped from $2499 to $2399 - I’d certainly try for more off.

One note - The Tiffany proportions description notes “lower half length percentage”, but the diagram depicts lower half height. What they are actually measuring is length, same as is noted on GIA and AGS reports; the diagram labelling is misleading. Tiffany report LGF length is not rounded.

That's a really nice ring I would probably go for something like that if I were buying for me but from my experience with my partner whenever we have gone shopping for any jewellery or I have suggested maybe having a look at some Preloved jewellery she always shuns it off, I don't think she really likes the idea hence me staying away from it.

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
I know you said you don't want a pre-loved ring, but all diamonds are already reused unless they are custom cut.

I think these options below would be a great value for your money.

Plus they have a little bit more uniqueness than a basic solitaire does.

https://ivyandrose.com/products/gia...ent-ring-platinum-old-european-cut-vintage-er

Thanks for looking Elizat. I really like the second one of those its lovely and great value plus the life that ring could tell...but I am not sure about my partner. I mentioned in another post that whenever we have been shopping for any jewellery for her or anybody else she wont get anything preloved. i have tried to convince her that you get far better quality and value but for whatever reason she doesn't seem sold on the idea (I would take a classy looking vintage over a modern) so I am steering away from it as I worry she may be disappointed if its not a new ring.

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Did you get one yet? :)

I have the Blue Nile diamond resting in the basket wondering why I have not bought it yet (I have it secured for another 2 days) so just deciding on the final setting or if anything else last minute suddenly jumped into my consciousness!

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
That's a lovely option @ elizat. Johnjo56 what do you think of it?

Yes I really like it too but i'm not convinced my partner will. Its the 'preloved' thing she just doesn't like looking at them in jewellery shops so I am not convinced she would be truy happy with my choice going that route.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Yes I really like it too but i'm not convinced my partner will. Its the 'preloved' thing she just doesn't like looking at them in jewellery shops so I am not convinced she would be truy happy with my choice going that route.

Have you decided on a setting yet? I looked again at the one with the side diamonds and think it would be lovely with a .04/.05. I think the proportions will be fab! Its also amazing value!

If you go the BN route will there be VAT & Customs to be paid?

To throw a wrench in the works - have you checked out any of the “petit” solitaire settings on BN? Where the band is 1.8-1.9mm thick (especially the cathedral style one). I kind of prefer that to a 2.5mm band for a 5.2mm stone.

If you prefer the 2.5mm, I would get the plain one over one with side stones for sure!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd vote for the setting with the diamonds all day long.

I'm in the UK. I have a 0.47 carat on size N 1/2 and the side diamonds really make a difference. It looks more substantial to me than a plain band.

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Have you decided on a setting yet? I looked again at the one with the side diamonds and think it would be lovely with a .04/.05. I think the proportions will be fab! Its also amazing value!

If you go the BN route will there be VAT & Customs to be paid?

Vat and customs are included in the final basket price. They ship to Dublin then across to the UK, this does away with the extra duty charge I am told so saves you a little bit.

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. I am going to also get my sister's opinion on whether a simple band or the reduced price sidestone setting would look better.

...You know it's getting serious when you start asking family members for opinions!

I was going to do this all by myself as I am sure my partner will be happy whatever I choose (hopefully) but I am so glad I found this site out and all your opinions.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. I am going to also get my sister's opinion on whether a simple band or the reduced price sidestone setting would look better.

...You know it's getting serious when you start asking family members for opinions!

I was going to do this all by myself as I am sure my partner will be happy whatever I choose (hopefully) but I am so glad I found this site out and all your opinions.
Okay! You know your partner best, and it's lovely of you to be putting her preferences over all else ::)

One thing to consider is whether adding sidestones might look a bit more "graduated multi-stone diamond band" than she prefers, if what she really wants is a solitaire. Maybe not! Let us know what you decide!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I checked this out online and I signed up for it but no email or anything promoting the £50 discount so that incentive must have now gone I presume.

Johnjo56 ask them to extend it towards your purchase if you do go with BlueNile. Also check your spam box, the confirmation may have gone there

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I love the side stone setting too

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Hi there, UK member here; take a look at 77 diamonds and also Quality Diamonds. I find their prices beat Blue Nile for loose stones, and their settings are cheaper too.

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Okay! You know your partner best, and it's lovely of you to be putting her preferences over all else ::)

One thing to consider is whether adding sidestones might look a bit more "graduated multi-stone diamond band" than she prefers, if what she really wants is a solitaire. Maybe not! Let us know what you decide!

Yes my small with that setting is the main stone may get lost beside the others although it does look more glamorous!

...my partner has never mentioned what she would like so Inpersonally don’t know which she would prefer, I was thinking the solitaire was the safer bet, my sister says she would be very happy with either.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yes my small with that setting is the main stone may get lost beside the others although it does look more glamorous!

...my partner has never mentioned what she would like so Inpersonally don’t know which she would prefer, I was thinking the solitaire was the safer bet, my sister says she would be very happy with either.

With the small side stones I don't think you can go wrong. The solitaire setting is kind of standard looking, so that could be a good thing or a bad thing. For me, it would be a bad thing, but if your partner likes things that are very simple and streamlined it is likely a win.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Love the solitaire. It’s such a classic look. She will also find it very easy to add a wedding band. She may choose to add diamonds to the wedding band for sparkle!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
If she hasn’t mentioned either way I’d go with the side diamonds option. More sparkle is always a good thing. :)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she hasn’t mentioned either way I’d go with the side diamonds option. More sparkle is always a good thing. :)

I don't necessarily agree with this. From the comments on this thread, it's clear some prefer the side diamonds and some prefer the plainer solitaire. It's a matter of taste and style (and budget). I would much prefer the solitaire over the setting with the side diamonds. We don't know much at all about the intended receiver. What is her style? What does she do for a living? all of these things would or could contribute to which she would prefer. Only the OP knows her and perhaps he and his sister could make a more informed choice than any of us. But he has options and I'm sure he will make the right choice and she will be thrilled!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I don't necessarily agree with this. From the comments on this thread, it's clear some prefer the side diamonds and some prefer the plainer solitaire. It's a matter of taste and style (and budget). I would much prefer the solitaire over the setting with the side diamonds. We don't know much at all about the intended receiver. What is her style? What does she do for a living? all of these things would or could contribute to which she would prefer. Only the OP knows her and perhaps he and his sister could make a more informed choice than any of us. But he has options and I'm sure he will make the right choice and she will be thrilled!

I was stating my opinion, you don’t have to agree because he said he has no idea which she would prefer. If he did he wouldn’t have asked the forum.

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
...I have decided to wait and let my partner decide after I have proposed!

ONLY JOKING!! Lol I have placed the order with Blue Nile so it’s now just a matter of waiting for the ring to arrive in time for our long weekend away... it better not get held up in customs!!

The choice of whether to get the sidestone ring or the solitaire was taken away from me at the checkout when it became clear they only had the solitaire in my partners ring size so the Solitaire it was meant to be!!

I just want to say a big THANK YOU to ALL OF YOU for all your help guiding me through this process it has been really enjoyable meeting such a great bunch of people... plus a special thank you to yssie for finding me a beautiful diamond, thank you x

IF, she accepts I promise I will come back and show off some photos with the ring on her finger!

thanks again everybody!! xx

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sure she will accept. Can’t wait to see the ring on her hand. Congratulations in advance.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
...I have decided to wait and let my partner decide after I have proposed!

ONLY JOKING!! Lol I have placed the order with Blue Nile so it’s now just a matter of waiting for the ring to arrive in time for our long weekend away... it better not get held up in customs!!

The choice of whether to get the sidestone ring or the solitaire was taken away from me at the checkout when it became clear they only had the solitaire in my partners ring size so the Solitaire it was meant to be!!

I just want to say a big THANK YOU to ALL OF YOU for all your help guiding me through this process it has been really enjoyable meeting such a great bunch of people... plus a special thank you to yssie for finding me a beautiful diamond, thank you x

IF, she accepts I promise I will come back and show off some photos with the ring on her finger!

thanks again everybody!! xx

Terrific!!!! Have a wonderful holiday and again Congratulations

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Woo hoo! That's one big step accomplished! Crossing my fingers for you that she accepts. Then you'll get to fight with all the stupid relatives over the wedding plans. Haha, just kidding. Sort of. :)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo hoo, congrats on a job well done! I can't wait to see the finished ring!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful choice! Fellow UK-er here who has bought from Blue Nile UK several times and been happy with the experience. A good quality solitaire in a simple setting is just the thing. Your ring will be considered very impressive ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results