shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying engagement ring for the UK on limited budget - what are the best options

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for Blue Nile. I have a .41 D VS2 set in 18k white gold I purchased from them that gets tons of compliments. Sparkle definitely outweighs size.

Mitzi123

Rough_Rock
Talk to my friend Tina @layladiamonds (on Insta), she will give you the best possible bang for your buck. She's located at the London Diamond Bourse. Say Hi from Miriam :)

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Lurkers are definitely watching this thread - most of the earlier recommendations are no longer available.

WF has a very generous upgrade policy. What type of setting are you leaning toward? A bezel provides a nice size boost, if you'd prefer to cross the 5mm mark :))

I have put the WF diamond on “hold” for 24 hours as I’m now paranoid this will get snapped up as well As I am running out of recommendation stones, they are all getting sold. Shame you dont get commission on these! Lol

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I have put the WF diamond on “hold” for 24 hours as I’m now paranoid this will get snapped up as well As I am running out of recommendation stones, they are all getting sold. Shame you dont get commission on these! Lol

Just seeing the wonderful end pictures is the best reward

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help so far with helping me make a choice on an engagement ring it has made it much less daunting than it felt at the beginning of the week!!

So, I have managed to secure 2 diamonds on hold now for 24 hours so any of you wise folk can you let me know which you prefer? Both budget around the same price after tax. They will appear as sold but its just me taking them offline for the time being.

One was a very kind suggestion on here from Blue Nile at 0.5 carat and the other is a WF stone I was recommended by one of there online staff at 0.44 carat. My goal was always to bet at least to 0.45 carat so both of these meet that criteria.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4361894.htm

Also, is 2mm a good band width on a solitaire ring? I also see them at 1.5mm and 3mm but I wonder if the diamond will be dwarfed by the band if it's too thick.

I want to try and get this all completed fpor the weekend so i can get iot ordered and back in time for our long weekend in York next month when I hope to pop the question..yikes!!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the Blue Nile stone. It’s really beautiful and as a plus it’s also bigger. And yes a smaller band will make the diamond “pop” more. My first engagement ring was a half carat from Blue Nile. So maybe I just have a soft spot for them but I think you will be happy with that choice.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the Blue Nile stone. It’s really beautiful and as a plus it’s also bigger. And yes a smaller band will make the diamond “pop” more. My first engagement ring was a half carat from Blue Nile. So maybe I just have a soft spot for them but I think you will be happy with that choice.

Ditto on Blue Nile - and the band recommendation. I think they will also be the easiest vendor to deal with in the UK, their presentation box is really well done, and their shipping is top notch.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also, if it's the same as in the US, I would not pay by wire transfer. You get a small discount that way but you lose the backup of PayPal or the credit card company if something goes wrong and you want your money back. Good luck and please show us what you get. :)

Thanks for all your help so far with helping me make a choice on an engagement ring it has made it much less daunting than it felt at the beginning of the week!!

So, I have managed to secure 2 diamonds on hold now for 24 hours so any of you wise folk can you let me know which you prefer? Both budget around the same price after tax. They will appear as sold but its just me taking them offline for the time being.

One was a very kind suggestion on here from Blue Nile at 0.5 carat and the other is a WF stone I was recommended by one of there online staff at 0.44 carat. My goal was always to bet at least to 0.45 carat so both of these meet that criteria.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4361894.htm

Also, is 2mm a good band width on a solitaire ring? I also see them at 1.5mm and 3mm but I wonder if the diamond will be dwarfed by the band if it's too thick.

I want to try and get this all completed fpor the weekend so i can get iot ordered and back in time for our long weekend in York next month when I hope to pop the question..yikes!!

I prefer the BN stone as well! It’s still a ~0.2mm size bump which will be quite visible on the hand. Here’s a diamdb visualisation:

27E91198-7786-4B45-84FB-5D047E320EC7.jpeg

0.5 on the left and .45 on the right.

2mm is good for a simple solitaire band. Agree 3mm might be too thick on a 0.5ct stone but 1.5mm seems too thin and risky to me. You could also do a 2mm tapering to 1.8mm at the top, if you like, but I just have an irrational fear of making my shanks too thin so I wouldn’t go below 2mm. If you would like something that looks really thin to make the stone pop you could consider a knife edge / half knife edge setting, but some people find them uncomfortable between the fingers.

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies, it's starting to come together! Im getting really excited and I won't even be wearing it!! lol

I have just been looking on BN at settings. My thought has always been to go with a simple classic white gold solitaire that does nothing more than show off the beauty of the diamond. However they have a sale on a small selection of settings and I saw a design that seemed a nice alternative at a really good price (tiny diamonds on the sides).

My question is do you think a stone size of only 0.5 would get 'lost' with the other small side diamonds or would it look quite nice or do you think the simple solitaire would still be best?

I have listed both options below:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies, it's starting to come together! Im getting really excited and I won't even be wearing it!! lol

I have just been looking on BN at settings. My thought has always been to go with a simple classic white gold solitaire that does nothing more than show off the beauty of the diamond. However they have a sale on a small selection of settings and I saw a design that seemed a nice alternative at a really good price (tiny diamonds on the sides).

My question is do you think a stone size of only 0.5 would get 'lost' with the other small side diamonds or would it look quite nice or do you think the simple solitaire would still be best?

I would go with the plain, simple band.

There’s is a risk of the visual effect of losing the central stone and since this is a surprise, you soon to be fiancé may not love the side stone look.

You want really go wrong with a classic band. When it comes to finding wedding rings, fiancé may want to look at a band with stones, like a half eternity, to completely finish the look.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also limited with the amount i have to spend - MAX £800.

Go vintage or estate. I did not read all the other posts -- sorry -- but you will get way more for your money with this budget.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Plain band.

However, I disagree that a thinner band always makes a stone pop. What’s her finger size? A thicker band with a smaller diameter stone can be a bold and beautiful statement - here’s a Tiffany Etoile with a 0.22ct stone. To my eyes the stone looks much more proportional and engagement-ey than it would on a thin band, and I think this style would be more flattering on most finger sizes.

E77062E5-6F19-4943-A48B-8200D5B5B33A.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is one thing that you want to be careful of when choosing premade settings like this.

D293A562-D1AF-4AEB-A710-F60351BB5917.jpeg

See how the shoulders rise up a little, but are separated from the head? Mounts like this are built to fit certain head size ranges - they aren’t custom made for each stone. BN’s website says that this particular mount can fit a round between 0.23ct and 5ct. You’ll want to ask what the head tolerance of the specific mount they’ll use for your 0.5ct 5.2mm stone is.

When the mount is made for a much larger head - this happens. This is just a simulation, and it’s a different setting, but it shows the issue that you want to avoid very well.

7722C6A3-730A-404D-B6D6-8AB28376FE28.jpeg

johnjo56

Rough_Rock
Plain band.

However, I disagree that a thinner band always makes a stone pop. What’s her finger size? A thicker band with a smaller diameter stone can be a bold and beautiful statement - here’s a Tiffany Etoile with a 0.22ct stone. To my eyes the stone looks much more proportional and engagement-ey than it would on a thin band, and I think this style would be more flattering on most finger sizes.

I don't know the exact measurement on her left hand but I would say she is approx a size 6.5 US measurements and size N uk sizing.

That looks a really nice ring I must admit but just checked the price and I would have to sell my car or start busking at the weekends to afford that ring! lol

Blue Nile is limited in what it can offer that is within my budget with regards to bezels/ half bezel rings etc.

Thanks for the warning as well with regards to the other solitaire, I can quite easy see that snagging on clothes and things if it opens up like that with the stone set inside and it possibly coming out!

When i first started my search my favourite setting was actually the cheapest setting that BN sold, it was just plain and simple. I am maybe thinking of going back to that and at a later date we could always have it put in another ring should my partner want to.

Can you see any faults with this one?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plain band.

Totally agree about this, but it's certainly a matter of personal taste

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the exact measurement on her left hand but I would say she is approx a size 6.5 US measurements and size N uk sizing.

That looks a really nice ring I must admit but just checked the price and I would have to sell my car or start busking at the weekends to afford that ring! lol

Blue Nile is limited in what it can offer that is within my budget with regards to bezels/ half bezel rings etc.

Thanks for the warning as well with regards to the other solitaire, I can quite easy see that snagging on clothes and things if it opens up like that with the stone set inside and it possibly coming out!

When i first started my search my favourite setting was actually the cheapest setting that BN sold, it was just plain and simple. I am maybe thinking of going back to that and at a later date we could always have it put in another ring should my partner want to.

That's a solid option.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is such a classic and traditional mount - it’s hard to go wrong, I think!!

If you much prefer the other style though - definitely ask BN! They’re good about getting back to you when they don’t have answers on hand. They will have multiple copies of the same style premade with clearance for different sizes of head - the question is what the clearance of the copy they’d use for your specific stone is. If they use a mount made for 0.25-0.5ct stones then yours will fit perfectly. If they use a mount made for 0.5-0.75ct stones - that’ll be a problem. It’s just something to verify, apologies if I created needless worry.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m just going to throw this in here. I know that you said you didn’t want to go the Preloved route, but it’s just too good not to. Perhaps one of the lurkers will be interested.
Authentic Tiffany - 0.4ct G VS1, proportions are fine. Preloved, but a good polish would bring the mount back to like new. Size 4 but easily sizable. Reputable seller, and paperwork and original boxes included. Listed at $2399 USD on eBay - vendors are usually willing to knock at least 10% off if you buy off eBay, and given that price on this particular ring was at some point dropped from $2499 to $2399 - I’d certainly try for more off.

One note - The Tiffany proportions description notes “lower half length percentage”, but the diagram depicts lower half height. What they are actually measuring is length, same as is noted on GIA and AGS reports; the diagram labelling is misleading. Tiffany report LGF length is not rounded.

Last edited:

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
You don’t need to worry about the setting with Blue Nile - they will make it look right for your diamond. Like I said we had bought a 0.55 from them with a platinum setting similar to the ones you mentioned (without diamonds) and it was a nice tight fit against the head, no giant gap. They make quality rings.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock

I like the setting with the side diamonds, I think it will complement the center and give some extra bling!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like this one. It's classic and if you aren't sure of what kind of setting she would like, this is probably a very safe choice. Also as you mentioned, it's not expensive, so if she wants something different in the future, you can buy a different one and this original one could always be used for a colored stone.

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
I think for such a delicate stone I'd go with a tapered shank or a knife edge shank (which can still be solid). 2 mm is an overkill, the stone will look lost next to it.

The last one shared looks too wide (reverse taper?)... and doesn't look delicate

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock

Looks perfect for your diamond.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
johnjo56
Is BlueNile UK having a promotion to win a £ 20,000. shopping spree? If you enter, when you sign up you may be able to save £50.00. Check it out and if it's going on see if you can utilize the discount.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks perfect for your diamond.

Here is what they show as the setting looking like with a 5 mm diamond. I think it will be lovely.
Screenshot 2021-04-22 185744.jpg

I would also think, because you have a limited budget, that you don't want to put too much of it into the setting and focus your spending on the diamond. Looking at the other BN settings, they seem to be quite a bit more.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I know you said you don't want a pre-loved ring, but all diamonds are already reused unless they are custom cut.

I think these options below would be a great value for your money.

Plus they have a little bit more uniqueness than a basic solitaire does.

https://ivyandrose.com/products/gia...ent-ring-platinum-old-european-cut-vintage-er

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results