shape
carat
color
clarity

buying diamonds from qualified online jewelers... have you ever wonder....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
i saw a post at another forum and it got me thinking...

here is the original post:

"How do I know if XXXX (any qualified online vender, no store in particular) gives me the right certificate/grading report when shipping the diamond to me?
For example, if I order a 1/3 carat, D color, IF clarity, Excellent cut diamond ring from them, will they cheat by shipping the cert. that matches my requirement but a ring with lower quality ?" - lee

Does anyone have the experience of bringing a diamond you bought online to an appraiser and found out it does not match the certificate while the certificate is genuine?

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2009 1:35:55 PM
Author:swl
''How do I know if XXXX (any qualified online vender, no store in particular) gives me the right certificate/grading report when shipping the diamond to me?

The premise of this concept is the very reason why most reputable online vendors recommend that their clients take their purchases to a qualified independent Gemologist / Appraiser for verification. We certainly do. In fact, many online retailers will ship diamonds to qualified appraisers for verification prior to the client actually purchasing the diamond. Peace of mind is what it''s all about.

mryan

Rough_Rock
I just took my e-ring to an appraiser for insurance purposes and they showed me the GIA laser stamp under the microscope. they also check out the diamond to make sure it matches up to whats on the cert too. i''m sure if you stick with the main vendors you won''t have any issues.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
I agree. I don''t think you need to worry as long as you use any reputable online vendor. They have their reputations to protect and even one bad review online is damaging.

I had my vendor ship my diamond loose to my appraiser who appraised it. After I purchased the diamond and it was set and sent to me by my vendor, I took my fiance back to our appraiser to give us a consultation on the diamond. The follow-up consultation visit was just for fun but through that process he verified that it was the correct diamond. He also pointed out one inclusion and taught us how to find it so that we could identify the diamond ourselves if we needed to.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 1:54:36 PM
Author: njseeker
I agree. I don't think you need to worry as long as you use any reputable online vendor. They have their reputations to protect and even one bad review online is damaging.

I had my vendor ship my diamond loose to my appraiser who appraised it. After I purchased the diamond and it was set and sent to me by my vendor, I took my fiance back to our appraiser to give us a consultation on the diamond. The follow-up consultation visit was just for fun but through that process he verified that it was the correct diamond. He also pointed out one inclusion and taught us how to find it so that we could identify the diamond ourselves if we needed to.
Ditto. Here is a list of independant appraisers you can use to find one in your area, to verify any purchase you may make.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2009 1:47:35 PM
Author: Todd Gray

Date: 2/19/2009 1:35:55 PM
Author:swl
''How do I know if XXXX (any qualified online vender, no store in particular) gives me the right certificate/grading report when shipping the diamond to me?

The premise of this concept is the very reason why most reputable online vendors recommend that their clients take their purchases to a qualified independent Gemologist / Appraiser for verification. We certainly do. In fact, many online retailers will ship diamonds to qualified appraisers for verification prior to the client actually purchasing the diamond. Peace of mind is what it''s all about.
LOL! Even though I think it is probably a great idea, I am constantly surprised by how few people do it. I never even think about it, but I am surprised more of my clients don''t make a point of it. I am always totally okay with it, but I never really think about it. Todd does and recommends it.

Wink

swl

Shiny_Rock
any more personal stories?
26.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have have ZERO concerns about buying a stone from Wink at Winfield''s or Jonathan at GOG. They have brick and mortar stores and a long term reputation. I trust them (and a few others here as well). In fact, I would trust them over any of the local jewelers I visited who tried to sell me an inferior, overpriced stone!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have bought from WF, GOG and Facets. All turned out to be spot on. I would say that for vendors I haven''t bought from as well. I have been a member here for 4 years. So while I haven''t bought from some vendors, they still earn my respect. Wink, etc...

RBD hunter

Rough_Rock
any more personal stories?
26.gif

My persional story
I added my own inclusion
emteeth.gif

GIA 2105212578
emthup.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even the best vendors can make mistakes. Bottom line, if you are going to fork over thousands, spend a few extra bucks and make sure you got what you paid for. Take it to an appraiser!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought my stone from WF and got studs from them too; couldn't be happier and yes if you aren't sure take it to an appraiser . I also bought a setting from Solomon Brothers. I know it seems scary at first but after buying online I couldn't be happier, and that is my honest feelings. Plus this forum is filled with wonderful helpful people. Welcome by the way!

swl

Shiny_Rock
thank you skippy :) It''s great to see everyone so well informed about their purchases :) Good vendors + well informed customers = a valuable and happy experience :)

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a stone from Jamesallen.com I got my appraisal done today he confirmed the laser inscription number matched the report. What he did was give his own report and didn''t even look at my IGI report that came with the stone. The only difference was JA said my stone was Mod Blue but my guy said Strong Blue. I am fine with that, the blue that he showed me was gorgeous so I don''t mind, if anything I love it more.

The online vendors have repeat customers for a reason. Would I buy from Jamesallen again? You betcha. I recieved a level of customer service that was wonderful. I am hoping to work with Whiteflash in the near future and so far I am pleased (as are many others) with their service and product. They offer the extended return period so that you can go and get it checked out on your own for your own piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results