shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying diamond online but setting it locally

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tonality

Rough_Rock
Hi

I''m interested in purchasing a diamond online but mounting it in a setting at a local jeweler. My biggest fear is the jeweler swapping the rock when he is doing the work. After all, I didn''t buy the rock from him and I''m likely not going to stand over his shoulder when he''s working on it. How can I be completely sure this doesn''t happen to me?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The most secure way is already in your diamond, the inclusions it has. It is unique for each diamond, but lower clarity diamonds are easier for us layman to recognize. The jeweler, before receiving the diamond is suppose to check the stone and compare it with your report, go through the entire process with him and let him point out the inclusions on both the diamond and the plot. After setting, you should go through that process again to verify. Or you can send it to an independent appraiser after setting and let him verify the stone in the setting is your stone.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The risk of this is far less than people are inclined to believe but if you’re losing sleep over it, the solution is to get it appraised and buy an insurance policy. This won’t change the chances of some jeweler stealing your diamond, and again I think the risk of this is low, but it does make it someone else’s problem.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 8:24:37 AM
Author: denverappraiser
The risk of this is far less than people are inclined to believe but if you’re losing sleep over it, the solution is to get it appraised and buy an insurance policy. This won’t change the chances of some jeweler stealing your diamond, and again I think the risk of this is low, but it does make it someone else’s problem.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
Ditto.

RBD hunter

Rough_Rock
How can I be completely sure this doesn't happen to me?

Start with a jeweler you trust.

It is a little un-nerving....
I have a Ering being made in Texas (I live in Arizona) and have never met the jeweler......
He has a good reputation and has been in business for some time.
BBB accredited
I emailed and talked to him on the phone numerous times and the ring should be back early this week.

I did insure the loose diamond for the full replacement value (just in case the post office had a mishap)
and the diamond is GIA number laser inscribed

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I live in TX and bought my Jubilee online from a vendor in NY, and had it set locally. When I picked up my ring, I took a loupe to take a closer look. It was reassuring to see the Jubilee inscription on the side of the diamond between the prongs and an inclusion near the edge that I knew was there before (SI1 clarity). And I did this even though I trusted my jeweler completely and knew he could not switch out a Jubilee.

I agree that an independent appraisal after setting is your best bet in addition to making yourself familiar with the inclusions in your diamond. Take a little time to really look at your stone with a loupe before sending it off to be set then you can feel confident when you pick it up that it''s your diamond.

Erik Carlson GG

Rough_Rock
Trade
I second the motion for insurance (or is it third by now?) before the stone is set, as the jeweler is far more likely to chip your diamond during setting than switch it.

The possibility of either is low, but it does happen unfortunately.

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
if i didnt trust a jeweler i wouldnt leave it with them

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made sure my ring and diamond were insured during the setting process.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results