shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Diamond from South Africa to Canada

raresauce

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am very new to all of this and looking for some advice. I have found a diamond seller in South Africa and I am interested in buying a diamond from him and getting it shipped to me in Canada.

Has anyone ever been through the process and can provide some insight.

I called Canada Customs and they said all I would have to do is pay tax on the exchanged rate and to make sure there is a bill of sale with the package.

This seems very easy and was wondering if thats all there is to it.

Thanks in advance

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the person a registered diamond dealer? All diamonds out of South Africa have to meet and have documentation/certificates to prove they are part of the Kimberley process meaning they are not blood diamonds. Is it well cut, does it come with certification stating what it is or is it rough material?

I'd be very very careful, anyone selling diamonds out of South Africa could potentially be a scammer/con artist.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

raresauce

Rough_Rock
I do not believe he is registered. The diamond does come with a GIA certificate, which I looked up and exists. Im also a little hesitant about the price as it is way lower than what I have seen anywhere else. It is a round 1.23ct G SI1 good,good,good and he is asking $2100. What do you think.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend you work with a reputable vendor that others can confirm, regardless of where you shop:canada, usa, europe, south africa.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See your other post. The diamond is a dud.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
The stone may definitely be a dud - but at 2100$ if you buy it and get it recut into a super ideal you may well be striking a bargain!
All of this if you actually end up receiving the diamond. I would suggest you use an escrow service - hedge your bets. Also Canada and South Africa both has Malca Amit vaulting facilities - verify the goods and then release the payment. The only way that diamond is gonna sparkle is if you get it recut into a diamond with beautiful proportions. Also remember not all stones are recut candidates especially shallow stones.
Also I would ask the seller to guarantee that the stone is not brown, grey, green or milky.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just for the sake of the narrative, I am curious how you found a seller in South Africa you are interested in working with?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results