shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying color change gemstones in singapore

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I definitely agree! I would prefer to spend my money on more tangible aspects rather than heated vs unheated. I am having some trouble trying to figure out if a gem is actually worth that much or not however, which I am definitely attributing to my lack of experience.

I mean after all this will be for setting into an engagement ring so the resale value isn't much of a factor to me since it is unlikely that we will be selling the ring. Thank you for you input!

I think the finished ring will have a lot of intrinsic value, vested entirely in how happy it makes you. If you smile when you see it, then you made the right choice. It sounds like you have it all worked out anyway :).

Hi snowinggems, welcome to pricescope. It sounds like you might want a tourmaline, a spinel or a sapphire. I am not sure what bublegum pink means. But if I was you I would go through finewatergems and concavegems websites to get a feeling for the different variants of pink tourmalines/spinels/sapphires. (I actually havent purchased from either of these vendors before, but others here will have and you can always ask them).

Then I would look through the vendor vs IRL photos thread pinned at the top of this forum. I tend to find that I can't return stones from singapore. As a result everything I purchase I keep. Because of this I have a far smaller cross section through the recomended vendors list than many other members of this forum (who may see, and return, multiple stones before finding the perfect one for them. Or may just feel a little less like purchasing is an indeliable commitment.). As such you will get a much richer and more complete account of vendors photography and customer service policies if you pole other peoples experiances, and the vendor vs IRL photos thread is a great resouce for this.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the finished ring will have a lot of intrinsic value, vested entirely in how happy it makes you. If you smile when you see it, then you made the right choice. It sounds like you have it all worked out anyway :).

Hi snowinggems, welcome to pricescope. It sounds like you might want a tourmaline, a spinel or a sapphire. I am not sure what bublegum pink means. But if I was you I would go through finewatergems and concavegems websites to get a feeling for the different variants of pink tourmalines/spinels/sapphires. (I actually havent purchased from either of these vendors before, but others here will have and you can always ask them).

Then I would look through the vendor vs IRL photos thread pinned at the top of this forum. I tend to find that I can't return stones from singapore. As a result everything I purchase I keep. Because of this I have a far smaller cross section through the recomended vendors list than many other members of this forum (who may see, and return, multiple stones before finding the perfect one for them. Or may just feel a little less like purchasing is an indeliable commitment.). As such you will get a much richer and more complete account of vendors photography and customer service policies if you pole other peoples experiances, and the vendor vs IRL photos thread is a great resouce for this.

Just curious, why are you unable to return stones from Singapore ? I have returned with no issues really. Returned gems to UK and also to Thailand without any problem

SnowingGems

Rough_Rock
Yes of course ! I just didn’t share because I wasn’t sure you were interested. Let me share his ebay Store link so you can contact him through the messaging system.

http://ebay.com/usr/exoticgemstones
Oh, I am following him on Instagram. No wonder your hot pink stone looks familiar. He does post pictures of nice gems but usually when I saw them it wrote as SOLD.

I saw Clear_Cut_Gems posted a nice Asscher cut tourmaline recently, but the colour was a lighter that what I am looking for
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba7Vd9VHI94/?taken-by=clear_cut_gems

Another vendor I find with nice gems is Jeff_Davies_Custom_Cutting on Instagram. From his postings, I saw that he has Singapore customers. http://jefferydavies.com

OK, will keep looking!

SnowingGems

Rough_Rock
Just curious, why are you unable to return stones from Singapore ? I have returned with no issues really. Returned gems to UK and also to Thailand without any problem
May I know how is the tax calculated? In the event that I return the gem, do I still have to pay for the tax?

SnowingGems

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice. I realised pricescope has a lot of information. :)

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
May I know how is the tax calculated? In the event that I return the gem, do I still have to pay for the tax?

I think tax is on high value items and that is if they are declared to be of high value. I never declare true cost of the gem but I generally also do not buy 500 dollar plus gems.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am following him on Instagram. No wonder your hot pink stone looks familiar. He does post pictures of nice gems but usually when I saw them it wrote as SOLD.

I saw Clear_Cut_Gems posted a nice Asscher cut tourmaline recently, but the colour was a lighter that what I am looking for
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba7Vd9VHI94/?taken-by=clear_cut_gems

Another vendor I find with nice gems is Jeff_Davies_Custom_Cutting on Instagram. From his postings, I saw that he has Singapore customers. http://jefferydavies.com

OK, will keep looking!

Exotic gems- yes he does mark sold but if you reach out to him he will cut a piece just for you. He does that for a lot of people which is why they are marked sold soon.

Clear cut- it’s lovely!

Jeff- I’ve bought and returned several to him and it hasn’t been a problem. Just note his pictures always show a brighter gem than it is in real life.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I actually just meant that I can't find a postal option that will insure lose gems (in the couple of thousand dollar range). I read all the postal cariers policy documents a few years ago when I first joined pricescope, but they may have changed by now. A few years ago there was some limited coverage options for jewlery, but nothing for lose stones.

Since I share finances with my husband, I make sure I discus everything with him beforehand and don't push it if he is uncomfortable. The fact that the package costs a couple of k, and will be uninsured usually turns out to be a sticking point. Even if it is unlikely to go missing. Mostly I just try to save us the headache by thinking carefully before I buy.

If you know a way to insure lose stones in the post, then I would love to know.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually just meant that I can't find a postal option that will insure lose gems (in the couple of thousand dollar range). I read all the postal cariers policy documents a few years ago when I first joined pricescope, but they may have changed by now. A few years ago there was some limited coverage options for jewlery, but nothing for lose stones.

Since I share finances with my husband, I make sure I discus everything with him beforehand and don't push it if he is uncomfortable. The fact that the package costs a couple of k, and will be uninsured usually turns out to be a sticking point. Even if it is unlikely to go missing. Mostly I just try to save us the headache by thinking carefully before I buy.

If you know a way to insure lose stones in the post, then I would love to know.

Ah I understand. Well we are in the same boat. For high value items even I couldnt find anyone and same is the case for jewellery. They all say no to carrying even a small ring if it’s made of gold and diamonds which is why though I want to sell some of my rings I can’t. Insurance is a must for many buyers which is understandable and that’s again a barrier. I will be going to a jeweller here for some work and I will ask them how they transport high value items. If i find out any service which you could use I’ll surely let you know.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The most promising I have seen is Fedex (which seems to give an option for insurance up to some declared value). There is an exemption clause though for jewlery etc which limits their maximum liability (see page 5 of their conditions of carriage). They have a jewlery shipping program which appears to let you short circuit this exemption clause. But I think you would have to be a vendor to qualify (I have no idea to be honest as I just assesed it as not applicable to me). I have seen others use EMS but when I asked in singapore I got told no bueno. This still confuses me. If you do find a way, then I would love to hear about it. Especially for lose precious stones, which seem to be in a class of their own.

Sorry OP I dont mean to hijack your thread.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1427DD60-016C-4ECA-9862-EE167D72649B.jpeg CE7D6E15-A090-4087-872A-010A774FBEFD.jpeg
6B96FF32-342B-4100-9EFA-7F93BD7EE16E.jpeg

I understand which I why though I only buy from online vendors (madly is amazing but super overpriced), I always buy from ones with a good return policy.
I just bought this hot pink mehenge. Got delivered today. Great accurate pics. It’s cloudy but in reality it’s brighter. I’ll post more photos later. B9C920C9-5FD5-4B3E-8080-8773386DE6E7.jpeg

As promised here are a few more pics.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The most promising I have seen is Fedex (which seems to give an option for insurance up to some declared value). There is an exemption clause though for jewlery etc which limits their maximum liability (see page 5 of their conditions of carriage). They have a jewlery shipping program which appears to let you short circuit this exemption clause. But I think you would have to be a vendor to qualify (I have no idea to be honest as I just assesed it as not applicable to me). I have seen others use EMS but when I asked in singapore I got told no bueno. This still confuses me. If you do find a way, then I would love to hear about it. Especially for lose precious stones, which seem to be in a class of their own.

Sorry OP I dont mean to hijack your thread.

I’ll check out fedex and Ems. Will keep you updated if I get any good leads:)
I totally get the pain. In the US it seems to be super simple.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I've been trying to get either a color-change garnet or color-change sapphire here in Singapore for a proposal ring, but haven't managed to find any ones that I like at Golden Mile (either weak color change or looks very muddy).

Does anyone know of any online stores which have good color-change gemstones that would ship to Singapore, or any other places I should try in Singapore that may have some?

Hi Dalcier, I think the thread went off topic a bit. Did you eventually find the right gem or decide what stone to go for ?

Dalcier

Rough_Rock
Hi Dalcier, I think the thread went off topic a bit. Did you eventually find the right gem or decide what stone to go for ?

No I'm perfectly alright with that, especially if it manages to help someone else! Actually to be honest, I am still looking around! I still love this one the most: http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-54-carat-blue-violet-to-purple-color-change-umba-sapphire/ but it is still a little out of my price range! My jeweler is trying to see if she can obtain a similar one from her suppliers, and I'm also discussing with Jeff White about the possibility of cutting one from a rough. Sadly he doesn't have any roughs that would go that blue in natural light so I'm still holding back! Hopefully I will get a lead soon from the many sites that I've been emailing!

If in the end I cannot find something else that I love that's affordable I may just get this one instead, which is definitely within my price range, though it is not my most favourite: https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/...earch_query=sapphire&ref=shop_items_search_46

Will post more as I get more updates hopefully!

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No I'm perfectly alright with that, especially if it manages to help someone else! Actually to be honest, I am still looking around! I still love this one the most: http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-54-carat-blue-violet-to-purple-color-change-umba-sapphire/ but it is still a little out of my price range! My jeweler is trying to see if she can obtain a similar one from her suppliers, and I'm also discussing with Jeff White about the possibility of cutting one from a rough. Sadly he doesn't have any roughs that would go that blue in natural light so I'm still holding back! Hopefully I will get a lead soon from the many sites that I've been emailing!

If in the end I cannot find something else that I love that's affordable I may just get this one instead, which is definitely within my price range, though it is not my most favourite: https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/...earch_query=sapphire&ref=shop_items_search_46

Will post more as I get more updates hopefully!

Nice options! I guess you have decided to go with sapphires then.

I really like the 5mm one actually but it will be very small. So in case you go with it, do get something like a double halo made maybe.

Though this one is NOT a colour change, it is truly a gem I wish I could afford! It’s by one of the best gem cutters on the planet and it does have colour shifts. I would strongly recommend a great cut like this. Also one of our own PSers is selling it and you can speak to her about it.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/periwinkle-sapphire;18417

Dalcier

Rough_Rock
Nice options! I guess you have decided to go with sapphires then.

I really like the 5mm one actually but it will be very small. So in case you go with it, do get something like a double halo made maybe.

Though this one is NOT a colour change, it is truly a gem I wish I could afford! It’s by one of the best gem cutters on the planet and it does have colour shifts. I would strongly recommend a great cut like this. Also one of our own PSers is selling it and you can speak to her about it.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/periwinkle-sapphire;18417

Yes I have finally more or less settled on sapphires due to the added durability and the nicer color range as well!

I am actually looking more for a 5-6mm width range as my partner has mentioned to me she wants a smaller sized gemstone which looks more discrete for everyday wear and doesn't draw too much attention!

And oh wow that is an amazing find and within my budget as well! Definitely something I would consider as it still is a color shift gemstone, just not a full color change gemstone. I will message her about it! Thank you for the link I really like it too!

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I have finally more or less settled on sapphires due to the added durability and the nicer color range as well!

I am actually looking more for a 5-6mm width range as my partner has mentioned to me she wants a smaller sized gemstone which looks more discrete for everyday wear and doesn't draw too much attention!

And oh wow that is an amazing find and within my budget as well! Definitely something I would consider as it still is a color shift gemstone, just not a full color change gemstone. I will message her about it! Thank you for the link I really like it too!

Gene of precision gem would have a video of it too I believe so if you want ask NKOTB if she has that too or you can reach out to him

Dalcier

Rough_Rock
After much searching, I think I've finally come down to a final decision between these two gems:
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-54-carat-blue-violet-to-purple-color-change-umba-sapphire/
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-02-carat-blue-purple-color-change-montana-sapphire/

I like the umba sapphire more because of the higher saturation of blue in the gem, but my only worry is that it feels a little bit overpriced. Can anyone advise me if the prices for those two gems (and especially the umba sapphire) are reasonable and if they really are worth that much?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
After much searching, I think I've finally come down to a final decision between these two gems:
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-54-carat-blue-violet-to-purple-color-change-umba-sapphire/
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-02-carat-blue-purple-color-change-montana-sapphire/

I like the umba sapphire more because of the higher saturation of blue in the gem, but my only worry is that it feels a little bit overpriced. Can anyone advise me if the prices for those two gems (and especially the umba sapphire) are reasonable and if they really are worth that much?

I would go with the Umba one too. Why don't you try reaching out to the website owner to ask if they could do better on the price?

SnowingGems

Rough_Rock
I prefer the Umba sapphire too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results