shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying an engagement ring

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
Wanted to bump this back up to the Top I have been cruising Blue Nile and have narrowed my search. My budget for the center stone is about 6K, I would like a round stone Ideal cut and prefer 1.20 carat or bigger. As far as Color my girlfriend is not able to see color as much as I am so I can get buy with a J color.

JaneDough

Rough_Rock
If you do go the route of family friend, don’t be shy about questioning proportions and asking a lot of questions! Be picky it’s a lot of money that you’re spending! I’ve seen a lot of colleagues go through the easier friend of a friend route, or so and so’s Diamond guy route. What happens is they have a few quick discussions, look at what they think is a sparkly diamond, end up getting something comparable without looking at certificates or ASET and end up with a diamond in a setting that is dull :roll2: this just happened to someone at work.It’s only been a month from her engagement and now she’s unhappy with the dullness. That being said she’s also been renovating her house with her ring on so I’m sure it’s grimy as heck!

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
If you do go the route of family friend, don’t be shy about questioning proportions and asking a lot of questions! Be picky it’s a lot of money that you’re spending! I’ve seen a lot of colleagues go through the easier friend of a friend route, or so and so’s Diamond guy route. What happens is they have a few quick discussions, look at what they think is a sparkly diamond, end up getting something comparable without looking at certificates or ASET and end up with a diamond in a setting that is dull :roll2: this just happened to someone at work.It’s only been a month from her engagement and now she’s unhappy with the dullness. That being said she’s also been renovating her house with her ring on so I’m sure it’s grimy as heck!

I think that I am going to go through Blue Nile or a PS vendor so that way no parties lose in the family friend deal.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that I am going to go through Blue Nile or a PS vendor so that way no parties lose in the family friend deal.

Very wise. Learned the hard way it's a bad idea to mix business and friendship/family. For me, life is better that way. I can freely give my time, money or other resources without any expectation of repayment which makes giving a truly incredible gift & experience. It also means if I can't afford to lose whatever is being asked that I sometimes have to say no. That is the worst part as I genuinely enjoy helping people.

On the flip side, since I operate in that manner I am a better friend and family member and never put those I love in an awkward position either, as I try to view all things I'd ask of them with my own perspective.

Of course, I'm very self sufficient and independent and have never been good at asking for help myself.

But enough about me. I think you are wise to seek other options. :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results