shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying an engagement ring

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
I'm in the process for looking for engagement rings for my girlfriend. She wants a pave style ring and a round diamond. She has mentioned both lab created diamonds and natural. I have been looking through James allen and Blue nile but what to get the best bang for my buck. wanting around a 1-1.25 carat center stone. I also have no problem buying a used stone or ring and using the center stone from the pre loved ring.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for just the stone and parameters you wish to stay in?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Halo? Not really what we would recommend stone wise but its a nice pickup for the price

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
price wise I would like to stay under $5K. and parameters J or better on color, SI1 or better and ideal cut.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This stone has nice spread but you need to request for the report

Lab Diamonds of course you can get the best bang for the buck

This one doesn't have an image but you can review the stones that do or just reach out to vendor and request, his diamonds are beautiful. He has a few that could fall wiithin what you want that done have images yet, I would recommend contacting him

A little over stone budget

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
If you’re interested in lab created options, you should post in the MMD section. Everyone is super helpful with finding options over there. :mrgreen2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MMD options may cost less dollars but I don't consider them a better value than traditional earth mined stones.

Do some research. LightBox introduced MMD up to 1 carat for less than $1,000. This is very cheap compared to most lab created stones. My point is there are shifts occuring in the market that likely point to a major decline in MMD pricing.

Granted, no diamond is a good financial investment. I just see MMD as more risky.

Just my 2 cents.

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
I am sticking with an earth diamond and will also be getting her a mossinate ring as well. She is a nurse in the surgery unit and scrubs in and out of surgeries all day so I think a replica of the real ring would be a great add for her to wear to work rather then a rubber ring. I have been in contact with White flash about a few stones but still looking.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sticking with an earth diamond and will also be getting her a mossinate ring as well. She is a nurse in the surgery unit and scrubs in and out of surgeries all day so I think a replica of the real ring would be a great add for her to wear to work rather then a rubber ring. I have been in contact with White flash about a few stones but still looking.

I would see if she wants a low profile band to wear with the gloves over a replica ring, don't want the ring ripping through the gloves

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you pony up for a MMD replica, I would gauge her thoughts on the matter. Your intentions seem good, but many nurses choose to use the rubber bands or simply wear no ring because of policy or their own preference for not having to fight with a ring.

Remember, they can deal with nasty stuff. They wear gloves. Getting those gloves on without creating a hole/puncture so they aren't exposed to the nastiness is of the utmost importance.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I'm impressed with the many lab diamond options available these days (AVCs... ) but for an engagement ring, I'd look at a mined stone. I think you will limit your upgrade/resell options with a lab diamond.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
For someone wearing gloves, how about a bezel set wedding band?
Personally, I would prefer this over a moissanite replica. (Which is not the same as an MMD.) Especially if she couldn’t even really wear the replica all the time anyways. =)2

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@headlight Maybe you can explain or give some reasons for your statement? Just throwing out a sentence like that is not very helpful.
I apologize for the delayed response. I just feel that a diamond from the earth, something unique and rare and valuable, is more desirable, especially for something as important and significant and meaningful as the symbol of one’s promise. Others may see it differently and I respect that.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I apologize for the delayed response. I just feel that a diamond from the earth, something unique and rare and valuable, is more desirable, especially for something as important and significant and meaningful as the symbol of one’s promise. Others may see it differently and I respect that.
You mean one of the millions of carats of diamonds dug out of the earth each year? ;-) :lol:

I get where you are coming from, though - it is cool to think a mined diamond might have been formed 400 miles below the earth's crust 3-billion years ago and then travelled to the surface through kimberlite pipes and other mechanical actions - but it is also cool to think that us slightly-hairy monkeys have managed to recreate such things through the application of science and research gathered over what is merely a blip in time in universal terms, so I would respectfully say that you should indeed state your opinion, but that you should also justify it as you have done in your second post ;-) :)

There is plenty of room for both options in the market, and a wide range of buyers' opinions each offering will appeal to, so I don't (personally) think we should be attempting to influence others' decisions in any way but through laying out the facts as they stand and framing them from both/all sides of the picture, in order to ensure purchases are made from a position of knowledge and understanding, free of implication or influence! :)

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
So I have a very good family friend talking to a diamond wholesaler. I am still trying to get the cert but he can get me a round 1.26c ideal cut SI1 F color diamond for $6,500. Besides the GIA cert what else should I ask for, to see if it is really a good deal or not.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have a very good family friend talking to a diamond wholesaler. I am still trying to get the cert but he can get me a round 1.26c ideal cut SI1 F color diamond for $6,500. Besides the GIA cert what else should I ask for, to see if it is really a good deal or not.

No family friend. Just RareCarat. Almost identical. Not recommending, just showing you what is available with little effort.

In this case, the stone has medium blue fluor (MBF), so you would need to clarify there is no milky/hazy issues going on. Also, while this stone has a video, it would be recommended you at least see a photo (preferably video) of the stone. If possible, ask for an ASET or IS image.

FYI, I had a slew of diamonds from 1.20-1.30ct, F+ color, SI1+ clarity and $6,500 or less pop up on RC. Nearly all them had strong to medium fluor. All need to be examined to see what proportions do and don't work. What inclusions aren't acceptable, even though they may be SI1's. And which actually look like performers based on the videos.

I'm not against fluor necessarily, but you need to do your homework as I mentioned above. Also, in higher colors, lower levels of fluor are typically desired.

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
No family friend. Just RareCarat. Almost identical. Not recommending, just showing you what is available with little effort.

In this case, the stone has medium blue fluor (MBF), so you would need to clarify there is no milky/hazy issues going on. Also, while this stone has a video, it would be recommended you at least see a photo (preferably video) of the stone. If possible, ask for an ASET or IS image.

FYI, I had a slew of diamonds from 1.20-1.30ct, F+ color, SI1+ clarity and $6,500 or less pop up on RC. Nearly all them had strong to medium fluor. All need to be examined to see what proportions do and don't work. What inclusions aren't acceptable, even though they may be SI1's. And which actually look like performers based on the videos.

I'm not against fluor necessarily, but you need to do your homework as I mentioned above. Also, in higher colors, lower levels of fluor are typically desired.

Thanks Sledge,

I will do some more looking, I have been back and forth between Blue Nile, RareCarat, James Allen, White Flash and now a family friend.

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
My question now is between ideal and very good cut, with very good I could go to a 1.5 carat stone and with ideal I could go with a 1.20-1.30 stone.

collinmaune

Rough_Rock
after doing more and more looking, I have found her Pintrest page and she has shared both round, radiant and princess cut diamonds on a pave band. Everything she shared was a non halo setting. I am no going back and forth between round vs radiant or princess. When looking at non round what are the main areas to focus on?

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
after doing more and more looking, I have found her Pintrest page and she has shared both round, radiant and princess cut diamonds on a pave band. Everything she shared was a non halo setting. I am no going back and forth between round vs radiant or princess. When looking at non round what are the main areas to focus on?
Round is much easier. As soon as you get to fancies, it's harder. She pinned round, why change gears?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting into fancies is a love/hate thing. Unless you specifically know she wants a particular shape, I would absolutely go round. And then if you get into certain shapes, the ratio (length:width) becomes a big deal for some people too. Some like rectangle, some like more square. Some in between.

As far as cut vs size -- for me, it's an absolute no brainer -- CUT, CUT, CUT!!!!

There are a few reasons:

1. More fire & sparkles = more smiles from you, her and everyone that sees it

2. Once you see a well cut stone, you really can't stand to see a poorly cut one

3. When it's cut right, light enters, bounces around and leaves the top. This is important because the diamond will look brighter and whiter as a result. Additionally it will reflect light from EDGE to EDGE, which makes a stone look bigger. In poorly cut stones, light doesn't go edge to edge and looks smaller than same (and sometimes smaller) stones.

Here's a video that shows #3 in effect. Both stones are 1 carat, but look at how the poorly cut stone shrinks because it lacks edge to edge light return.

1572476167736.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think about this diamond?

I would not recommend this stone. Crown is too shallow, and pavilion is too steep at 41.2. Take into account GIA rounding & averaging and you will have actual pavilion values slipping over the 41.2 line.

Suggest you stay within these criteria for ideal cut stone:
  • 54-57 table
  • 60-62.4 depth (prefer 62 or less)
  • 34-35 crown (maybe 35.5, if paired w/ 40.6 pavilion)
  • 40.6-40.9 pavilion (maybe 41, if paired w/ 34 crown)
  • 75-80 lower girdle facets (aka LGF's)
  • Inverse relationship between crown & pavilion, meaning steep crown/shallow pavilion or vice versa
  • HCA score of 0-2 (maybe 2.5 in rare cases)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results