shape
carat
color
clarity

buying an engagement ring very soon, HELP WANTED:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rodmichael

Rough_Rock
Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 1.37ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
GIA Cut Grade: Very Good
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Premium
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 15709984
In House: Yes
Width: 7.22mm
Length: 7.27mm
Depth: 4.33mm
Table Percentage: 61.00%
Depth Percentage: 59.99%
Crown Ú: 34.88‹
Crown Depth: 13.80%
Pavilion Ú: 40.99‹
Pavilion Depth: 43.40%
Policy: Limited Guarantee
$8332

or

Carat weight: 1.36
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: AGS

Depth: 61.9%
Table: 54.1%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Fluorescence: Neglible
Measurements: 7.12*7.16*4.43

Crown Angle: 34.5‹
Crown %: 15.80
pavilion Angle: 41.0‹
pavilion %: 43.30
$8320

or

Item Number: 1201602
Carat weight: 1.51
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 62.4%
Table: 57.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.32*7.36*4.58

As usual, I am torn between size and quality. The only thing I am sure about is the setting, which is attached

Thanks in advance

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would prefer #2, but #1 could be good if I think it is from that vendor.

no idea on #3, lacks the crown and pavilion angles to make a judgement.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome rodmichael,

Can you provide the crown and pavilion angles for the last diamond please? Also do you have any idealscope images for any of these please?

rodmichael

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies. I have since found a diamond in person and would like some feedback as I will likely be making a purchase this week.

1.31 ct
I color
SI1 Clarity
Round
Depth : 61.1
Table: 56.1
Ideal polish and symmetry
No Fluorescence
Measurements: 7.03, 7.08, 4.31
Crown Angle: 34.4
Pav. angle: 40.7
H&A: yes
AGS lab
approx 8k

I am hesitant about the I color but love the diamond. Any thoughts on the color, anyone?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
no issue for me for I color but I am color insensitive.

Looks good on the numbers.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you link the stones....they all are potentially very nice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A reliably graded I colour should be fine, as you can see the diamond in person ask if you can check it out away from the store lights as this should give you a better idea.

rodmichael

Rough_Rock
Weight:1.37
Cut:Ideal
Color:F
Clarity:SI2
Laboratory:GIA
Measurements:7.21-7.24x4.35mm
Depth:60.2%
Table:58%
Girdle:Thin to Medium
Culet:NONE
Polish:EXCELLENT
Symmetry:EXCELLENT
Fluorescence:NONE

HCA score: 1.1 (ex, ex, ex, ex)
Depth % 60.2
Table % 58
Crown Angle: 33.5
Pavilion Angle: 41

approx $7300, which I think is a steal. I have narrowed my search down to 2 diamonds, the other being:

Weight:1.31
caratCut:IdealColor:FClarity:SI1
Laboratory:AGS, H&A
Measurements:7.03-7.08x4.31mm
Depth:61.1%
Table:56.1%
Girdle:Thin to Medium
Culet:NONE
Polish:Ideal
Symmetry:Ideal
Fluorescence:NONE
HCA score: .9 (ex, ex, ex, vg)
Depth % 61.1
Table % 56.1
Crown Angle: 34.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.7

approx $8200

1k difference in price, the H&A is an I where the GIA Ideal is an F color, both score well on the HCA, and the GIA is .06 cts bigger

any thoughts??
28.gif

I am proposing soon, your help is appreciated
30.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are both eye-clean?

rodmichael

Rough_Rock
I haven''t seen the 1.37 in person, the 1.31 is eye clean.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the 1.37c is eye-clean I would go for that, else the 1.31c.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 6:02:30 PM
Author: rodmichael
http://www.mondera.com/diamonds/certificate.asp?cert=120225/242-0599.jpg

does this look like it will be eye clean?

Do you happen to know, or can u comment on, Mondera''s reputation?

Nope, never heard of them.

Anyway, you cannot judge if a stone is eye-clean from the report. It is only used to map out where the inclusions are, you have no idea of the intensity, color from the report. The best way is to ask the vendor about it.

Also, a thing to note in buy SI1 and lower clarity stones is to note the extra comments such as additional clouds not shown. These could be small, insignificant or very wide-spread but low intensity. The widespread kind could result in reduce optical performance by partially blocking light returns making the stone less lively even if it performs well on the HCA prediction.

This stone might have that characteristic. Do you trust the vendor enough to let them make that judgment for you?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2008 6:18:52 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

Date: 12/16/2008 6:02:30 PM
Author: rodmichael
http://www.mondera.com/diamonds/certificate.asp?cert=120225/242-0599.jpg

does this look like it will be eye clean?

Do you happen to know, or can u comment on, Mondera's reputation?

Nope, never heard of them.

Anyway, you cannot judge if a stone is eye-clean from the report. It is only used to map out where the inclusions are, you have no idea of the intensity, color from the report. The best way is to ask the vendor about it.

Also, a thing to note in buy SI1 and lower clarity stones is to note the extra comments such as additional clouds not shown. These could be small, insignificant or very wide-spread but low intensity. The widespread kind could result in reduce optical performance by partially blocking light returns making the stone less lively even if it performs well on the HCA prediction.

This stone might have that characteristic. Do you trust the vendor enough to let them make that judgment for you?
Mondera have a good rep as far as I am aware, but don't have in house diamonds to the best of my knowledge.

SC, this is not true. Where it just says " clouds not shown" in the comments section of a grading report, it means they are a non issue and just mentioned for the sake of completeness. They will not have a negative impact on the diamond. If clouds were the grade maker then possibly they could have a negative effect and this would need checking for in this case as it would appear they are the grade makers, and if it said ' clarity is based on clouds which are not shown", but not if simply ' not shown' in the comments section.

So to summarize, clouds which are a grade setter could be an issue, with caution being needed with SI1 and SI2 particularly. " Clouds not shown" in the comments section, not an issue.

From John Pollard - "Not shown" means the characteristic was taken into consideration when assigning the grade but keeps the impression in perspective."

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2008 4:48:40 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
Then read this topic where Gary explains his point, which I believe makes sense.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-question.68341/

Yes and I think you misunderstood, Garry is saying as I did that grade making clouds can be a problem in some clarities, not clouds not shown in the comments section, see here quoted from this thread from Garry.

"I should have qualified that "Clouds not shown" is a normal and frequent warning because it is impossible to represent a cloud on paper without over representing the cloud.

My other statements stay however. When the cloud is the grade maker I would never buy an SI stone and i would be very careful with a VS2 - if the cloud was near the culet it would be very bad."
And from Wink concerning clouds not shown and why Garry made the statements above.

- " While I would agree with you in the SI2 and I1 catagories that have cliouds setting the grade, I will have to respectfully dissagree with you on the above comment. I have seen way too many stones with the "additional clouds not shown" comment that were talking about such tiny clouds of pinpoints with NO affect on light performance to ever agree with such a blanket statement. If you are referring to the lower grades, then yes, I agree, but your statement makes it look as if you are warning people to avoid all stones with such a comment, which would relegate WAY TOO MANY wonderful stones to the "unsaleables" catagory."

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is an SI2, a lower grade. I am just warning him. It is up to him to decide if he will want to go on with that.

Remember the case, I forgot who, who bought a stone that was AGS0 but turns out darker? I remember it was an SI1 with additional clouds not shown comment.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those reading if a cloud or clouds are grade setter, for example the reason that a diamond is an SI2 clarity grade, then this definitely warrants careful evaluation by a trusted vendor. Because the diamond above has clouds as the grade setters and it is an SI2 then it needs to be checked by an expert because of this. The remark in the comments section stating ' clouds not shown/ additional clouds not shown' is not of concern.

Clouds not shown/ additional clouds not shown in the comments section of a grading report of a diamond is considered to be a non issue, see the thread below also.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-does-this-mean-on-gia-cert.78836/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results