shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying an 'as new' Tiffany' ring- any advice?

Davecon1

Rough_Rock
Hi there

I've been researching rings for quite a while and had a good idea what I was looking for (0.80-0.90 ct, VS1, EFG, princess cut on white gold/platinum ring). In the past we have looked in jewellers and always come back to the some 'simple' style of ring as opposed to anything fancy of course I'm hoping that my partner will like my choice as it will be a big surprise.

From looking around on the net and in jewellery stores in the UK (I live here) the price for this type of ring is around $4,000-$5,000. Does this seem about right? i think the UK is generally more expensive than the US.

Anyway I was searching through ebay of all places and came across someone selling an as new Tiffany ring which happened to match my criteria (0.85ct, VS1, G with excellent cut and the receipt. paperwork, box etc). He was asking for $7000 for a ring that he said was never actually worn as he split with his girlfriend before he could pop the question. I met the guy and he seems genuine and I can believe his story as a similar situation happened to a friend a few years back.

We took a trip to Tiffany where they checked the paperwork and the laser engraving on the diamond/ring and everything checks out. I couldn't get an appraisal as that takes a couple of weeks but they did say it was a very nice stone and that the new retail value would be around $9000 and I have offered $5500 which he has accepted. The plan is to meet back at Tiffany to double check everything is OK

Am I being crazy for buying an 'as new' ring? It ticks all the boxes and I know that my partner would love a Tiffany ring although she would probably be happy with a ring full stop!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

a.jpeg

f.jpeg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
If Tiffany's authenticates it then I think it is a good deal. It is basically the same as new (I believe they will even give you a new box/resize/etc.)

one thing though...you said your GF wanted a princess cut ring?

Also, the 'crack' is the knife-edge styling. I would definitely want someone from Tiffany's to check it over to make sure there is nothing wrong with it, but other than that it sounds good.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Long as it's real and undamaged, I don't see any issues.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
Davecon1|1316111425|3018312 said:
Am I being crazy for buying an 'as new' ring? It ticks all the boxes and I know that my partner would love a Tiffany ring although she would probably be happy with a ring full stop!

You're not crazy. You're savvy. And you seem to know what your girlfriend likes. So, I see no problems.

The trip to Tiffany was a good move. If they say everything checks out (diamond, setting), then you're good.

If you are concerned about proposing with a ring purchased prior to a break up, you can desymbolize it simply by having a fantastic, memorable celebration with your partner after you propose.

Nice work.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I am confused. You said you were looking for a princess (square) diamond but the photo is a round. It sounds like a good deal but was a princess cut specifically requested by your girlfriend?

You were lucky to find a seller on ebay that was local enough to accompany you to a Tiffany store. Quite unusual but so much easier for your transaction.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a fantastic opportunity as long as she wants a round stone! I'd definitely buy it!

Rough_Rock
$5500 for a never used Tiffany ring with that spec is a good value, if Tiffany can authenticate it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
100|1316151343|3018703 said:
$5500 for a never used Tiffany ring with that spec is a good value, if Tiffany can authenticate it.

I agree it's a good value. But it may be a terrible deal. A deal isn't a GOOD deal unless you get exactly what you want.

And I'm concerned about the princess issue.

I did NOT want a round brilliant. And honestly even an ideal cut Harry Winston round brilliant ring wouldn't have made me as happy as my asscher. I still don't want a round brilliant, and let me tell you I appreciate them a 1000% more now than I ever did.

Please make sure she will be okay with a round.

Davecon1

Rough_Rock
D'oh! :???:

I meant round as opposed to princess. My colleague next to me just got married so I get to see her princess cut ring a little too often! It must have been on my mind when I posted but just to clarify I meant round.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Davecon1|1316186952|3018840 said:
D'oh! :???:

I meant round as opposed to princess. My colleague next to me just got married so I get to see her princess cut ring a little too often! It must have been on my mind when I posted but just to clarify I meant round.

oh, well if she wants a round then this seems like it could be a great choice! please keep us posted and let us know what happens when you go to Tiffanys!

Davecon1

Rough_Rock
Hello again

For anyone following this post I promised that I would post again letting people know how everything went.

I met the seller and we took another trip to Tiffanys in the hope that it could be appraised on the spot. Unfortunately the official appraiser was on holiday but a member of staff said the ring looked brand new (no scuffs, markings etc). After that we tried another couple of jewellers nearby for another appraisal but again everyone seemed to be away on holiday!

At this point I was 90% sure that everything was legitimate but would have to go without the official appraisal :shock: and paid for the ring (about $5000). My heart was pounding and I suddenly thought the seller might have gone for a ring switch while I was not looking but I could see that it was the same ring and I headed back to Tiffanys and left it there for an official appraisal. That would take 2-3 weeks.

Two weeks later I received a call from Tiffany to say the appraisal was ready. Heart pounding again I headed there and picked up the letter and ring which confirmed everything was fine and that the retail replacement price would be about $11,000 :o . I even managed to get it repackaged and at the moment the ring is hidden at home.

Now comes the fun bit- the proposal!

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations. The ring is beautiful and classic. You did very well with that deal. :appl: Good luck on your proposal.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!!! Congratulations!!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great!!! :appl: I would LOVE to buy a new second hand Tiffany ring! You did very, very well!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What a perfect ring--and price too!

cheers--Sharon

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful deal! Let us know what she thinks!!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh I'm so glad it worked out!!! Please post more pictures after you propose :)

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
Awesome. Very awesome. I'm glad it all worked out for you.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I love your ring - the Tiffany setting is my all-time favorite. It's beautiful! Congrats on getting such a great deal. Best wishes to you and your girlfriend!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should feel awesome!!!!! - when is the proposal????

Davecon1

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!

The proposal HAS to be before January 17 as that's our 4 year anniversary. We're about to book a November trip to either Vancouver (love that place especially Whistler) or more likely the Dominican Republic for some winter sun. The other alternative would be when she is at home for Christmas in Poland as her family will be there. Then again they don't speak much English!!

As always will play by ear and think of a fun way to propose that she will never expect. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Nov. trip sounds ideal! I'd do it before Christmas because it will be busy enough taking the trip to Poland and visiting family. Doing it before then will also better allow her to talk to her family about the wedding if she has had a few weeks to think about it. Just a few thoughts from a mother-of-the-bride from last Dec.!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Beautiful ring and a great deal! :appl:

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
You did great!!! What a steal on the ring. Be sure to post lots of pictures after you propose!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on getting an amazing deal on your engagement ring. Can't wait to hear the details about your proposal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results