shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a Top Quality Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chowchow99

Rough_Rock
Okay so here goes my questions.
I'm looking to buy between 2.75 and 3.0 carat round diamond loose stone. This stone has to be either D or E color and at least VS1 clarity. It's for my 20th anniversay and I want it to be the most spectacular stone for a spectacular wife. My budget can stretch to $37K-$42K. What reports and complete set of numbers should I look for to get a stone of the quality I want? Please be specific on the numbers and reports. I've been burned before and don't want it to happen again! Please don't tell me about SI1's being more priceable and good value. I want the above specs and won't settle for anything less. Is a stone of this quality possible for the price range I have in mind?
What dealers online should I look to for this quality? I spoke to a salesperson at Tiffanys and their prices were off the wall and not exactly what I was looking for,either. Please help ASAP....

chowchow99

Rough_Rock
Sorry but these don't appear to be the overall quality that I'm looking for.
All things considered..table size,symmetry and polish not top quality.
there must be better somewhere.

Hodne

Rough_Rock
If you're looking for the specs. I think you are, you are looking at 50-60k.
Like these:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/2_73ct_e_vvs1_h%26a.htm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/new_page_27.htm

(http://www.goodoldgold.com/2_63ct_d_vvs2_h%26a.htm)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/9/2004 5:09:44 AM chowchow99 wrote:

There must be better somewhere.----------------

Hm... how about these?

One

two

Three

Of course, there aothers, both where these came from and elsewhere. All you need is a seller who picks his diamonds according to the quality of their cut above all. There probably is a better deal to be had among all pricescope has to ofer. My question is: is this (as above) the kind of quality you are after?

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
I think that it is possible for you to get a stone in your criterias,I suggest that you look for these paramaters as far as cut is concerned, in order to get the best brilliancy and fire out of a stone:
d=59-62
t=53-57
girdle=thn-med fac.
polish=ex (vg)
symm=ex (vg)
flour.none (faint)

I would not hesitate to go to an F color also.

good luck
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
For your specific needs, my advice would be to contact a vendor who deals primarily in superideals and provides a great deal of supporting documentation. You need to explain your parameters in terms of carat weight, colour, clarity, cut, and cost, as you've outlined above, and go from there.

Some online vendors who cater to what you're looking for are:

www.goodoldgold.com
www.niceice.com
www.whiteflash.com
www.superbcert.com

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/9/2004 5:32:21 AM Hodne wrote:

If you're looking for the specs. I think you are, you are looking at 50-60k.
----------------

I have to second this.....the stones that are well-cut in these specs run between 50-65K.

It's not worth giving up cut to get the D color, in my opinion. The best I found in your range was a 3.024, H, VS2 with FANTASTIC cut proportions for $31,499 at GOG.

Everything else ran in the $48-65 range. Sorry

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
you'll never find it online. you have to go below 2.6. your budget isn't the problem. "ideal" stones of that size and quality are particularly scarce, and have been for a while.

good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/9/2004 10:59:30 AM rocks wrote:

you'll never find it online. you have to go below 2.6. your budget isn't the problem. 'ideal' stones of that size and quality are particularly scarce, and have been for a while.

good luck!----------------

Do you think there is a specific source ?

It does sound like the premium charged here and there for top cut quality (esp. whren it comes with a name) somewhat tops the given budget. But there are more than 100 stones with his specs listed here: once he'd go about asking for cut parameters and so, I find it hard to believe none of these will fit the bill. After all, there masn't be too many sellers who specialize in diamonds around 50k at this level.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
If you brought down the size a tiny bit to 2.69, this might work. And it's within your budget.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, now that I see what your budget is, here are some possibilities. You'll obviously want more information on a stone before making a decision.

2.50 E VS1 for $36K

2.52 E VVS2 for $41K

2.53 E VS1 for $37K

2.62 E VVS1 with med. bl. flour. for $43K

3.26 E VS1 with str. bl. flour. for $44K

I think you said in your other post that you wanted excellent symmetry and polish. The only other stones I came up with that met your specifications were less than "excellent" in these regards.

To stay in your budget, you could drop down in size:

2.14 D VVS1 for $42K

You will need to be flexible because, as others have pointed out, stones of this quality are scarce. You may need to play around with your size, color, or clarity to get as close to perfection as possible. Nobody is saying to throw your ideal standards to the wind and buy a J SI2. We are just advocating that, since your budget is probably set in stone, you may want to consider F and/or VS2 as well, or a slightly smaller stone. I would not sacrifice cut quality.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/9/2004 3:59:42 AM chowchow99 wrote:

Okay so here goes my questions.
I'm looking to buy between 2.75 and 3.0 carat round diamond loose stone. This stone has to be either D or E color and at least VS1 clarity. It's for my 20th anniversay and I want it to be the most spectacular stone for a spectacular wife. My budget can stretch to $37K-$42K. .... ----------------

As someone who received a 3c for 20th anniversary present - let me give you my perpective. Since I am the shopper in the family (literally professional), my husband gave me a gift of 50K to get a great stone. He wanted me to have at least the specs on what my orig. e-ring had f/vvs. He, also, perceived quality on paper to translate that I would feel more special. I didn't see it that way. I thought it to be wasteful & too extravagant. I always felt we overbought on quality on the orig e-ring.

So, off on my adventure I went. I had *no* intention of spending 50K on something like a diamond. I wanted to keep the stone around 25K w/ 30K being the top. Orginally, I thought 2c was a better mark for me. But, the lure of something different & the fact I didn't want to revisit the size ever again, I started looking at 3c. 3c is the most my little hands can carry. I lowered *his* parameters to a G/VS stone. After viewing several 3c stones 3 months later I ended up w/ a "I" color w/ med/strong blue fluor, SI1 or 2, very good make stone. I have it set in a platinum Vatche 3 stone setting w/ baguettes (at least g color) on the sides. All said & done, I hit under the 20K mark, setting included. My hubby is so impressed that I was able to get something beautiful & pleasing to the eye for less than 1/2 his gift. I credit my jeweler & working myself around many diamond sites to have the confidence to purchase a stone of lesser quality on *paper*.

People don't ask about the specs. People just see the size & the sparkle. Women are practical sorts. I would rather give the extra money away than worry about how much money I am wearing on my hand. Perhaps my choice isn't something you can live with; but, I would seriously consider lowering your parameters. I've been there & done that - so I speak from a women's experience. And, always feel men tend to overbuy on the paper specs. Actual quality & perceived quality often don't mesh in diamond buying.

BTW, I viewed a D 3c stone that was poorly cut - to be candid, it was butt ugly. I never went back to that jeweler b/c they were trying to convince me that it was the best of the best. While not a big advocate of buying the super duper louper ideals, cut is the art of the stone - and for the most part has the least effect on price. You'll pay a premium for an ideal cut stone - but not the premium you will pay for a colorless, near flawless clarity stone.

Good luck & start to think outside the box. I'm *so* glad I did.

Edited to add: Part of the reason hubby gave me such a healthy budget is because he knows how picky I am. I'm not a label chaser; but, I appreciate very fine quality. Won't sleep on anything but x count cotton thread sheets, etc.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 1/9/2004 10:59:30 AM rocks wrote:

you'll never find it online. you have to go below 2.6. your budget isn't the problem. 'ideal' stones of that size and quality are particularly scarce, and have been for a while.

good luck!
----------------
I'd second this. Those 2 new recent additions (2.63 & 2.73ct D, E, VVS) I have not seen in years (regarding this caliber of cut).

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I'll third it. Large top color/clarity rough is in extremely high demand right now, and not everyone who gets it is willing to cut to ideal/superideal proportions because of the greater loss of weight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results