shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a EGL International diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rju0711

Rough_Rock
I am hoping someone can help me determine whether I should buy a certain diamond or stay away based on the certification. Recently I have been looking for diamond rings and found a very nice setting that both my girlfriend and I liked very much. However, when I went back to the store to get prices and pick out a diamond for it they showed me a D color SI2 .93 pear shaped diamond. Now while I do not know much about diamonds I did look up information online about certifications but got conflicting information from what I found online and what I was told at the store. The diamond they had was certified by EGL but did not say US on it and when I questioned them about the difference I was told there is not difference. The thing is I do not have to buy a D color stone and would probably be happy with say a lesser color but do not want to go lower then SI2. Should I stay away from the EGL international certification and if so what are the reasons? Also, is it abnormal for a buyer to request the seller to send the diamond to GIA for another certification or is there another route I could go to confirm the grading?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2008 2:36:25 AM
Author:rju0711
I am hoping someone can help me determine whether I should buy a certain diamond or stay away based on the certification. Recently I have been looking for diamond rings and found a very nice setting that both my girlfriend and I liked very much. However, when I went back to the store to get prices and pick out a diamond for it they showed me a D color SI2 .93 pear shaped diamond. Now while I do not know much about diamonds I did look up information online about certifications but got conflicting information from what I found online and what I was told at the store. The diamond they had was certified by EGL but did not say US on it and when I questioned them about the difference I was told there is not difference. The thing is I do not have to buy a D color stone and would probably be happy with say a lesser color but do not want to go lower then SI2. Should I stay away from the EGL international certification and if so what are the reasons? Also, is it abnormal for a buyer to request the seller to send the diamond to GIA for another certification or is there another route I could go to confirm the grading?
Welcome!

It has been discussed here many times that some think EGL labs may vary in accuracy, with EGL USA generally believed to be the strongest lab. You can use this tool if you get the report number, to find out which lab it is, although if I was told that it made no difference and they refused to give me the info I asked for, I wouldn''t shop there, I would suggest you find another vendor who is willing to help you feel confident about your purchase! You could request the diamond be sent to GIA, whether this vendor would be prepared to do it or not though is another matter. Then if it came back graded higher, or even the same, the price may rise, if it graded lower to an I1 clarity, you may not want it.

http://www.egl.co.za/Certificate%20and%20Queries.htm

If you are really set on this stone, make the sale final on this diamond checking out favourably with an independant appraiser, if the vendor won''t permit this, again go elsewhere!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My view is that the better stones are sent to GIA (or AGS) to begin with, so I would always be wary of EGL and assume that clor and/or clarity is actually a bit lower than stated on the cert. I''d want some GIA stones brought in to compare to it at the very minimum.

sparxs111

Shiny_Rock
I would follow the advice given. EGL USA sometimes has a good reputation depending on who you talk to but EGL Isreal usually get a little negative feedback. For more accurate certs I would go for GIA or AGS. If you don''t need a D you could maybe always drop to a G and get a higher clarity..??!! Remember to ask your vendors if the stone is eye clean if you''re going for the SI''s. Good luck.

rju0711

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your opinions and help! I was sure if it is normal for a buyer to request an outside appraisal done on a diamond or if stores really allow this to happen. How much does it normally cost to have GIA certify a diamond and if you own a store despite what you sell do you trust EGL international certification?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results