shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a diamond ring in Dubai

Y44KCM

Rough_Rock
Hi,

My fiancée and I are currently in Dubai and looking to buy an engagement ring as a lot of people recommended us to come here as you will get more for your money than back home in the UK.

We have found a round cut 1.20 carat, F in colour and SI2 in clarity and it's excellent, excellent, excellent in cut with none fluorescents. For the diamond and a platinum setting, we are being quoted about 21,000 AED (roughly £4038). The diamond comes certified with an IGI certificate. Has anyone had any experience with buying diamonds in Dubai and whether this is a reasonable price or am I getting ripped off?

Thank you

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Most people on Pricescope will recommend GIA or AGS certification only. My family and I have shopped for jewelry and diamonds in Dubai- they have GIA certified diamonds there, but they are packaged and you can not open the package to view the diamond before you buy. Which means you cant see ASET images of the stone or request them. I found that Dubai is great for shopping for gold and ethnic jewelry, but pricing for diamonds is not more competitive than it is in the US. I can't speak for the UK though. I also feel like there is less information available to you In Dubai when you are in the market for diamonds.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement Y44KCM,
For and IGI stone, it is no more or less expensive than buying the exact same stone in the UK from an online vendor. The one place I would stay away from buying is in a high street shop in the UK, you will get ripped of something terrible there! This stone would be much more expensive there. The things you need to consider are
1. You would need to pay tax if buying from an online vendor in the UK so buying in Dubai could save 20% instantly if you do not declare the ring on entering the country.
2. As it is not GIA, is the stone of a standard that is acceptable to you. If not, you may not be saving money at all, as the vendor could be asking for a price for a diamond which is not graded to the higher GIA standards
3.To my eye an SI2 would be too included. Can this inclusion be covered by a prong?
4. Are you happy to buy stones that are still in the packet? It may be difficult to assess the inclusions/ Colour cut etc, if the stone is still in the plastic. I have been in shops where even the IGI cert stones are still in plastic and cannot be removed until after purchase. The only exception is if the diamond is already set in a ring.
Good luck and enjoy the sunshine, I think we are in for a rainy bank holiday here in the UK!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Y44KCM|1430417993|3870177 said:
Hi,

My fiancée and I are currently in Dubai and looking to buy an engagement ring as a lot of people recommended us to come here as you will get more for your money than back home in the UK.

We have found a round cut 1.20 carat, F in colour and SI2 in clarity and it's excellent, excellent, excellent in cut with none fluorescents. For the diamond and a platinum setting, we are being quoted about 21,000 AED (roughly £4038). The diamond comes certified with an IGI certificate. Has anyone had any experience with buying diamonds in Dubai and whether this is a reasonable price or am I getting ripped off?

Thank you

The price falls in-line with competitive global pricing if we presume similar specs.

Presuming similar specs requires the following:

* The IGI report is their Loose Diamond or H&A report - not a finished jewelry report.
* The grading is accurate - which lab location graded it? Dubai? Jaipur? Surat?
* This SI2 is a good SI2 to your eye, if you see inclusions they don't bother you, it's not 'sleepy.'
* The clarity grade does not state *based on* clouds (or pinpoints, etc.) not shown.
* The Excellent cut is nominal - IGI loose-diamond and H&A reports, especially, are stricter than GIA's grading in this area, but posting average measurements would be helpful here.

RosieR said:
4. Are you happy to buy stones that are still in the packet? It may be difficult to assess the inclusions/ Colour cut etc, if the stone is still in the plastic. I have been in shops where even the IGI cert stones are still in plastic and cannot be removed until after purchase.
This is a regional thing. Some places yes, others no. Some consumer-markets want the security against diamond-swap by the jeweler. With that said, a security-sealed loose diamond purchase would be a deal-breaker for me, as so many components go beyond a letter-grade and must be inspected in-person. Your mileage may vary.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought already several things in Dubai. We live also in Europe, and you can find there really good deals, if you know, what to look for! The ring in my avatar was also bought and made in Dubai! If you are interested, just pm me!
You can find GIA stones, and I am sure, cheaper than in UK!
Of course, you have to be careful, and bargain! Every time you have to bargain, because they set the prices at first high, but if you are good at bargaining, you can get a good deal! It is part of the cultur there to bargain! Don't forget it!
I was also able to buy GIA stones, where they took it from the packaging, and also showed me the GIA number in the girdle. So I was able to look at the number, and compare it with the certificate.
Where are you shopping? In the Dubai Mall or somewhere else?

Y44KCM

Rough_Rock
dkata|1430505283|3870710 said:
I bought already several things in Dubai. We live also in Europe, and you can find there really good deals, if you know, what to look for! The ring in my avatar was also bought and made in Dubai! If you are interested, just pm me!
You can find GIA stones, and I am sure, cheaper than in UK!
Of course, you have to be careful, and bargain! Every time you have to bargain, because they set the prices at first high, but if you are good at bargaining, you can get a good deal! It is part of the cultur there to bargain! Don't forget it!
I was also able to buy GIA stones, where they took it from the packaging, and also showed me the GIA number in the girdle. So I was able to look at the number, and compare it with the certificate.
Where are you shopping? In the Dubai Mall or somewhere else?

Thank you all for your input. I have been haggling like mad all week and been to a lot of shops to try and get the best price and this is the best I could get. Like you have all said the stone is still in the packet and we will probably only seen it properly once purchased. They have said if we are going to buy it, they'll take it out the package and show that the certificate number on the stone matches the IGI certificate before they set it.

I have had a lot of people tell me that Dubai is much cheaper for diamonds right but like you say the price seems to fall in line with what online vendors charge you.

Thank you

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Y44KCM|1430543363|3870969 said:
Thank you all for your input. I have been haggling like mad all week and been to a lot of shops to try and get the best price and this is the best I could get. Like you have all said the stone is still in the packet and we will probably only seen it properly once purchased. They have said if we are going to buy it, they'll take it out the package and show that the certificate number on the stone matches the IGI certificate before they set it.
Any chance you can phone-photo the grading report? Or provide the report number?

Y44KCM

Rough_Rock
John Pollard|1430576787|3871135 said:
Y44KCM|1430543363|3870969 said:
Any chance you can phone-photo the grading report? Or provide the report number?

The report number is IGI 116425591

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Link to the PDF: http://www.igiworldwide.com/viewpdf.php?r=116425591

It's a loose diamond report and the Mumbai lab is reliable, since much of their output flows to China where national standards are in-play.

The clarity plot is promising. It has numerous benign pinpoints and needles working, which can make a more subtle SI2 than one with a single big inclusion.The grade-setting characteristic is not listed. In most cases I'd wager on the pavilion feather or the crown crystals but can't say for sure. I'd urge you to examine it with a loupe or microscope, even in the plastic, and be sure the central crown cloud doesn't result in a "dead" area under the table. It should not but this is a big spend - so be certain.

The listed proportions qualify for GIA EX and make it a candidate for AGS 0 performance. No way to know decisively with the minor facet measurements missing, and no indication of cut consistency or precision, but the basics are positive. It's a 60-60 make, meaning it will have more brightness than fire in the overall balance of visual qualities.

All of this comes from looking at a PDF on my side, though. You'll be in the best position to judge for yourself, in live examination.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was in Dubai recently and did not feel it was a good place to buy diamonds. Lots of 'maul' type goods and overpricing. That said, I was not looking seriously. But didn't like what I saw anyways.

I did buy gold jewelry. In my experience, you can't get the gold for less than whatever its trading for that day (international fair market pricing) - but where you can play is in the 'making fee' (labor charges). Negotiating was fun. Plus there was a great selection. Helloooooo, gold souk!!

Anne

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dkata,

Your ring is lovely and I might be looking for something similar when I am in Dubai next week.
I would be most grateful for some guidance re where to go and what to look for etc.
I tried to PM you but I'm new to the form so not so sure how.

Thank you!

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
How did your purchase go Y44?
Who did you buy from?

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dear Strawberries1,
thank you for your comment about my ring! I am very happy with it!

I don't know, if it is allowed, but i can tell you where I bought it! The shop is called Diamond World, and ask for the sales assistant Rajul. He is a very good educated sales assistant, and very patient. I really can recommend him! Should you have any other questions, just ask me, or try to pm me!

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your reply Dkata.
It appears PS doesn't accommodate private messaging.

I thought I read somewhere it was National Jewellery you bought from.
So Diamond World have an Idealscope?
Did you find that most stores had one?

I'm so excited now!

Thank you.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To tell the truth, not the shop is the most important, but the sales assistant! I go always to Rajul, but he changed at about 6 month ago from one shop to another. Therefore I wrote you the name of the new shop! I visited him also there, and they even had a broather selection!
Regarding ideal scope: no the shops usually do not have it, they don't even know it! BUT I gifted one ASET scope to Rajul, so he has that one! He really appreciated it, and uses it frequently! You just have to ask him for it! I know, ideal scope is better for rounds, but he has at least an ASET.

I wish you a nice time in Dubai, and please, update me about your experiences!

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again!

If I have an idealscope or Aset scope I would be more confident buying my oval.
May I ask where you bought your's from? I would love to get an Idealscope or Asetscope to use on this trip.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results