shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a Diamond Engagement ring, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hdejarne

Rough_Rock
I''m buying a diamond engagement ring, and I''m fairly new at this. I''m trying to keep a budget less than 2700. Here''s a diamond that I''m considering:

Carat Weight: 0.96
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Shape: Round
Depth: 59.1%
Table: 59%
Polish: GD
Symmetry: VG
Culet: N
Girdle: THN TO MED
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.48x6.54x3.85

The Diamond is a GIA certified, and the price is just over 2500 dollars. I''m planning on setting it in White Gold, what do you think? I''m trying to find the biggest "eye clean" diamond I can for the money. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

RonTheConfused

Rough_Rock
Hi,

WARNING: I'm a fellow diamond-seeker, not an expert.
1.gif

If you value SIZE over QUALITY, consider a larger table size. A larger table makes the diamond look bigger and cost less.

53%-57%: AGS 0 quality
52%-59%: AGS 1 quality
51%-61%: AGS 2 quality
51%-63%: AGS 3 quality (some fish-eye)
51%-65%: AGS 4 quality (more fish-eye)

Going from 59% to 61% there will be less impact on quality. From 61% to 65% there will be more impact on quality. Don't go above 65%.

For a more detailed analysis, you should publish the Pavillion and Crown angles or percentages. Ask for Sarin or OGI Megascope readings from the dealer.

-- Ron

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
This diamond is a bit on the shallow side. The near 60/60 ratio can be very tricky. You really need Crown and Pavillion angles for better opinion. It could be a gorgeous performer, but you won't know for sure without more info.

J color IDEAL cuts face up very white and have very little body color. This diamond might have a warmer look to it, especially set in white gold.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Rin... Why are you assuming that a 63% or 65% table diamond has a fisheye? Sometimes they do, but not always.
BTW, It's a good suggestion to look for a 61-64 table, which will make the stone look a bit bigger -- you may be able to find spready stones too, with 57-60% depth, which will lppk considerably bigger than another diamond with close characteristics but a higher, let's say 63.5% depth.

Best of Luck!
1.gif

hdejarne

Rough_Rock
Thanks for you help! I've found that "Cut" is the most confusing of the 4C's (The I suppose who doesn't right?) After doing a little reading, I've just been going off what the online jewelers like "Mondera", "BlueNile", and "DirtCheapDiamonds" have been saying like "Ideal", "Very Good" etc.

I didn't think about making the table larger so that the diamond would appear larger, that's a great idea! I'm VERY unfamiliar with the AGS quality standards. I have a couple of questions:

1 - How big can I get the Table % without spoiling the Cut?
2 - What is the difference between "Very Good", and "Good" cut's on most of the online jewelry websites. I noticed that most of the larger tables are on "Good" cut's on "DirtCheapDiamonds". I figured that since cut is so important, I didn't want to skimp on that.
3 - If I get an "I" color diamond instead of J as I mentioned earlier, would that get rid of the warmth that the J diamond will have?

Thanks so much for you help!
twirl.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If possible, you may want to look for a stone w/ med/strong blue fluor. The bl. fl. has a good chance of the stone facing up whiter(color graded face down).

Also, as stated, a well cut stone has a better chance of masking body color.

Good luck!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Actually, an AGS Cert will be easier to work with. AGS lists Crown and Pavillion angles right on their Certs. Then you have all the numbers you need to use the Cut Adviser here (link above) to evaluate each diamond. The Cut Adviser is a great tool that I found veeerrrry useful.
1.gif

AGS and GIA Certed diamonds are comparably priced. You aren't looking at a price premium hike to consider AGS like AGS/GIA compared to EGL.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results