shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a Bezel Setting Online - risky?

Emily117

Rough_Rock
I inherited a 3/4 carat old mine cut (round) diamond and i am looking for an affordable setting. I found a white gold bezel halo setting that is exactly what i want, the seller said she can make it to fit a 3/4 carat diamond - I am worried if it doesn't match the diamond size close enough that a jeweler wont be able to set the diamond for me. How risky is it to buy a bezel setting online? Can jewelers usually work with them and make it fit? I tried to find one i like at a jeweler and nothing is quite what I want.

Thanks for reading!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With it being an old mine cut, I would be concerned that it's not married up properly shape-wise, as OMCs tend to be a little wonky and not perfectly round or cushion ... usually somewhere in between and maybe a little "off" in one corner or something.

I am not a jeweler so I don't know how much wiggle room there may be to make it work.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Emily117|1457694248|4003305 said:
How risky is it to buy a bezel setting online? Can jewelers usually work with them and make it fit?
It's not any riskier than buying at a brick and mortar shop, as long as the seller knows what they are doing. There's quite a bit of downward tolerance and the amount of tolerance depends on how this the bezel wall is. That said, a competent jeweler can make nearly anything fit, even if it means replacing the upper bezel wall or making an entirely new bezel with a different sized opening. It's not rocket science and most bench folks can do this easily.
Oh, an Old Mine Cut diamond is definitely not round, so maybe you have something else, any pictures?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results