shape
carat
color
clarity

buyer''s remorse?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2carrots

Rough_Rock
I bought a diamond last week and have a slight twinge of buyer's remorse. I researched diamonds because my fiance was too busy to do it and I would be making the ultimate decision. The thing is, I learned so much on this website about things like brilliancescope images, idealscope images, HCA scores, pavilion angle and crown angle. I thought that I knew exactly what I wanted on paper. However, when I started physically looking at diamonds, that info. seemed to move to the back of my mind. I ended up buying a round 1.6 ct. diamond, VS2, D, VG polish/VG symmetry without any sarin data (it's a GIA stone and although I got the stone appraised, the appraiser didn't have a sarin machine) simply because it looked nice to the naked eye and was a good deal. The only thing that came close was a round 1.52 ct. diamond, VS2, F, Ex polish/Ex symmetry with slightly more brilliance if you looked hard enough for a couple of minutes. Both have ideal table and depth percentages. Under the loupe, the first stone was definitely cleaner. The stones were also only $600 apart in price. Other Ex polish/Ex symmetry stones that I looked were not quite as brilliant. In short, I'm beginning to wonder if I should've looked harder and gotten all the technical info. before I bought the think. In the end, I just went with my instincts and my eyes. I'm beginning to worry that I've made a mistake. The stone is no longer refundable, but I think I could get an exchange. Any thoughts????:errrr:

student

Shiny_Rock
I figure, why not just enjoy it? There is no consensus on these forums about what is the best way to choose a diamond--the HCA, the ideal-scope, the B-scope, an appraiser, or trusting your eyes. In the end you have to follow your instincts, which you did. Getting an appraisal might set your mind at ease, however.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I just went with my instincts and my eyes
-----------

Good for you! I love it when people trust their instincts and eyes over all the paperwork and statistics. That's what it's all about, buying a diamond that "talks" to you. That's a diamond you'll have a good relationship with all your life. Don't let anybody tell you different.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
2carrots, congratulations! Diamonds should be for fun and pleasure not for numbers :)

Enjoy your diamond! :)

Rockford

Rough_Rock
While I can't speak to your purchase in particular, I think a similar experience I had purchasing a home theater system recently may apply here...sort of.
Basically I knew as much (read: pretty much nothing!) about these things as I do diamonds and I beat myself up for a good long time comparing everything and could always find something to second-guess. Projection vs plasma vs tube, progressive scan, DTS, HDTV, HTiaB vs components, brand name comparions, and on, and on, and on. I tell you, it's very complicated with many factors to consider. Now what's that remind you of?
Then I just got to the point where I honestly think I was splitting hairs in the real world and just went with something that had most all the things I (yes, I - imagine that!) wanted but at a way better price than "the best" of everything.
Basically what I learned was this (and I think it holds true for pretty much anything you buy - even diamods): Buy what you yourself like because ultimately you're the one who's going to be using, eating, watching, or wearing it.
If you yourself are really unhappy with it that's one thing, but if you're questioning whether or not you SHOULD be unhappy with it because of what someone else tells you then I think you really have to be true to yourself and f*^$ 'em if they can't take a joke.

student

Shiny_Rock
Right on.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can totally relate to what you are saying here. I have done an enormous amount of research in the last 5-6 weeks (I become obsessed when I have a target in mind), but yet when we took all of that with us to our jeweler to look at 2 stones, everything flew out of my head and it was reduced to 'what stone looked cleaner through the loupe' and 'what looked prettier and sparkled more'. So we went with the one we liked the best for whatever reasons, though knowing its not exactly an 'ideal' cut like I was SO focused on finding originally. We are getting it appraised this weekend so we'll see if our eyes deceived us. However, we can exchange it if we are unhappy after the appraisal.

The other thing to think about is that there are thousands upon thousands of diamonds out there to choose from. That kind of selection can be a little overwhelming! I was concerned I didn't get a 'perfect' stone when we made our choice, then afterwards I was thinking, who cares! You could look for months or even years, and with the amount of knowledge you have and would gather, I really start to doubt whether any decision you (or I in the same situation) make would be entirely without pause. My boyfriend even asked 'when are you going to know enough to feel secure in this decision' and I couldn't even answer. So there need to be a saturation point where you feel secure in your knowledge, and trust your instincts. It's a huge purchase, but it sounds like you made a great decision! Congrats..let us know how it turns out!

:appl:

dannanews

Rough_Rock
I was in a simular situation. I know if I kept looking I could have saved some money. I could have gotten a diamond with better polish. I could have gotten one that had more light return. I must have looked at 50 stones. Here is the thing, both of the stones that you discribed are incredible stones. I purchased a very simular stone so I know how amazing it looks. When you are out with her, just look at how much she likes that stone. More importantly listen to what SHE has to say about it. When she says that she loves her ring, can you get that she is acknowledging YOU!?! She is telling you how much she appreciates what you bring to the relationship. What is it like for her now, to have such a special diamond and ring, what difference does that make for her?

If you can really get, really listen to what she is saying, without that little voice in your head talking about the other stone or the other this and that, then you'll be there with her, instead of in your head. Getting into her world will make such a huge difference that you won't even remember some $600 difference.

2carrots

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your words. They've made me realize that I did make the right decision and should just enjoy the diamond. :loopy:

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
There is certainly no issue with VG polish and sym -- read Good Old Gold's site. So I am not sure what you are wondering about. You did not skimp in any way -- D/VS2 is super. And you knocked out a lot of bad choices by considering table and depth, and did a final check with your eyes. Your slight remorse only makes sense if you are wondering why you spent all that energy and money for a little sparkly rock. Well, it is an engagement ring stone, so it has a purpose. It seems like it was a good choice because you did not compromise on specs so you never need to wonder if one color up would be more white looking, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results