shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyers Remorse Already!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dyingbreed

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a round diamond this past week........I have done online research on diamonds for over a year. I have searched forums, websites, tutorials, etc. I always planned on buying a GIA diamond with an Ideal or very good cut with a g or f color and with minimal inclusions. However, for the 1st time this week, I heard about EGL USA and how its standards are different from EGL Israel and how they are just as strict in their grading as GIA and their turn around time is faster. So its a win for vendors and the customer, at least thats what I was told. The only problem was that the diamond in choice only had a Gem ID Card and nothing else. All I had to rely on was the fact that it was .48ct, had an F color and SI1 clarity. The measurements are 5.31 - 5.24 X 2.83mm. I couldnt rely on the % like Im used to so to make a long story short, I took the plunge.

When I got home I went on eglusa site and entered the report # and thats when it hit me......I bought a bad diamond. The depth % was 53%. Everything else is as follows:

Weight 0.48 CT
Shape TRANSITION ROUND BRILLIANT
Color F
Clarity SI1
Measurements 5.31 x 5.24 x 2.83 mm
Depth 53.6%
Table 62%
Crown 9.8%
Pavilion 40%
Crown Angle 26.2°
Pavilion Angle 39.4°
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet SMALL

No wonder it didnt seem to have that brilliance I was looking for. I find it rather clear but dull and it looks like its just sitting in the setting. I literally feel sick because I put so much effort into research and when it finally came down to it....I failed. Im not looking for anyone to console me, I just feel the need to tell my story. Im sure a lot of other guys out there are going through the whole process and I just want to say.......stay focused......dont get emotional.......remember its a business transaction and its you against the jeweler no matter how nice or inviting or personable they may be....thats their job, they are pros......at the end of the day, with your money on the line....the burden all falls on you......so stick to what you know, dont waver, all the research is never done in vain, its meaningful and never second guess yourself....again know what you know and ..........STAY FOCUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you read this forum, you would have had plenty of warning to steer clear of all EGL stones unless you can have them independently appraised, and also, NEVER buy a diamond without a return period of at least 7-10 days. Another good idea is to come here and post stats before you buy.

Sorry this happened to you, but as you said, you relied on something a person selling a stone told you over all the research info you had obtained over the past year. My suggestion is to turn this stone into a pendant as soon as you can save the money to buy a new ring stone. And then come here first!!!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Where did you buy it from? Can you return it?

dyingbreed

Rough_Rock
Thats just the thing when I told him how I was uninterested in EGL diamonds, thats when he explained the difference between EGLUSA and EGL Israel. He stated that EGL Israel was very loose and how they had a bad reputation. So because of the discrepancy, I figured...hey maybe thats what everyone was talking about....

dyingbreed

Rough_Rock
farmer gal|1309616864|2960559 said:

Im sure I can, but I have everything set for July 4th proposal. Maybe afterward but then again....not sure.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
dyingbreed|1309617405|2960562 said:
farmer gal|1309616864|2960559 said:

Im sure I can, but I have everything set for July 4th proposal. Maybe afterward but then again....not sure.

definitely return it now!!!! you might not have everything ready for the July 4th proposal but I can imagine she would hate to receive a ring and then have to return it!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option would be to have BGD recut the diamond to better proportions if you couldn't return it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
If you return it ASAP, you may be able to pull off a 4th of July proposal, but you'd have to move fast. Do you have a 'Jared's' (Galleria of Jewelry) in your city? They carry AGS-graded Peerless diamonds, which may be an option.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
You might not be able to buy online in time for a 4th of July proposal, but surely there are reputable jewellery stores in your area that carry stones of quality that you could buy instead. Return as soon as possible and buy a new one. You can do it! :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, you could go locally or buy online and propose with just a picture of the ring? or a plastic ring and tell her the real one is on the way? definitely return this one though!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I doubt any online vendors can get something to you by the Fourth because of the holiday/shipping.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Return it and propose another day, or propose with a play ring or something and explain later why the ring is delayed. Don't give her a crappy diamond just for a timing issue. Why would any woman want that?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I really think that you could get an excellent quality diamond from a local store (though probably not as cheaply as online) and make your 4th of July proposal.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Return it and find an AGS0 or GIA EX locally to buy. Trust your eyes not the sales person. :wavey:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I would not want to wear a crappy diamond for the rest of my life for the sake of not wanting to wait a few days. Why not propose later or with something else and explain to her why. I'm sure she'd really appreciate just how much you want to get her a quality diamond and wouldn't mind waiting a few days for it.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree! This stone needs to be returned, and I know that you really want to propose on Monday, but like the rest said, do it with a CZ you bought at Wal Mart for 20 bucks, it will probably look the same as the one you have anyway, have a pic of the real ring with you and explain that there will be a slight delay because the ring wasn't as beautiful as she is. Girls don't like to part with their rings once they get them, and hey....this is going to be a great proposal story to share with friends and family and great grand kids one day!

Run now...go get a cheapy and come back next week with pics of an amazing rings!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're most likely wasting time looking for an older stone (transitional, old european, old mine) with a GIA report, they're few and far between - vast majority of these have EGLs - if any report - for a number of reasons (they aren't cut to modern standards and so will do poorly if judged by modern cut standards, GIA requires stones to be loose whereas EGL will grade set stones, so the stones don't have to be removed from their settings)

If you're looking for an older stone I'd recommend contacting www.jewelsbyericagrace.com and www.oldworlddiamonds.com to start with, and trawling some antiques sites - see if something catches your eye.

If you're looking for a modern RB and want to return the one you've got, we can help you find a replacement. DITTO delaying the proposal, or proposing with a fake ring/picture - I would not want to be stuck with what my FI *knows* is an ugly, glassy diamond just so he could propose on a certain date! Nor would I want to give the diamond back/switch to a new diamond days after being proposed to ;(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can return, I'd do it now!!! Don't confuse her by returning the diamond you propose with! No girl wants to have to give back the ring to be returned! She wants to show off her real e-ring to her friends and family. I would not propose with a ring that is going to be returned. But that is fantastic if you can return it! I'd be doing it TODAY!!!!

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
+ you're not sending the seller/EGL the right message...as long as people keep on buying these stones there will be no incentive for the seller and the lab to up their game and provide better stuff/better grading to customers.

Returning this stone is the only option for your peace of mind and it may eventually help future customers: if more people returned these stones to the jewellers they may end up having no choice but to be more honest and stop selling crap like it was top quality!

dyingbreed

Rough_Rock
slg47|1309619042|2960575 said:
yeah, you could go locally or buy online and propose with just a picture of the ring? or a plastic ring and tell her the real one is on the way? definitely return this one though!

That would not be ideal. Pun intended!!!!! :naughty:

dyingbreed

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1309637781|2960740 said:
If you can return, I'd do it now!!! Don't confuse her by returning the diamond you propose with! No girl wants to have to give back the ring to be returned! She wants to show off her real e-ring to her friends and family. I would not propose with a ring that is going to be returned. But that is fantastic if you can return it! I'd be doing it TODAY!!!!

I wish I could return today but jeweler is off til July 5th. It doesnt seem like I will be doing the proposal on the 4th as planned. I made lots of reservations, some of which will end up costing me due to cancelling the weekend before. I guess thats the price I have to pay for slipping up in judgement.

dyingbreed

Rough_Rock
marcy|1309627822|2960667 said:
Return it and find an AGS0 or GIA EX locally to buy. Trust your eyes not the sales person. :wavey:

The diamond looked great til it was mounted on the setting and thats when I noticed the fire wasnt there.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ok...you said it would not be ideal to propose with a plastic ring or a picture of a ring...BUT have you considered that it may be FAR LESS IDEAL to have your fiancee wear a non-ideal ring for her entire life?? or have to wear a ring and then give it up??

dyingbreed

Rough_Rock
Today is a rough day for me. Ive entertained many thoughts. One of which I would propose and then within two weeks take back to jeweler and do the swap and just tell her I needed to get it polished. But thats kinda cheesy and like one of the other post said, she is not gonna want to part with it so soon. As far as her wearing a crappy diamond for the rest of her life and her having to suffer.... :wink2: ....when we 1st started talking about marriage and the ideas of rings were mentioned...she found an article by Edward Jay Epstein titled “Have you Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond?” :lickout: .....she was very against conforming and following the traditions so I doubt she would be so..........vain. However, I on the other hand, because she is so loving and humble and as a result all the more deserving...wanna make sure I place something on her finger that her girlfriends and family members will be GAGA over :love:

dyingbreed

Rough_Rock
slg47|1309642705|2960769 said:
ok...you said it would not be ideal to propose with a plastic ring or a picture of a ring...BUT have you considered that it may be FAR LESS IDEAL to have your fiancee wear a non-ideal ring for her entire life?? or have to wear a ring and then give it up??

When we 1st got together, I made a ring out of aluminum foil.....which she wore everywhere for close to 2 months till it developed an odor. Getting her a plastic ring or picture is a step down... :lol:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
how about another aluminum foil ring? I think that would be really cute :)

dyingbreed

Rough_Rock
slg47|1309643023|2960774 said:
how about another aluminum foil ring? I think that would be really cute :)

Been there done that :errrr:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you could just tell her there was a delay in shipping it. or you could lie and say you couldn't afford a ring and wanted to propose, and then a few days later tell her that you got a ring :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results