shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy setting separate - who sets the stone?

kelseagabb

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your advice as I try and figure out how to best make a custom anniversary ring.

I have purchased my 8x6 oval gem from Dana at Mastercut Gems - currently waiting its arrival.

Now starting to think ahead to the setting. I am looking for a diamond halo + diamond band white gold setting. This one is the closest I've found:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Diamond-Halo-Pave-Set-0-45-Carat-Engagement-Ring-Oval-Semi-Mount-14k-White-Gold-/381832400375

But I'm realizing a significant stumbling block is finding a local jeweler that would be willing to take a stone that isn't theirs and a setting that isn't there and setting the stone.

Has anyone had any experience with this process?

Or should I just buy the setting locally?

Thanks in advance.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had an issue finding someone to set a stone in a setting I had. At my local jeweler it's usually just around $40, sometimes more depending exactly what is involved. But if you don't have any jewelers near you that are willing, then you need to either purchase the setting from someone who can set the stone for you, whether that is a local jeweler or an internet vendor you can ship your stone to.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I commissioned the semi-mount for my EC diamond (the bench is in China), I went to enquire about the cost of re-setting the stone with a local jeweller with a bench first, to get a quote (100 GBP) and estimated time required etc...

I used them before for ring repair and re-size, and knew they would be able to do the re-set without any issues.

DK :))

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah.. If you don't have a trusted local jeweler, do you just walk into some and start chatting them up? Are there things to watch out for, or to say or not say? Good icebreaker conversations to telescope that you are an informed consumer?

Sort of curoius too, since we just moved and have some setting to do...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chroman|1478144741|4093160 said:
Yeah.. If you don't have a trusted local jeweler, do you just walk into some and start chatting them up? Are there things to watch out for, or to say or not say? Good icebreaker conversations to telescope that you are an informed consumer?

Sort of curoius too, since we just moved and have some setting to do...

When I was looking for a jeweler, I went in and started asking them questions about which settings in the showcases they had made, what techniques they use, etc, and I would bring in small repair jobs, buy chains, etc, so that I was established as a recurring customer, before I started bringing other stuff in. I don't know if this makes any difference but it might.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results