shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy setting from case or order new?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alamb

Rough_Rock
I found a ring I love at a local jeweler. The ring is platinum with two large emerald cut diamonds on the side. It is from coast diamonds. I don''t know how to post a website link, but the ring is at www.coastdiamond.com and then if you click, collections, then bridal, then hand engraved, it is the first one to come up on the screen. Sorry I can''t do a direct link!!! Anyway, I love the ring, but do not like the gold alpha omega sign. Also, the ring is a size six and I am a size 5. The jeweler said they can send it to be resized and replace the gold part with platinum. My question is, should I just ask them to make a new ring in size 5 without the gold or is it okay to have them resize this type of ring and change that detail?

Thank-you!
allison

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi AlamB. Welcome to PS!

Is this the ring? If so, here is the link.

I think I'd want a new ring....

CoastPS1.jpg

alamb

Rough_Rock
Yes, thank-you!!! I''m just not a fan of the gold peice. Do you think it will come out better if they make the ring to a size 5 as opposed to resizing? Is that why you would ask for a new one?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I would be concerned about the resulting craftmanship of the ring after the details were changed. I''m sensitive to symmetry and details. I just think the chances of it being right are greatest if it''s done fresh, rather than a retrofit.

I would wonder - will the ring come out round after sizing or will it be slightly oval? Is the ring going to look like the Alpha Omega has been replaced or will it look a part of the original piece? Will it be straight, level, symmetrical, etc. If I don''t like the workmanship, do I own the ring or can it be returned for cash/credit?

I think you minimize your headache and the hassle-factor with a new one. Even if you have to wait, i think it would be worth it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sizing a ring like this 1 size smaller is not any problem. Removing the yellow gold insert and replacing it with another design in platinum may be more problematic. It depends on how closely you will examine the alteration. It could show that something had been done. It might be invisibly done.
Its hard to say.

One thing for sure. If you don''t approve of how the job was done you can''t be compelled to go ahead with the purchase. If they prefer to alter their existing ring, let them do the work BEFORE you pull out your credit card or check. Look it over and, only if you approve, pay for the ring. Don''t leave your diamond for setting until you have a mounting you are pleased with.

This sounds like playing hardball, but what else is the choice. Be safe rather than sorry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coast makes really pretty settings! I''d definitely order one made to your size and all platinum.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 4:46:06 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Coast makes really pretty settings! I''d definitely order one made to your size and all platinum.

i agree. I would be fine with buying from the case if it was my size or close to it but since you want other changes you might as well have one made exactly how you want it and in your size..

alamb

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I think I''ll take your advice and order my own. I also agree that they make really pretty settings. Actually, I think the picture makes it look a little tacky, but in person, it is very simple and elegant. I love it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results