shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy now or hold off? (A prices question)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I've been saving up for a pair of studs (around 0.8 ctw), but with the recent price increases I wonder should I hold off? I was planning to make the purchase in September. Do you think prices have peaked? Are they likely to drop again? If so, when? Also, for the little bit of metal I need (martini studs) is it better to go white gold or platinum right now?

Buy now or wait and see??

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
price will likely to continue to rise~

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who knows? ! If you can afford to buy now, I'd say buy.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
If you can, you should buy now. I wouldn't place my bets that prices will stay where they are.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Wow, so prices might go even higher?? Damn this economy! If only I'd bought a few months ago...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a post from Aug. 16th, I think, that said prices were dropping in certain categories. I think it would be good to hear from some of the jewelers as to what they are seeing with incoming diamonds.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way to tell. Your guess is as good as mine.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
As with any type of investment, market timing is never really indicated. That said, I am likely to buy 6 months in advance. It can take time to find the right diamond with the right combination of specs and price. Once I find the one that meets our criteria, I'll buy. I feel good when I get something important done. Moreover, it will take even more time to find the right setting. GF and I haven't talked about that as much.

Even if there is a correction and costs go down in the short-term, the long-term projection is for them to continue to go up and up.

No matter what, get the rock with specifications which you both desire. Don't spend money on something simply because it's forecasted to cost more in the future. Even if the price goes down for a short period after you buy, you'll always be satisfied that you got the diamond you were looking for.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
sorry... you're talking about studs and I'm in my own world of center stones. Same idea more or less.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think prices will continue to go up, but I also don't think the economy is going to hold steady, which I think will force luxury good prices to go down. I don't think anyone can really predict it though.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Asia is pegged to grow 8% in total. More from the two titans.

I would buy now. The US$ isn't holding up anyway, plus the US economy ain't that hot right now. Don't see a lot of good news in pricing for a while. If you're elsewhere in the world, you might get a break, but it might be smallish.

garmando

Rough_Rock
I think the WORLD economy is having trouble, but it seems gold is starting to fall again (a good sign), so perhaps diamonds will too, since they are being traded like a commodity; at the same time, I have yet to purchase a crystal ball along with an E-ring.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Seems like a tough call! I think I will hold off just a little longer (couple of months) given that gold prices are starting to fall. Thanks for all the advice everyone :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results