shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy now or after Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PuddyKat

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are finally ready to buy a diamond! We've done our homework and researched all the possibilities. We decided that a B& M store here in Vancouver, Canada would be a more viable way to go since we don't want to deal with the US/Canadian exchange and all the relevant taxes. We're just not good tax evaders and those custom agents at the border can probably smell the sweat and fear a mile/kilometer away. :bigsmile:

The question is, since we are not in an extreme rush, would diamonds be cheaper after christmas or is that just a myth? I'm sure diamonds and jewellery are selling like hotcakes now since society has made getting engaged during Christmas a highly profitable time. Anyone?

Laurie :))

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some jewellers will have a post xmas sale and clear out the dead stock. Many bring in low value stock for sham sales. Most jewellers could not logistically up their prices for 5 weeks - the ticketing and hassles and upset customers would make it a disaster.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I can't comment on prices; but, I firmly believe that your selection will be more limited as the demand increases - supply will decrease for a short period of time.

student

Shiny_Rock
But maybe if you go now they'll have a lot stocked up for the month ahead? I'm not sure, just a thought.

See what they offer you, then tell them you're thinking of waiting a couple of months and shopping around more (but indicate that there is a stone that catches your eye), and then see whether they give you a good deal or not.

enibas

Rough_Rock
i jsut wnated to say congratualtions! :appl:

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Actually, student, my advice was what my jeweler told me. If you think about it, B&M jeweler's *could* have more inventory this time of the year (to meet demand); but, the availibility from polygon, etc. may be limited if you are looking for something very specific.

But, your approach may be a good one if the season hasn't been going swimmingly. No reason to not test the waters.

student

Shiny_Rock
Makes sense F&I. So they would probably have more inventory if the supply weren't controlled.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It's not until the last two weeks, and in particular the last week before Christmas that sales really get "hot".

Before that time you have the advantage of viewing some of the largest inventories that jewelers carry all year.

Prices of good stones don't really change pre & post Christmas, but availability does.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/5/2002 7:25:29 PM

It's not until the last two weeks, and in particular the last week before Christmas that sales really get "hot".

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory
----------------

This seems to prove one of my beliefs that men are last minute shoppers.

dbretton

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I'd like to chime in on this one as well. A store is hardest up to sell when they have a lot of inventory to push, and very little time to do it. I know this is rather obvious.
During the Christmas season, the stores expect to push a lot of inventory, and they typically do! That which doesn't sell before Christmas will get sold after Christmas in an after Christmas sale.

The good opportunities/sales occur when they become pressed for time, or the demand is low.

Here are some good times for negotiating:
1) End of the month.
Most businesses report sales on a monthly basis. At the end of the month, especially if sales are slow, businesses are more likely to negotiate in your favor in order to make another sale.

2) Bad weather.
People are less likely to go to a store during bad weather (especially snow!). A slow sales day can be good for you.

3) Gem shows.
Gem shows typify high volume/little time. These can be great opportunities to find a deal. Oftentimes, the prices are already very low. For example, I was at a gem show, and saw a diamond: branded H&A, VVS2, F quality, 1.18c, GIA certified. The asking price was $7400. (I was rather green in the buying process at the time, so I passed).

Personally, I'd try to wait for an opportunity like one of the above.

Regards,
Dennis

Just my 2 facets.

Regards,
Dennis

dbretton

Rough_Rock
reading my last post, I think that I should have qualified the last item.
Gem shows are also a terrific opportunity to get royally ripped off!
While there are many reputable dealers at these gem shows, there are probably just as many unscrupulous ones. If you do go to a gem show, make certain that you can find out where the retailer's physical address is, check the BBB on them, and only buy certified diamonds. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results