shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy loose diamond online, get set locally?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

detzdotnet

Rough_Rock
I would really like to see the diamond on the setting before I make my purchase and even though places give pictures I can't get the real feel of it online. I was thinking of buying the loose diamond(WF, JA) and then going to a local jeweler to look at settings. My first question is whether this is a good idea or not. My second is how the heck do I find a good jeweler? I would think I should stay away from the mall and I live in an area(Natick MA) where there are TONS of stores but how do I find the right one? Also, I work in Boston so I could go there but again, where, and I'm assuming it's more expensive in town.

Few more questions while I'm at it. I'm looking for ideal, I've seen great cut diamonds and they blow away "normal ones" What are the best places for there? I've been search WhiteFlash, JamesAllen, and BlueNile, are these all good reputable places?

I heard there is a rule to stick by for side stones when it comes to size? If I'm shooting for a 1.0caret center princess what should the sides be?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the biggest issue is that most people will NOT take responsibility for a stone that they did not sell you while setting it. So you will NEED to make sure that it is insured before it is set, something that is not always an easy process. Also, many places won''t set a stone they didn''t sell you, so you just need to do some research first.

Is there something specific you are looking for in a setting? Or something basic? Because if it isn''t a custom piece, most online jewelers have a 30-day inspection period, so you could get them to set the ring, then see it in person and send it back if it isn''t what you want. Just a thought though.

detzdotnet

Rough_Rock
Well, a lot of the places give generic views of the diamonds in the settings. I''ve built one on WF and the diamond they show in the setting I want is round and I want princess, even though the settings description says princess. So it''s hard to say that it will look great in that setting. Also, with different size side stones(if I get them) the setting usually only shows one size so it''s hard to judge.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both WhiteFlash and Good Old Gold carry AGS0 (ideal cut) princess stones in-house. I would focus on looking at those and talk with them about settings. They may have photos of rings they have done previously that would be similar to what you want. But if not, you can certainly buy the stone and have it set locally. I''d choose the finest jewelry store you can find. I wouldn''t skimp on the setting because you want someone with a great reputation to be handling your diamonds. I seem to recall that some people have bought designer settings at decent prices from Sister''s Jewelry in Boston and I don''t recall any negatives. But I''d really recommend having the stone(s) set where you buy them...it''s soooo much easier. Plus they can match up some side stones for you.

I''d probably use side stones of around .5 next to a 1 ct. princess. I have a picture with 3 stone rounds of various sizes, but not princess.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I know I can''t find a jeweler around me to set my diamond (since I didn''t buy it from them). I wonder if some jewelers are upset that we as cosumers find better deals online, and buy the diamond that way. Really...can they blame us? I mean..for a diamond of equal size, color, clarity (lets say 2 carat H/SI-1), coming in at $ 2000-2500 less online than quoted by a local jeweler, makes more sense to me! Yet they seem upset that we got a deal, and won''t set the diamond for us..is that supposed to be punishment? I hope you find a great jeweler/goldsmith to work with, who truly wants to see you happy! I would definitely find that person, before you buy the diamond loose, just to make sure you can and will have it set into a mount.

Ian0219

Rough_Rock
If I had gone the route of buying the stone online I would have had it set locally. That is merely a preference. I like the idea of having somone nearby to take the ring to for cleaning/polishing (often free or real cheap when the ring was purchased there) and also for sizing. It took some time and some foot work for me to find a good local jeweler but I found a gem. A suggestion to avoid "punishment" issues: don''t tell them you bought a diamond online. Just tell them you inherited a stone from your mother/grandmother and want to set it for an engagement ring. The good jewelers will be more than helpful with this. Make sure up front and maybe get it in writing that they will be responsible for any damage.

I was pleasantly surprised by the incredible service and reasonable prices I found at one local jeweler. For goodness sakes he even made a call to Sun Diamond to get me a Princess of Hearts. I hope you can find the same quality service near you if that is the option you choose. From what I have read on here, vendors like WF and GOG will take excellent care of you and will be helpful in getting the setting right.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Obviously most jewelers are interested in selling you things and they will be disappointed that you shopped elsewhere. That said, there are several other concerns that they often have. Often some of the costs of setting stones is subsidized by the ‘profit’ they are making in selling them and they don’t know what to charge for just a setting service alone. They need to consider not only the costs of the worker but the cost of maintaining the shop, the alarm, the management etc. If they sell the stone and they damage it in setting, they can get you a new stone, repair the other one and sell it to someone else. This is a bite to be sure but it’s nothing like as bad as if the stone came to you from some outside seller. Different setters have wildly different policies on this and you should definitely ask about their policy regarding damage (the risk is usually quite low by the way).

Personally I think they’re being dumb to cause trouble here. The key is to charge enough that they cover their risks and their costs, including an ‘insurance’ component with a profit left over at the end. On the few jobs where there’s a problem, suck it up and pay with a smile. For this reason, the best setters are rarely the cheapest and visa versa. There ARE setters out there who will happily set your Internet purchased stone, who will take responsibility for their work and who are making a good living doing it. Keep looking until you find one.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that it is always easier to buy the stone and setting at the same place if possible. many have visited local jewelers to try on designer settings and see which one''s they like and then have purchased them from an online vendor who carries the line.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results