shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy ER and WR at same time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jason

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if you all think it is best to buy the Engagement Ring and the Wedding Ring at the same time? Or would it be better to get the Engagement Ring before hand, and then possibly pick the Wedding Ring ring out with you fiancee while picking out the man''s wedding ring too?

Any suggestion, thoughts or knowledge gained from personal experience is appreciated.

Thanks

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Unless you know exactly what she'd want, I'd pick out the stone and have it set in a cheap temporary setting just for the proposal, then the two of you can go choose her set together.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jason:

Your question could have a number of answers:

1. Purchase a simple setting and then shop together for bands - this leaves your options wide open.
2. If you buy a designer setting, like Vatche, and the engagement ring has a matching band, you can always call back at a later stage to order the matchiing band - remember that with this scenario the 2 of you won't be able to have matching bands.
3. If you have a custom ring made it usually makes sense to have the 2 rings made at the same time. However, if your budget doesn't permit this option, a reputable company will keep the details on file for when you are ready.

Hope this helps.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
A simple, inexpensive, solitaire setting for the proposal presentation seems to work quite nicely. She get's a chance to soak in the engagement and then you can both shop together. That way, you can decide on matching rings, comfort fit, flush fit, etc., etc., etc. There are soooooo many options. You 2 can have loads of fun together!
2.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
How much would a simple inexpensive solitaire setting cost?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Jlim~

White Flash has simple gold solitaire sets listed for less than $100 and platinum ranges up to $300. Good ballpark figures to work with.
1.gif

Jason

Rough_Rock
----------------
How much would a simple inexpensive solitaire setting cost?
----------------

Well, in my case, I have already put a down payment in on the stone. They are giving me a free 14k White Gold Solitaire with my purchase. Although, I think I would rather go with Platinum, but I'll leave that for another forum topic.

However, from doing some research, I have seen solitaire settings ranging from white gold to platinum in the price ranges of $100 to over $1,000.

I think, after reading over your replies, that I'll go with the basic solitaire that they are giving me for now and then we can pick out an engagement ring and wedding ring together.

Thanks for the help!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Jason! Sounds like a plan! and,.... Anything is better when it's FREE!!!
2.gif
Actually, that's my FAVORITE price!!!
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I love "free" too!

The great thing about a temporary setting is that a woman often doesn't even know her options until she really starts looking. For instance, my girlfriend got a traditional Tiffany-style setting from her now DH, but when she started looking for w-rings couldn't find anything that could fit flush. If she had gotten to shop for her set she could have chosen an e-ring that didn't have the gap issue.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/21/2003 2:32:55 PM pqcollectibles wrote:

Jlim~

White Flash has simple gold solitaire sets listed for less than $100 and platinum ranges up to $300. Good ballpark figures to work with.
1.gif

----------------

pq - Hmm... problem is if I get a temporary setting, I would like it to look white, so either platinum or white gold. Like you said, platinum cost $300. So, if she decides to get a different setting, then this $300 is more or less wasted.

Other things that I am considering is to save money on sales tax and shipping. I figured if I buy the setting later locally, then I've to pay sales tax. If I buy it online, then I have to pay for shipping and insurance
sad.gif

But if it is free, why not, right? I mean in 14k gold except she's suppose to be allergic to anything less than 18k gold. She'll hate me if she can't wear it OR she wears it and get rashes! Haha

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of the regular freebie solitaire (or cheapie) setting, that way if she finds another one she likes better, she can keep the original setting and have it reset later if she gets bored with the setting. Kind of like a snap-on setting..heehee.

Or she can keep the solitaire freebie until the wedding and then have the stone reset into a 'set' you choose together for the wedding and all that sentimental stuff.

5.gif

69gm

Shiny_Rock
hi just my usual $.02,

jason, jlim and anyone else who cares what i have to say (i hope everyone
9.gif
):

if it's one thing i found out, finding the right diamond was the EASY part! there are sooooooooo many settings out there it's mind boggling. we've gone to many stores to look at styles and even went online to look. you can't say "simple solitaire" anymore! there are many solitaires to choose from! so it's important for both of you to find the right setting, simply by going out and trying to hit as many shops as possible just to see what the setting would look like. just like clothes, some look better when you actually put it on, while others that you thought look nice, doesn't quite match once you try it. very personal thing.

i was very fortunate that my jeweler suggested that i put it in a simple white gold tiffany-style solitaire that he would "rent" to me for $100. that way i can pop the question with a ring that she can wear at least temporarily. once i return the setting, that $100 would get credited towards whatever setting we eventually decide upon. or if for some reason i wanted to, i can just keep the rental setting since the $100 would pay for it. it's a win-win situation for me!
9.gif

if you find a local jeweler that you feel comfortable with and know that that's who you will be going with for your setting, see if they will offer you a similar deal.

hope this helps!

Jason

Rough_Rock
69gm --- sounds like almost the exact same deal my jeweler offered me. he says I can return the "Tiffany" white-gold ER and take $100 off of another ER of my choice. Is your jeweler in South Florida by chance?
1.gif
... or maybe that's just a common practice by reputable jewelers.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
looks like we're about as far as can be. i live in hawaii. yeah i know, boohoo for me.
tongue.gif

but we get bad weather...sometimes...but not today!
9.gif

glad to hear your jeweler sounds reputable. if you feel comfortable with them, that's really important. i like to listen to my gut.

aloha,

george

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results