shape
carat
color
clarity

buy diamond from Amazon.com?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

turbop

Rough_Rock
Their prices are the lowest I''ve seen, by far. Anyone bought from Amazon.com before?

avlis

Shiny_Rock
hmm. i just checked out thier loose stones and they seem to be pretty much on par.

got a specific example? be sure to compare apples to apples.

turbop

Rough_Rock
Ideal Cut, 0.50 carat, D, VS1

Amazon: 1,795

Lowest on PriceScope: 1,950

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
Base on the info provided..found this diamond on PS for $1795 with the same spec specified.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
ya, besides that one, amazon did seem to be about $160 cheaper for stones that size. for larger stones that difference dissapears. also i am not sure if i could call up amazon and ask questions about the stone, or have them send me pictures of the stone, or videos for that matter. I am also not sure what amazons buy back/trade in policy is.

they are cheaper, but i''ll pay a little more for customer service from a diamond seller, not a "we sell anything/everything" seller.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Can you show a picture or is there a link that we can see. I was told about Amazon.com and overstock and there seems to be a few quality EBAY sites that I thought were good.

turbop

Rough_Rock
http://www.amazon.com/gp/gsl/search/finder/?productGroupID=loose%5fdiamonds

Each diamond has a scanned picture of the certificate. Click on "View certified diamond grading report for this diamond"

B000JJOX00.01.CERT._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39791041_.jpg

turbop

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 2:24:04 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
1. this is 0.33ct not 0.50ct

2. this diamond is 'excellent' cut not 'ideal cut'
3. this diamond is 'IF' clarity not 'VS1'

4. are you retarded? seriously.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 2:45:34 PM
Author: turbop

2. this diamond is ''excellent'' cut not ''ideal cut''

3. this diamond is ''IF'' clarity not ''VS1''

I think you need to start reading the tutorials here. "IF" is the clarity rating, which has nothing to do with how well the diamond is cut. Garry was referring to the cut quality which is graded by GIA to be "excellent" not "ideal." Please watch your mouth, Garry is one of the experts around here and we are a peaceful community.

Please do some read the tutorials about cut quality here. How well the diamond is cut has more to do with the diamond''s sparkle than the color or clarity.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 2:45:34 PM

2. this diamond is ''excellent'' cut not ''ideal cut''

3. this diamond is ''IF'' clarity not ''VS1''

Turbop, Garry is one of the most highly respected experts on here, and is by no means ''retarded'' and I have no idea why you even asked that
20.gif
. He has been a pioneer in the cut world, and has published more papers than you will ever dream of. He is right, it IS a 0.33 carat report, not a half carat. IF does not mean a stone is ideal - ideal refers to the CUT of the stone, not the clarity.
20.gif

As a matter of fact, he is correct, it is an ex cut, not ideal, try plugging the numbers in the cut advisor yourself - it falls outside of ideal parameters (due to the crown angle being so shallow without a compensatory pav angle). You have to compare apples to apples. Read the tutorials and educate yourself before calling other people names.

They probably posted the wrong report with the stone you were looking at if the stone is listed as a 0.5 D VS1 and had this report with it.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

If you want free help, courtesy is a good start.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Seriously...flies, honey, vinegar...meet!

turbop

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 4:37:21 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
''What we have here is a failure to communicate.''
Let me apologize. Honest misunderstanding. The cert I posted was just to show as a sample who claims the specs on the diamonds, I naturally assumed a search on Amazon.com was done and my posting of the cert would not even have been necessary. Anyway, my inquiry is not about diamond grading but simply if Amazon.com is a good place to buy since they seem to have a big selection and fairly low prices.
1.gif

diamondpug

Rough_Rock
edit to original: nevermind, must be referring to all the confusion -- the modera site using ideal while the cert says excellent.

i though GIA uses "excellent" for their top cut grade, while AGS uses "ideal"?
Pugsy

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2006 10:59:54 PM

Date: 12/13/2006 4:37:21 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
''What we have here is a failure to communicate.''
Let me apologize. Honest misunderstanding. The cert I posted was just to show as a sample who claims the specs on the diamonds, I naturally assumed a search on Amazon.com was done and my posting of the cert would not even have been necessary. Anyway, my inquiry is not about diamond grading but simply if Amazon.com is a good place to buy since they seem to have a big selection and fairly low prices.
1.gif
accepted

Last night I helped several people on this board. I do not usually go and visit even the links that people post - let alone find my own way to starange unfamiliar websites with no direct links provided.

To answer your qestion - give us some links
34.gif
and direct comparisons and we can help out with an opinion
1.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I did have 5 minutes, and checked out Amazon for the stone that you mentioned. At least, I think that it is that stone, and I see one with a dossier of last year, without cut-info, and polish and symmetry both very good.

Then, I checked the PS-database, and found at least 10 stones that were cheaper from various vendors.

Is the way that Amazon uses the term ''ideal'' misleading you?

4themrs

Rough_Rock
So have you decided on a diamond or what is the story? I have seen a couple of rings that I like but would like to hear your experiences as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results