shape
carat
color
clarity

Burnt with SI2 diamond, will upgrading to SI1 be worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marz_1982

Rough_Rock
Being completely new to diamond buying, I happily went for a SI2 clarity diamond, colour G, and picked a size to fit our budget (0.3 carat) for my engagement ring. The store helper said that SI2 will not have any flaws visible to the naked eye, and the internet seemed to back that up.

When I received the ring I didn''t notice anything wrong because the ring was super-shiny in the store and practically blinded me :D

Later I noticed a rather large black spot right in the middle of the diamond, slightly off-center. Showing the ring off to a (rather tactless) friend, she mentioned "Oh what''s with the big spot in the middle". So basically the flaw is visible. From arm length away (if you have very good eyes) you can just see it if you know where it is, and very visible if you look closely.

So I took it back to the store to be re-evaluated because I couldn''t believe such a big flaw could be found in a SI2 diamond. They seemed to think the clarity is correct (maybe it''s the only flaw or something?). My options are now to either upgrade to a SI1, same size and colour for +- $200. Or upgrade to a larger size 0.4, slightly worse colour H but VS2 clarity for $960. I''m from South Africa, so I converted the Rand price to $$.

I''m worried that the SI1 clarity won''t be good enough for my (apparently really great) eyesight. I don''t go gaga for big diamonds, so the size isn''t really an attraction point. They don''t have any 0.3 VS2 clarity diamonds available
7.gif

Is the $1000 worth it for the slight upgrade from SI1 to VS2, is there big differences in quality between different SI1 diamonds? Will I be disappointed again by a SI1 diamond when I find flaws in it again?

Any advice will be much appreciated :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

SI clarity diamonds are not created equal, so some will have flaws which are visible to the naked eye, which lab graded the diamond - was it GIA? You could find some eyeclean SI1 or even SI2 clarity diamonds which are eyeclean ( depending on grading and the type of inclusions also) but it would be good to know if the diamond in question had a lab grading report and if so which type. Some labs grade less strictly than others with GIA and AGS considered to be the gold standard. I would return this ring and look at some others very carefully and see if you can view the diamonds away from the store lights, inclusions can pop out more in some lights than in otherS.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you bought the ring recently. Almost all stores have a return policy at least 30 days. When did you buy the ring? You may be able to completely return the ring and get something better. The store may or may not be trying to miss lead you. Can you tell me when you purchased the ring? If you can still return the ring, then I would look else wear, your store is probably over priced and lower quality. I looked at whiteflash for you. a .30 SI1 H color is about $500 and will be eye clean!! and its top cut grade for best light performance. Most of the time, stores don't use very trusted reports. Your report may say SI2 but could be a I1 or 2. Whiteflash uses AGS and GIA, The two top diamond grading reports. Whiteflash is an online vendor, many pricescope users have beautiful diamonds from WF

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
What''s the store refund policy? I would return it and get your money back. These people do not know what they are talking about. SI has the real potential of being seen with the naked eye. I happen to have an SI2 that is completely eyeclean, but all obviously do not. The inclusion/s can be anything from a cloud or white feather...to a big ole piece of black carbon, and still be SI1 or 2. Some inclusions are hidden by beautifully cut facets or the prong of a setting or simply be very pale or scattered to the eye. Nevertheless, SI means you need to whip out a loupe (borrow the store''s) and examine it closely and know EXACTLY where and what it is.

If you are buying online, simply have the rep view and tell you. Everyone I''ve ever dealt with when purchasing long distance has given me detail over the phone like this. When I''ve bought locally, I''ve looked with a loupe and viewed the rock in store as well as natural lighting. Jewelry store lighting can deceptively dazzle you. That''s why you need to loupe.

At any rate, if you must purchase from the same place you originally bought, please know that there are TONS of diamonds out there and you might not have to pay that much more to get what you like. Look at all the other SI2s there.....take your time...

People here can probably help you find something in line with what you are looking for.

marz_1982

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies :)

We bought the ring a few months ago, so unfortunately well past the return period. The store is suppose to be "upmarket" and pride themselves in high-quality diamonds - Browns Diamond Store. I expected them to be a bit more expensive, but they could have given me better service in choosing my diamond more carefully.

They have a upgrade policy, so the +- $1000 is to trade in the current diamond to be replaced by the .4 VS2 diamond.

The original diamond + ring value is $2100, we only paid $1400 due to a "discount" that all jewelry stores are offering at the moment. I'm not sure what the new diamond's actual value is, they're giving me a discount on it as well (Without discount is $1400).

The online prices look a lot cheaper, but not sure if I'd be able to shop online - do they ship to South Africa? :D I prefer the convenience and less stress of going to a store.

I did just phone them to find out if I can view the diamonds, apparently that's not an option.

I've got a diamond certificate - will see what grading they use when I get home.

Looks like without being able to see the SI1 diamond, and assuming I'm dealing with complete idiots, I'll need to go for at least VS2 to ensure it's 100% eyeclean. Can I assume VS2 will be eyeclean without having to specifically ask them? Would there be any visible/obvious flaws in a VS2 diamond?

Thanks again for everyone's comments :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
They should be able to ship to anywhere. There are people here are that are from UK, Australia, Singapore and they bought from the US, so oversea shipping should not be a problem.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Whoa horses, what do you mean you can''t view the diamonds?

Can you not go in and see side by side the .4 H and the other same size/color stones side by side?

What option/s do you have that involve being able to see what there is in person? Can you only upgrade to sight unseen diamonds? I''m confused.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a SI2 diamond and a normal person cannot see the inclusion and beleive me there are quite a few, but they are only visable from the side not from the top, it doesnt sound like yours diamond was a SI2 diamond, hope everything works out for you.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 7:37:56 AM
Author: marz_1982
Thanks for the quick replies :)

We bought the ring a few months ago, so unfortunately well past the return period. The store is suppose to be 'upmarket' and pride themselves in high-quality diamonds - Browns Diamond Store. I expected them to be a bit more expensive, but they could have given me better service in choosing my diamond more carefully.

They have a upgrade policy, so the +- $1000 is to trade in the current diamond to be replaced by the .4 VS2 diamond.

The original diamond + ring value is $2100, we only paid $1400 due to a 'discount' that all jewelry stores are offering at the moment. I'm not sure what the new diamond's actual value is, they're giving me a discount on it as well (Without discount is $1400).

The online prices look a lot cheaper, but not sure if I'd be able to shop online - do they ship to South Africa? :D I prefer the convenience and less stress of going to a store.

I did just phone them to find out if I can view the diamonds, apparently that's not an option.

I've got a diamond certificate - will see what grading they use when I get home.

Looks like without being able to see the SI1 diamond, and assuming I'm dealing with complete idiots, I'll need to go for at least VS2 to ensure it's 100% eyeclean. Can I assume VS2 will be eyeclean without having to specifically ask them? Would there be any visible/obvious flaws in a VS2 diamond?

Thanks again for everyone's comments :)

I don't understand why you cannot view the diamonds before having to purchase one. It sounds to me like using the trade-in might not be the most cost effective way to go.

I did a quick search to see what I could come up with. If you'd like to do this, use this page and enter your criteria. I found these two options (there were more, I just picked these two for reference):

.364ct G VS2 - http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-3236.htm (search chart showed $790 with PS discount, verify price with vendor)
.43ct G VS2 - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4623/ (search chart showed $1,088 with PS discount, verify price with vendor)

You will not be able to see (read: hold in hand) these before you purchase as they're here in the states. But, you can see images taken of the stones and talk to the vendor(s) to see how they look/perform etc. because they'll have the diamonds and everything there with them. You could also safely go with SI1 because the vendor(s) could look at the diamond and make sure it was eye-clean to your standard.

Personally I'd keep the orginial ring and scrap the trade-in idea. Buy something from one of the PS vendors and I know you'll be a happy customer and your money will be well spent. Good luck!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VS2 should be eye-clean without viewing but it depends who graded the diamond. Will it be an AGS or GIA stone?
Other graders tend to be more lax in their grading and their VS2 could be an AGS/GIA SI1 (or worst
28.gif
).

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Not all SI2 are eyeclean. Why don''t you ask to look at other 0.3 G/SI2? Only this time make sure you check it with a loupe and look at it under normal lighting...

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
According to their website Brown has a showroom where you select from their collection of loose stones. Why can''t you see the stone and pick from what they have?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results