shape
carat
color
clarity

Burma Days; Rangoon & Ruby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
“So to compare it to a diamond seems to me to be a reasonable approach. I am much of the same mind as you, my lord. The ruby is one hundred times rarer; therefore, let that be the price.” The French Blue, p.357

by Richard W. Wise, G.G.

©2010

After two weeks in Tucson, a week in Bangkok and a short time in the Rangoon market, I can say that fine quality unheated Burma ruby, is almost unobtainable and for what is available, source prices have risen dramatically. This means short supply coupled with dramatic price increases for the little bit of fine Burma ruby available in the U. S. market. Even with these increases, in smaller sizes, fine ruby remains relatively cheap compared to diamond. Today, a fine one carat ruby commands barely 60% of the price a D-Flawless diamond. At three carats ruby draws even and at five carats, fine Burma ruby surpasses diamond which, due to its availability in larger sizes, does not jump dramatically in price until it passes ten carats. Ten carat diamonds are available, a ten carat ruby of fine quality is a museum piece and a ten carat ruby will command ten times the per carat price of a diamond of the same weight.

The international price has gradually risen because production began to peter out several years ago and most of what is now available in dealer’s inventories and picked over. The Burmese know the value of fine ruby and the better off dealers prefer gems to paper currency. My agent mentions a man I met over a bakery in 1994 (see SOGT pp. 159-161). “He is a big boss now” Lwin says, “he has ruby but the price is very expensive, so what is new?” We visit his jewelry store just outside of town and see some exceptional ruby set in traditional settings. The rich dealers don’t care if they sell. The generals have decided to allow elections, but the people are cynical, as my guide laughs, “it will be “a selection” he says in a clever play on the English words. Nothing much is expected to change.

So we rusticate in Bagan for a few days, visiting temples, shopping for lacquer ware along the hot dusty streets. Then its back to Rangoon for another day in the market with little luck.

BurmaScottMkt2.jpg

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rusticating in Bagan. Our guide, Mr. "E" explains the finer points of temple architecture to my wife Rebekah.

BurmaRVWGuide.jpg

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The search. Myself and my agent Lwin examining ruby at the Scott Market, Rangoon (Yangon), Burma

BurmaRWmkt.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for this Richard - and great to have photos too!

So... did you buy some sparkly red Burmese beauties? And do we get to see pictures?

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pandora,

I have been able to source a few rubies, mostly old stock in the U.S. After Tucson and my trip to Asia I was able to see where the market was heading and was therefore willing to pay premium prices that were often less than asking prices in Rangoon. I saw a fair amount of African goods but frankly it is even more difficult to find gem quality from either Tanzania or Madagascar. Fine ruby is destined to be in very short supply at least for the near term.

Even during its heyday and prior to the embargo, it was always difficult to find really fine stones in Burma, many are sewed up by agents working for Thai and other foreign dealers. Of course, importation of Burmese ruby is banned but oddly not sapphire or peridot or spinel. As to pictures, as I understand the rules on Pricescope, stones currently for sale cannot be shown.

Best,

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Richard - your posts are always very informative, interesting & fascinating to read!

(I wish I could see your rubies....
7.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results