shape
carat
color
clarity

Building a collection for your daughter

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
My high school daughter has never shown much of an interest in jewelry. She is super athletic and her style is definitely not hyper feminine, but I think she has recently realized that she can wear jewelry and she may, in fact, want to! Obviously I am thrilled by this!

My question for all of you is where would you start in building a jewelry wardrobe for a teen? She has a pair of (small) but beautifully cut HPD lux melee studs, as well as platinum hoops. And a few other fashion earrings. She has multiple strands of pearls, which is actually hysterical since she has never worn them and finds pearls too feminine.

She also has a major nickel allergy.

Things I’m kicking around:
—DBTY bracelet
—Small pendant
—???

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider a pendant as they are very wearable and won't get in her way with her activities.

Actually she would have to remove a pendant every day. She’s a weightlifter so it would get crushed every time she caught a clean. There’s literally no jewelry she could wear in the gym and she trains five days a week.

I should have mentioned this was not going to be an easy exercise.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually she would have to remove a pendant every day. She’s a weightlifter so it would get crushed every time she caught a clean. There’s literally no jewelry she could wear in the gym and she trains five days a week.

I should have mentioned this was not going to be an easy exercise.

Well I hear you on that. Maybe it wouldn’t be something that she would wear every day but would be nice to have. It was one of the first things I bought my daughter as an older teenager.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Well I hear you on that. Maybe it wouldn’t be something that she would wear every day but would be nice to have. It was one of the first things I bought my daughter as an older teenager.

Even if she’d have to remove it for training, I do like the idea. Classic and a forever piece.

What size did you get for your daughter?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a colored gemstone (faceted or cabochon) cuff-style bracelet she can easily take off and put back on? etsy vendor Linda Blumel has had some great cuff bracelets (I have an Aqua/moonstone cuff from her, and it is much more beautiful IRL, both dainty and strong, and flexible). You could reach out to see if she has other CS you/teen may prefer if you don't like what's currently listed...

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe a colored gemstone (faceted or cabochon) cuff-style bracelet she can easily take off and put back on? etsy vendor Linda Blumel has had some great cuff bracelets (I have an Aqua/moonstone cuff from her, and it is much more beautiful IRL, both dainty and strong, and flexible). You could reach out to see if she has other CS you/teen may prefer if you don't like what's currently listed...

Thank you! Will check it out!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe if you got a chain where the clasp is decorative and meant to hang in the front so the chain would be easy to take on/off.
People often hang trinkets/pendants from the claw/carbiner clasps. What kind of style does she have besides not-feminine?

Here is a carabiner lock/clasp that hangs in the front (I'm assuming easier to get on/off).

Screenshot 2022-04-30 103201.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephani Gottlieb also makes a sweatband that has a zipper for jewelry so you have a good place to store things while
you're working out. Not sure if the wrist is a safe place for your daughter. Actually, rings might be the easiest things
to get on/off.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-30 104927.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-30 104927.png
    754.6 KB · Views: 24

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, a pendant. Some people find bracelets irritating. My daughter has always liked jewelry so I didn't have your issue, but the first diamond pendant I got her was about .35 ct. It was a good size for her.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe if you got a chain where the clasp is decorative and meant to hang in the front so the chain would be easy to take on/off.
People often hang trinkets/pendants from the claw/carbiner clasps. What kind of style does she have besides not-feminine?

Here is a carabiner lock/clasp that hangs in the front (I'm assuming easier to get on/off).

Screenshot 2022-04-30 103201.png

Oh that is so cute!!!!!

Let’s see, as to what style she has beyond not-feminine….she’s 15 so she’s still figuring that out. She is an athlete and really embraces being strong. She marches to her own beat and is less concerned with trends than with what is comfortable and what feels true to her. She wears dresses with sparkly sneakers for events because she refuses to wear heels (I admire this, honestly). Daily she’s likely to be in leggings or shorts and a t-shirt.

Overall I would say she’s extremely independent and strong minded, and that translates in her look. Is that helpful?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the jewelry will be removed daily I would get a travel jewelry pouch so she gets in the habit. I would get one piece, bracelet or pendant, not too expensive in case it’s lost, and that is a little heavy so she is aware of it. See how it goes and if she enjoys it then invest in another piece.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
If the jewelry will be removed daily I would get a travel jewelry pouch so she gets in the habit. I would get one piece, bracelet or pendant, not too expensive in case it’s lost, and that is a little heavy so she is aware of it. See how it goes and if she enjoys it then invest in another piece.

That’s a great idea.

Going gradually is the plan. I’m not typically a lab diamond person (I have one in a rose cut and was surprised to find I have mind clean issues), but I wonder if jewelry for a young girl might be the perfect place for lab stones.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is super athletic and her style is definitely not hyper feminine, but I think she has recently realized that she can wear jewelry and she may, in fact, want to! Obviously I am thrilled by this!

Kids change, as you are seeing!

Our DD is a wilderness therapy instructor and camps for weeks at elevation in the Rockies with troubled kids. She loves simple but will still dress up for going out when she is back in civilization or with her BF. She loves her gold chain (a family member passed it down to one of us), her Mom's link bracelet ("lent" to her), and a few things we got her. One is a super-simple 0.5-ct bright pink sapphire (from Inken's flash-sale for a few hundred bucks) in a solid bezel with a fairly stout shank.

I also did a test-case (on another thread) for earrings for spouse by making a pair for DD -- two small, well-cut, well-matched sapphires (but mismatched color -- which made me think of DD's funky style) from Adamant (there is a much finer pair there now) that we had bezel-set with a top loop -- to dangle from solid almost-hoop huggie-type earrings. She loves those.

Spouse's SIL was a near-Olympic-caliber athlete who shunned all jewelry (and money and material things and...). When she and spouse's brother got engaged, my spouse gave them an old family heirloom that was a super-feminine Victorian-era (?) platinum ring with a small diamond. She loves it and never takes it off.

So I vote for simple, versatile, wearable, age-appropriate but not trendy...

danusia

Rough_Rock
When my DD was a teen she wore earrings in all 5 holes. Now that she is in her 20s, she mostly wears a stud in her cartilage piercing. She stopped wearing necklaces (says they get in the way, get tangled in her hair, and never lay just right), plus bracelets are a pain (her words). She does love rings though and wears them almost every day. She has a good collection of colored stone rings that she changes up for different fingers.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My high school daughter has never shown much of an interest in jewelry. She is super athletic and her style is definitely not hyper feminine, but I think she has recently realized that she can wear jewelry and she may, in fact, want to! Obviously I am thrilled by this!

My question for all of you is where would you start in building a jewelry wardrobe for a teen? She has a pair of (small) but beautifully cut HPD lux melee studs, as well as platinum hoops. And a few other fashion earrings. She has multiple strands of pearls, which is actually hysterical since she has never worn them and finds pearls too feminine.

—DBTY bracelet
—Small pendant
—???

A lot of our top sports woman in my country wear pearls
cricket players, netball and field hocky
I saw lots of pearls on our girls at the summer Olympics last year

Perhaps with a bit of luck your daughter will come across players wearing pearls at top level competition in the sports she follows and this will encourage her to wear her's

Pearls are timeless, we just have to each in yourselves find the right time for them

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if she’d have to remove it for training, I do like the idea. Classic and a forever piece.

What size did you get for your daughter?

I think it was probably less than .50. It was years ago and her husband eventually replaced it with a one carat bezel set diamond.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Don’t know much about weightlifting but it seems the only thing she would not have to take on and off everyday would be earrings, and she has those.

How about an engraved gold band? It would be comfortable and can be an androgynous style. A ring would be something for her to look at, rather than something to be worn that mostly would be seen by people who look at her. She might like that idea since she values strength. Buy it for her middle finger and she’ll probably be able to wear it on her right hand ring finger when she’s done growing. Artemer has a good selection.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter should little interest in jewellery except for earrings. Accordingly I have bought her ALOT of earrings.
From her friends I can tell you that more simple seems to be preferred.
i would buy a modest pair of diamond earrings, like .50ct total. Simple band rings with or without wee gemstones are popular.
I dont think you can go wrong with a fine neck chain or bracelet. A wee DBTY necklace or bracelet would be very wearable.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure how classic this is (I would wear it and I'm not young)...would these snake rings be her style? I think they are strong yet
still somewhat feminine... reminds me of the arm bracelets Cleopatra is depicted as wearing in movies.
Edit...from Alex Parks

Screenshot 2022-05-01 094836.png

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure how classic this is (I would wear it and I'm not young)...would these snake rings be her style? I think they are strong yet
still somewhat feminine... reminds me of the arm bracelets Cleopatra is depicted as wearing in movies.
Edit...from Alex Parks

Screenshot 2022-05-01 094836.png

Omg she might LOVE those. I will show her! Thanks!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both the toggle necklace and snake rings that @tyty333 posted.

Given she will be taking it on and off, you may want to consider something that is not easily misplaced or tangled (like a thin chain). But I lost/broke/outgrew most of the teenage jewelry my mother gave me.

TJ Maxx has some paperclip/rollo/large link bracelets and necklaces in 14k. Admittedly, they are hollow/very lightweight but also under $500. Make a statement yet great for every day wear imo. Something she can wear forever yet if something happens, it's not a big loss.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

—DBTY bracelet
—Small pendant
—???

My daughter was the same and now likes the gems and jewelry. I have always given her jewelry but now she wears it, I give her bits and pieces each holiday or birthday. Vday was paraiba studs, birthday aqua by the yard bracelet, Easter was peridot studs

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter is 15 too. I got her a 0.3 carat bezel set diamond pendant for her first piece of "real" jewelry. She loves it and wears it daily layered with a long hippie style leather necklace that holds rough crystals, proving that a solitaire pendant goes with any style. :lol:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter is 15 too. I got her a 0.3 carat bezel set diamond pendant for her first piece of "real" jewelry. She loves it and wears it daily layered with a long hippie style leather necklace that holds rough crystals, proving that a solitaire pendant goes with any style. :lol:

Love this!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had thought of leather too! I know Hermes makes leather bracelets. Not sure if it would be classic though and stand
the test of time.

These are all Hermes
Screenshot 2022-05-02 110018.png
Screenshot 2022-05-02 110039.png Screenshot 2022-05-02 110057.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had thought of leather too! I know Hermes makes leather bracelets. Not sure if it would be classic though and stand
the test of time.

These are all Hermes
Screenshot 2022-05-02 110018.png
Screenshot 2022-05-02 110039.png Screenshot 2022-05-02 110057.png

I love those and would so wear them

But ive always suffered from 'smelly watchstrap' with leather (yes i did wash and dry it)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results