shape
carat
color
clarity

budget question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asu82

Rough_Rock
im not sure what the average is, but what kind of engagement ring can you get with a budget around three thousand dollars?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that for the stone and setting both?

E B

Ideal_Rock
A nice one! What does your girlfriend like?

asu82

Rough_Rock
that would be for both the setting and the diamond. i want to get her something that she will love and dont know if i should save more or just do it now. i know she likes princess cut diamonds

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 7:19:49 PM
Author: EBree
A nice one! What does your girlfriend like?
Ditto!! I would get a 3/4ish dazzler in a beautiful setting! What type of rings does your GF like?

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
That's around my budget too and I've found a lot. Especially if she likes simpler solitaire settings. Also if you are more lenient on color (like getting an I or J) and clarity (like getting SI1) you can get even more for you money and still get an amazing diamond.

asu82

Rough_Rock
im not really sure. i dont know how to find out without tipping her off. i know she wouldnt prefer a solitare setting but other than that im not sure.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 7:44:57 PM
Author: asu82
im not really sure. i dont know how to find out without tipping her off. i know she wouldnt prefer a solitare setting but other than that im not sure.

One idea is to put most of the budget ($2000?) toward a really nice diamond in a 'temporary' solitaire setting and the two of you can choose the setting together with the remaining money.

Another idea might be to ask one of her friends or sisters or her Mom what they think she'd like, depending on how close you are to them?

asu82

Rough_Rock
i like that idea. which part is usually more expensive the diamond or the setting? what size can you typically get with two thousand. sorry i know nothing about this

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends. If the setting is Pt and paved, it can eat up your entire budget and still starve.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond is typically more expensive. I''ve thought about doing what EBree suggested only taking it a little farther and spending more like $2500 on the diamond and only like $500 on the setting and then resetting it for an anniversary at a later time when I can really splurge on the setting I want.

Try using this site to really see what''s in your budget https://www.pricescope.com/panning.aspx

also I highly recommend going through a diamond tutorial on this site or another just to get a general idea of what the terms mean (like color, clarity, polish, etc) that will really help you in your search.

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
asu82,

I had an even tighter budget than you''re mentioning (i had to keep it under $2500) and my GF really doesn''t like solitaires. It was a bit tough but fortunately for me she doesn''t need a large diamond. I ended up getting the ring here for ~$2200 (that includes the setting and the diamond). It''s a hearts and arrows 0.5ct vs2/f diamond. It may be a bit boring/plain to some but i think it will work out well.

I think for your budget you''re going to have an easy time finding something to your liking.

good luck...

ID 04436.jpg

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
If your girlfriend likes a simple solitaire setting I would put almost all of your budget into finding the best diamond you can afford and just have it set in an inexpensive gold band ($200-500 or so?) to use as a temporary until you both can go and pick out a setting together later. That will give her a chance to be part of the design process for the ring she will be wearing forever. Just my .02 :) Good Luck!

Also, Good Old Gold has great educational videos on diamonds and the 4Cs. Here's a link: Good Old Gold 4Cs Tutorials

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Swingirl, I think OP might be looking for a princess.

Date: 3/27/2009 7:24:17 PM
that would be for both the setting and the diamond. i want to get her something that she will love and dont know if i should save more or just do it now. i know she likes princess cut diamonds

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 7:42:08 PM
Author: Callisto
That''s around my budget too and I''ve found a lot. Especially if she likes simpler solitaire settings. Also if you are more lenient on color (like getting an I or J) and clarity (like getting SI1) you can get even more for you money and still get an amazing diamond.
Definitely worth considering, if the cut is great you will have a beautiful diamond.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 6:09:37 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/27/2009 7:42:08 PM

Definitely worth considering, if the cut is great you will have a beautiful diamond.

I've been looking at a lot of pictures to see how much I am willing to compromise on color and clarity in order to get a bigger diamond and I have really found what Lorelei said is true. Cut is definitely the most important thing to consider (well that and size
2.gif
) You'll notice so much more sparkle in a well cut diamond that no one will even think to look for small imperfections or a slightly warmer color.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Ok sorry that last post is screwed up with the quoting and such. I''m still getting the hang of these posts haha.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
How exciting that you are getting started on your search!

You''ll be able to get a gorgeous princess for your budget. I second the idea of putting most of your money into the stone now and upgrading the setting later and involving her in the design process so she can get exactly the setting she''s always dreamed of.

All of the posters have given you good ideas to start off with. Remember that cut is king and keep us posted!

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Just to throw in another option. I think you can also consider getting a setting that is not as cheap (no more than $1000) and still get a good size diamond from a place that has an upgrade policy. But if you''re not sure your GF will like the setting you choose, then I guess it would be best to get something simple and cheap. I had a say in my ER so I wanted a nice setting and it''s platinum. But we went with a place that we can upgrade my center stone. Mine is also a princess around 3/4 carat.

asu82

Rough_Rock
thank you for your imput, this is extremely helpful. when you buy a diamond over the internet as opposed to a store where do you go for maintenence?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
You can send it to them for maintenance, or just find a local jeweler depending on the expense. I know a lot of places give you free maintenance for life, but most of it is really cheap anyway. For example, I had my white gold ring rhodium plated once locally for 15 bucks. No big whoop, and it''s been alomst a year and doesn''t need done again yet.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 8:25:12 PM
thank you for your imput, this is extremely helpful. when you buy a diamond over the internet as opposed to a store where do you go for maintenence?
Anywhere you want. Any jewelry store should check prongs and do a cleaning for free.
28.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 7:59:13 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 3/28/2009 8:25:12 PM
Anywhere you want. Any jewelry store should check prongs and do a cleaning for free.
28.gif
And the reason they usually do this, asu82, is because it''s important for them to get you into their store -- that''s the first step to making you their customer. When I first thought about buying from a non-local vendor, I wasn''t sure why local stores would clean a ring not purchased from them, but duh, it does make business sense for them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results