shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget for Setting?

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Good evening!

This is my first ring project, and I am so happy I discovered the Pricescope site! My question is in settings: I want to budget appropriately for a setting and setting the stone. I know the type of setting will drive the cost, but I just wondered what the range is? I am leaning towards a platinum setting. If I do not add any bling to the setting, it will be something like the Vatch 113. If I do add "bling" what is a good budget to set aside for this? My original ER is 28 years old, long overdue for an upgrade :) so I have not been in the market for quiet a while.

Last question: Is engaging David Klass, Alex Park, or one of the other folks mentioned on here a relatively easy process? I do not plan on contacting them until I have a firmer idea of what I want, as I don't want to waste their time. Or is it just easier to get it set by who you purchase the stone from? Any guidelines on this process or recommendations would be appreciated. I would like to have the ring by April, is my timeline doable?

Thank you for your wisdom as I embark on this project!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say add "bling" to a setting like the vatche, what do you envision? That will help us with understanding how much to budget. David is super easy to engage. Alex I think only does settings if you buy the stone from him.

Where are you planning to buy the diamond? That makes a difference too

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry I wasn't very clear, I meant if I went with a simple setting, it would be something like the Vatch-113 with no stones in platinum (although I have toyed with having a small birthstone of each of my girls set flush on the inside of the band).

If I went with more "bling" I envision a pave' band, or a small stone set on either side (like a baguette or pear), or even channel set French cut. I do love the look of pave, but I'm a little concerned about the durability.

I do not have a place picked out to purchase the diamond yet. Right now I am trying to dial in what I want and a rough budget. I was originally looking at a true three stone ring--but I have decided that a solitaire or a solitaire with small side stones will be my first project (I learned from PriceScope that you may thing you are done, but then....:D)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Gotcha. In general, I'd budget about 1-2k for either a plain solitaire in platinum (1k ish) or platinum with pave (example here for 1650: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...set-eternity-diamond-engagement-ring-6360.htm)

Example with baguettes on the side for 2k:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...red-baguette-3-stone-engagement-ring-6953.htm

Remember the prices I'm using are for platinum, it'll be cheaper in 14/18k

Thank you so much! It gives me a rough idea! I'm going to post a separate question regarding pave' and experiences with it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know if Alex Parks sets outside stones? I'm not sure if he does. Any Pricescopers know?

The easiest is to have it set from where you purchased it (if they have something that you like).

David Klass...You would contact them providing pictures of what you're looking for and the size of your stone. They will
give you a quote. If agreeable, you will send your stone and go through however many iterations of CADs until they
look like what you want (Pricescopers can help with CADS and as someone new to the process you should definitely
ask for help...we've all been there!) David Klass (DK) can do a wax model so you can try it on to see if the proportions
are what you expected and to get your approval for the go-ahead to cast. They complete the ring, send pictures, and
then send it to you. That's the gist of it. I've always paid at the end before they send the setting (which is nice).

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if Alex Parks sets outside stones? I'm not sure if he does. Any Pricescopers know?

The easiest is to have it set from where you purchased it (if they have something that you like).

David Klass...You would contact them providing pictures of what you're looking for and the size of your stone. They will
give you a quote. If agreeable, you will send your stone and go through however many iterations of CADs until they
look like what you want (Pricescopers can help with CADS and as someone new to the process you should definitely
ask for help...we've all been there!) David Klass (DK) can do a wax model so you can try it on to see if the proportions
are what you expected and to get your approval for the go-ahead to cast. They complete the ring, send pictures, and
then send it to you. That's the gist of it. I've always paid at the end before they send the setting (which is nice).

Thank you so much for the information! This is all new to me, and I truly appreciate the help and advice I am getting from the Pricescope community! I have been reading all the tutorials here, following the threads, and when someone reviews a stone, I have gone in and looked at it myself to try and understand what the experts are noting. I'm narrowing down what I am interested in, and once I get that figured out, I will be asking for more help :D--I just don't want to waste anyone's time right now until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Right now, I have narrowed down to a solitaire instead of a true three stone ring (that was a big decision), and platinum. The three things I am working on simultaneously are: the size of the center (and possibly only) stone, setting type, and hand to wear on (a new variable). I originally thought right hand ring, as my engagement ring is sentimental and I didn't want to "offend" my husband with the ring he picked out 28 years ago. However, talking last night, he really does not care--at all--he said I have gotten my use out of it :lol:-- and encouraged me to go big and get what I want. He also suggested perhaps since my original is 1 ct earth mined, perhaps the size differential between the left hand and right hand would be so much that this new ring should become my left hand ring (and he suggested also picking out a new band to go with it).

I'm trying to narrow down the size of the stone--basically as big as I think I can carry off (I have noted "stone shrinkage" by Pricescopers); without being a ring pop (I have also noted a few Pricescopers who have gone too big and uncomfortable). I am older (this ring is to acknowledge becoming an empty nester and celebrate my 60th birthday) so I also do have the "I don't give a ****' attitude--and although I work in a professional position, the setting is very casual. I have very few opportunities to get dressed up these days, so a ring that looks good with jeans and a sweatshirt is what I am aiming for.

As for setting, in the beginning the very elaborate settings really caught my eye--the Leon Mage site has lots of eye candy. But the longer I look, the more I have determined that I need something that can be worn daily in a casual setting--because I will be wearing this regularly. I think I can still pull of a larger stone, but I think I need to tone down the "bling" around it and keep the "bling" simple and tasteful. Right now, a couple of the contenders are a Tiffany like platinum setting--I like the thicker substantial ones-like a Vatche 113 but just a teensy bit on the thicker side (and would pair with a very thin diamond band), or perhaps a split shank pave (the amount of split seems to vary). If I go with a plain platinum setting, I want to have a very small stone of each of my girl's birth month set on the inside of the band.

Thanks for listening! And I welcome all suggestions!!!

Gosh, I wish I could help y'all out with something I know a little about=)2--as your information has been invaluable!!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who also lives a very casual lifestyle, I love a simple solitaire because they can be toned down with a plain wedding band, or stacked with extra bling for fun.

I'm looking forward to watching your new jewelry journey!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I wish I could help y'all out with something I know a little about=)2--as your information has been invaluable!!

Stick around and go through the process of creating a ring and you will be able to help others!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Consider buying a cheapie CZ ring in the size and style you want from Amazon or something so you can test drive it! For example I adore the look of very large rocks in pictures but in practice I find them uncomfortable to wear (like bumping things or getting in the way of reaching in my pocket, not emotionally uncomfortable).

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Consider buying a cheapie CZ ring in the size and style you want from Amazon or something so you can test drive it! For example I adore the look of very large rocks in pictures but in practice I find them uncomfortable to wear (like bumping things or getting in the way of reaching in my pocket, not emotionally uncomfortable).

I just went on Amazon and ordered a 4 ct "stunner" to see if I can wear it or it looks like a ring pop---stay tuned!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring pop :lol:

Pics please...we'd love to see how it looks and hear your opinion on the size and whether it works for you.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock

Pics please...we'd love to see how it looks and hear your opinion on the size and whether it works for you.

It says I should have it by the 17th--amazon seller is in the US but must be coming from China. I'll update you when I get it.:D

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
This is so fun! I’m currently working with Alex on my 10 year upgrade. He is super easy to work with in my opinion, if you know what you want. He only sets his stones, but his settings are super reasonable (at least in 14k & 18k gold, I haven’t done a platinum piece with him). He can make similar setting styles of most setting images you send him.

I also ordered fake rings off Amazon to help and they totally did! Just make sure you know what the fake stone specs are (length and width) so you can find something similar. I chose to go between 3.5-4 carats and wanted an old European cut (round). He found me a lovely stone that’s technically an Old Mine Cut, but it is square and has rounded corners. It’s heavier carat size than I was thinking (4.45) but Old Mine cuts are deep, so it faces up like a 3.9 ct round brilliant. I’m setting it in a solitaire at least for now. It’s a grade lower in color than my “lowest I will go” color grade but he assured me it faces up nicely and isn’t too yellow. This one just felt “right”. that’s the case. Pricing for a solitaire with engraving or filligree or a hidden halo runs $800-$1,200 depending on the material used (at least that been the case for me). Fancier designs/pave halo and band start at $1,500 and go up from there. Hope that all helps!

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
This is so fun! I’m currently working with Alex on my 10 year upgrade. He is super easy to work with in my opinion, if you know what you want. He only sets his stones, but his settings are super reasonable (at least in 14k & 18k gold, I haven’t done a platinum piece with him). He can make similar setting styles of most setting images you send him.

I also ordered fake rings off Amazon to help and they totally did! Just make sure you know what the fake stone specs are (length and width) so you can find something similar. I chose to go between 3.5-4 carats and wanted an old European cut (round). He found me a lovely stone that’s technically an Old Mine Cut, but it is square and has rounded corners. It’s heavier carat size than I was thinking (4.45) but Old Mine cuts are deep, so it faces up like a 3.9 ct round brilliant. I’m setting it in a solitaire at least for now. It’s a grade lower in color than my “lowest I will go” color grade but he assured me it faces up nicely and isn’t too yellow. This one just felt “right”. that’s the case. Pricing for a solitaire with engraving or filligree or a hidden halo runs $800-$1,200 depending on the material used (at least that been the case for me). Fancier designs/pave halo and band start at $1,500 and go up from there. Hope that all helps!

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Thank you so much! I am attempting to dial in the stone size now. I will likely go with a standard round brilliant. I do like a cushion (the ones that look like a round brilliant with corners) but it is difficult to pick those out on the internet. Once I get it dialed in, I have to figure out if I attempt to purchase it myself, or purchase it through the setting supplier.

What information did you tell Alex for finding a stone? How are his prices for stones compared to the typical loose grown diamond, etc?

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
I can’t wait to see! Alex’s prices are insanely reasonable. Like no brick and mortar jeweler in our city come close as far as the quality/size/price.

This is the third time I’ve worked with him. I told him my budget and asked what was realistic. Then we settled on a carat size range, clarity range, and color range. Alex is SUPER picky about the cut quality and I am too, so he knew to only show me stones that he thought were excellent (tricky since this project is old cuts). Then he sent me some stones to consider. This time, he actually posted the stone I bought since it wasn’t the cut I had told him. I messaged him and he reserved it for me immediately, and gave me a day to think about it since it was a little outside what I was thinking. He assured me it’s an amazing stone though. I put a deposit down on it. Will pay the rest once it’s done. I’ve sent pictures of settings I like with the changes I want, he will send to his CAD person and then send me the design to revise/approve.

I’m happy to help you if you need and decide to work with him! I worked with him to find a dear friend her upgrade too.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
I can’t wait to see! Alex’s prices are insanely reasonable. Like no brick and mortar jeweler in our city come close as far as the quality/size/price.

This is the third time I’ve worked with him. I told him my budget and asked what was realistic. Then we settled on a carat size range, clarity range, and color range. Alex is SUPER picky about the cut quality and I am too, so he knew to only show me stones that he thought were excellent (tricky since this project is old cuts). Then he sent me some stones to consider. This time, he actually posted the stone I bought since it wasn’t the cut I had told him. I messaged him and he reserved it for me immediately, and gave me a day to think about it since it was a little outside what I was thinking. He assured me it’s an amazing stone though. I put a deposit down on it. Will pay the rest once it’s done. I’ve sent pictures of settings I like with the changes I want, he will send to his CAD person and then send me the design to revise/approve.

I’m happy to help you if you need and decide to work with him! I worked with him to find a dear friend her upgrade too.

Thank you! I really appreciate your offer to help. I haven't decided how this will all work yet, but I am a little uncomfortable purchasing a stone then mailing it somewhere else. I know folks do it all the time, it just is new to me and a bit intimidating.

Sad to say, most of my jewelry (except a few pieces I have inherited and my original engagement ring and wedding band) has come from Costco the last few years--easy-peasy for my husband and if you don't like it you can return it:lol: --I almost went with them this time for a 3 ct three stone ring, but then discovered this forum and lab diamonds and realized I could either have the same ct for a lot less, or go big (and likely still save money).

I have my share of earth mined diamonds, and I'm old enough to realize diamonds are not an investment--they are to be worn and enjoyed. (and with two kids simultaneously in college, it's not a bad thing to save a little money). So I'm ready to try lab diamonds. What I am trying to pin down is the largest size I can get without looking overly "fake" or ridiculous. I plan on wearing this every day. I originally started out looking for a right hand ring because I felt a little guilty replacing the ER. He was the one, however, that suggested replacing it and get whatever I want. I will likely end up with a round diamond in a platinum setting (probably similar to the Tiffany or Vatche-u113, and perhaps a small thin diamond stacking ring to go with it as the wedding band. The diamond will need to be very well cut with a low color (d/E--my husband can actually see the color distinguish--I can not). Is that something Alex could do?

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I really appreciate your offer to help. I haven't decided how this will all work yet, but I am a little uncomfortable purchasing a stone then mailing it somewhere else. I know folks do it all the time, it just is new to me and a bit intimidating.

Sad to say, most of my jewelry (except a few pieces I have inherited and my original engagement ring and wedding band) has come from Costco the last few years--easy-peasy for my husband and if you don't like it you can return it:lol: --I almost went with them this time for a 3 ct three stone ring, but then discovered this forum and lab diamonds and realized I could either have the same ct for a lot less, or go big (and likely still save money).

I have my share of earth mined diamonds, and I'm old enough to realize diamonds are not an investment--they are to be worn and enjoyed. (and with two kids simultaneously in college, it's not a bad thing to save a little money). So I'm ready to try lab diamonds. What I am trying to pin down is the largest size I can get without looking overly "fake" or ridiculous. I plan on wearing this every day. I originally started out looking for a right hand ring because I felt a little guilty replacing the ER. He was the one, however, that suggested replacing it and get whatever I want. I will likely end up with a round diamond in a platinum setting (probably similar to the Tiffany or Vatche-u113, and perhaps a small thin diamond stacking ring to go with it as the wedding band. The diamond will need to be very well cut with a low color (d/E--my husband can actually see the color distinguish--I can not). Is that something Alex could do?

I love that your hubby buys you jewelry! And we get basically everything from Costco, lol!

I personally think center stones start to look “fake” around the 4 carat mark, depending on the size of your hand and fingers. I have bigger hands (6 3/4 or 7), and. My sweet spot is in between 3.5 - just under 4 carats. My new stone is a 4.45, but we are getting it recut to make it more square since both me and Alex are super picky on cuts.

Yes, Alex can source you an ideal cut lab diamond in D-E, in any size you need. I haven’t seen him posting larger round brilliants on his lab Instagram page but check it out! I personally appreciate he pits the price right on the post, and attaches an image of the actual certificate on his posts so you can see what is similar to whatever you want. And yes, he can do similar settings to what you want.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
I love that your hubby buys you jewelry! And we get basically everything from Costco, lol!

I personally think center stones start to look “fake” around the 4 carat mark, depending on the size of your hand and fingers. I have bigger hands (6 3/4 or 7), and. My sweet spot is in between 3.5 - just under 4 carats. My new stone is a 4.45, but we are getting it recut to make it more square since both me and Alex are super picky on cuts.

Yes, Alex can source you an ideal cut lab diamond in D-E, in any size you need. I haven’t seen him posting larger round brilliants on his lab Instagram page but check it out! I personally appreciate he pits the price right on the post, and attaches an image of the actual certificate on his posts so you can see what is similar to whatever you want. And yes, he can do similar settings to what you want.

I can't wait to see your stone after it's recut!! Do you have a plan for it?

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock

Well the Amazon truck made an early delivery. The cubic zirconia came today! I just slapped it on and took a couple of pictures--with no thought of style or background. I think this 4 ct cz is about equal to a 3.8 ct diamond (it's approx 9.9 mm) IMG_3119.jpg IMG_3120.jpg :lol-2:

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
I can't wait to see your stone after it's recut!! Do you have a plan for it?

Sorry, I missed this!
Well the Amazon truck made an early delivery. The cubic zirconia came today! I just slapped it on and took a couple of pictures--with no thought of style or background. I think this 4 ct cz is about equal to a 3.8 ct diamond (it's approx 9.9 mm) IMG_3119.jpg IMG_3120.jpg :lol-2:

I think that’s looks good! Do you like it???

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The size looks wonderful on you! How do you feel about it?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think @Engrgrl1 ? I think it looks good on you. Do you think its a good size for you or ?

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
The size looks wonderful on you! How do you feel about it?

For about the first minute I thought it looked too big--but then I got used to it--amazing how fast that happens!! I think a 4 ct is the right range. I don't think I could go much bigger than 4.5 ct. I have been wearing it now for a week or so and no issues with it catching on anything, etc.
What do you think @Engrgrl1 ? I think it looks good on you. Do you think its a good size for you or ?

It took me a hot minute to get used to the size--my original from 28 years ago is 1 ct, but I've been wearing it for about a week now, and it seems "normal". Amazing how fast you get used to it! I think I am going to shoot for something in the lower end of the 4 ct. range. I'd like to get a round (Unless I can find a great cushion that has the hearts and arrows kind of look of a round--if that makes sense ) diamond with a great cut-perhaps hearts and arrows.

I am looking at settings now to get an idea what I would like to do--one minute I am thinking a plain platinum Tiffany-like setting--something similar to the Vatche-113--maybe a slightly thicker shank and a softened "knife edge"; the next minute I am looking a some sort of "bedazzled" one :) ----I have to dial that in a little more-lol!

Another thing I am contemplating if I buy the stone myself, and then try and figure out how to send it somewhere to get it set, or do I go somewhere like Alex Park that is more of a one stop shop? This is my first go round ever (and I take it from reading these boards it likely won't be my last ), so buying it and having it shipped here is one thing--how to safely ship it off and work with someone like David Klass, etc., is a whole other level of complication.=-lol!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

You just earned your black belt in Bling-Fu

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scary how quickly we can get used to a 4 carater (or 3.8)!

Another thing I am contemplating if I buy the stone myself, and then try and figure out how to send it somewhere to get it set, or do I go somewhere like Alex Park that is more of a one stop shop? This is my first go round ever (and I take it from reading these boards it likely won't be my last ), so buying it and having it shipped here is one thing--how to safely ship it off and work with someone like David Klass, etc., is a whole other level of complication.=-lol!

I think it all depends on where you find the stone you want. If you can get something from Alex (fair prices) and well-done settings that
would be the best situation.

If you end up getting your stone somewhere else and go with someone like David klass...you ask them to send you a label so that
you can send them your stone. That way it is insured under their higher level of insurance. They charge you for it but its usually
a good deal compared to having to do it yourself.

Edit...btw you sit on pins and needles until DK contacts you and tells you that its arrived :oops2:

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Edit...btw you sit on pins and needles until DK contacts you and tells you that its arrived :oops2:

I am already on pins and needles thinking about the process -LOL!! Have you dealt with Alex before? I have not contacted anyone yet, I didn't want to bother them until I am ready to pull the trigger. But I do have to say, I was looking at the Ritani half off eternity band prices thinking it was pretty cheap, but then I looked on Alex's website, and although limited selection, his eternity bands were priced slightly less than the half off Ritani sale.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In general, if you can, its best to get the setting from the same vendor you buy the diamond from. Since it sounds like you want something fairly classic, there are probably a lot of different vendors you could buy from. So consider the level of customer service you want, too. Some vendors offer a lot of hand holding and will answer many many many questions and help with after-purchase care and issues. Others are less personalized and like decisive buyers. You can search their various names on PS to see examples of service from the various vendors. As a newbie you might prefer buying from a vendor who offers a little more guidance, which is a service you usually pay a little more for in my experience (eg they have to pay their staff for the extra time they spend with you). Some people are happy to use PS for their guidance and work with lower service vendors, like drop shippers. But you should think about this a little as you consider your options.

EDIT: Also consider whether you want to work with a vendor who is a "one person show", where there is a small staff and you are working directly with the owner/vendor and you get to know them (for better or worse lol). Or would you prefer to work with a larger company where there is a professional distance to the transaction and there are policies etc for dealing with issues. Both have pluses and minuses and can influence the experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results