shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget engagement diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I have spent a week or so trying to read through the knowledge section and learn about the price scope pictures etc. I have taken that information and tried to apply it to an inexpensive diamond (I just graduated college and can't afford much). I am going to provide the details for the diamond that I am considering and would greatly appreciate some advice or critique of the diamond. Thank you all for your help.

Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Carat: 0.398
. Depth %: 59.9
. Table %: 57.2
. Crown Angle: 33.9
. Crown %: 14.4
. Star : 56
. Pavilion Angle: 40.9
. Pavilion %: 43.1
. Lower Girdle %: 77
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 4.79-4.81X2.88
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

http://whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-395202.htm

Here are my thoughts on it.

I used the HCA calculator and it came up as a 1.0. However, this assumes a medium girdle I think, but the diamond is actually thin to medium faceted. Not sure if that has much of an effect. Also, in looking at the idealscope, I am somewhat concerned about the little white triangles around the outside. They are kind of a cloudy pink and not so symmetrical looking. I am not sure if that is really important though. If someone could look at the idealscope provided in the link, I would be greatful.

Edit: I am probably going to get a solitaire 6-prong setting in white gold. Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a nice choice! Because it is not deep, it may have a better spread (diameter) than a deeper stone.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Looks good. The little bit of white you''re seeing is minute leakage. Not gonna be noticeable especially when it''s set. The six prong is a pretty setting, but you may be blocking a lot of the brilliance of the stone by so much metal on a smaller surface of diamond. I''d suggest for you to look at stones of that size in stores so you can see how a four prong v. six prong setting is going to look. Also, depending on the style of wedding band you intend, the J color may appear yellow (er) or milky next to it, so ask the vendor to give you a really clear idea of what color it faces up as.

BTW-My first diamond was .25ct. I loved it for many years! Good Luck!

and welcome to PS!
1.gif

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
I had not thought about 6 prong settings hindering the appearance before. Does it generally make a significant difference on a diamond that small? I will take your advice and stop by a B&M tomorrow after work to see in person.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with somethingshiny about the prongs... My ring is a .25 carat and it is in a delicate four prong setting, which looks very dainty and nice. The diamond is very visible, which I like as well.

*M*

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I personally think a six prong would obscure the diamond too much. The diamond you chose is going to have some flash and sparkle so I wouldn''t want to hinder it.

yea, I def say 4prongs make a huge differences with diamonds this size. 6 just hides the diamond too well from what I have seen. Of course some people prefer that look, but I would and did pick four for my own.

and that is a nice diamond but I would personally drop the clarity and up the color. Any particular reason why you chose VS1?

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/24/2007 10:30:17 PM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards

Any particular reason why you chose VS1?

No reason at all. I set all of my search options to include the very best to my minimum demands. I then looked at all of the diamonds that fit in that realm, that were also under my budget.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
While that certainly is a nice diamond,you're asking for a critique. I would up the color and lower the clarity as well.

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
One of the reason that I liked that diamond is that most of the others were closer to .3 or .31. This one seemed to have a good cut, good clarity, so-so color, and good size for the money. I''d hate for the diamond to look bad if the wedding band has less color though.

actually, I will take back what I said for now, I just put my book down and started looking at a few options, and that looks like a great deal. I think you ought to call them first thing in the morning and ask them to hold it for you while you keep looking.

and I just read this:

Date: 9/24/2007 10:45:09 PM
Author: Nitfan1
One of the reason that I liked that diamond is that most of the others were closer to .3 or .31. This one seemed to have a good cut, good clarity, so-so color, and good size for the money. I'd hate for the diamond to look bad if the wedding band has less color though.

Don't let me make you too scared. J is a nice enough color in itself. I find people tend to notice higher colors more and give them more praise than the lower colors, but the light performance will be the key in that regard. I don't think its time to hang up the coat but it does seem like a very nice size per price with a great face up size. So I say again def call them tomorrow and hold it. keep hunting for a day or two and see if you can find something around the same size with higher overall quality and if not, looks like a very promising option to me.

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/24/2007 10:44:41 PM
Author: heraanderson
While that certainly is a nice diamond but being you''re asking for a critique, I would up the color and lower the clarity as well.

Thank you. If I wanted someone to just nod and agree with me, I''d show it to my friends who know nothing about diamonds. I appreciate your honesty. Like anyone, I want the most that I can get for my budget. Honest critiques are what will help me to get that.

can you give us your budget? is it 500 or you just happened to find a good deal a little under your budget?

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/24/2007 10:46:22 PM
Don''t let me make you too scared. J is a nice enough color in itself. I find people tend to notice higher colors more and give them more praise than the lower colors, but the light performance will be the key in that regard. I don''t think its time to hang up the coat but it does seem like a very nice size per price with a great face up size. So I say again def call them tomorrow and hold it. keep hunting for a day or two and see if you can find something around the same size with higher overall quality and if not, looks like a very promising option to me.

I am going to call them as soon as I can.

$500 was my budget assuming the 18K white gold setting ($300). If I went with the 14K setting ($200), my diamond budget could go up to $600.

Date: 9/24/2007 10:54:37 PM
Date: 9/24/2007 10:46:22 PM

Don''t let me make you too scared. J is a nice enough color in itself. I find people tend to notice higher colors more and give them more praise than the lower colors, but the light performance will be the key in that regard. I don''t think its time to hang up the coat but it does seem like a very nice size per price with a great face up size. So I say again def call them tomorrow and hold it. keep hunting for a day or two and see if you can find something around the same size with higher overall quality and if not, looks like a very promising option to me.

I am going to call them as soon as I can.

$500 was my budget assuming the 18K white gold setting ($300). If I went with the 14K setting ($200), my diamond budget could go up to $600.

well, if you are an American I would search out options to use that 100 dollars in the diamond. AS here in America 14k is considered highly respectable in Engagement ring jewelery, and in the end it is going to be rhodium plated so 14 or 18 will no visible benefits.

If it was yellow gold I think the 18k would be worth it, because it would look more yellow and frankly would be more beautiful. but in white gold, its more a mental thing than anything else, and while you know her best, most people I know here in the states would be perfectly satisfied with 14k

So I think it would be best to try to hunt down a slightly more expensive diamond, if a better alternative can be found. But if you buy this one and have an extra 100 dollars, then I suppose 18k is def nice to get, but thats all just my opinion of course.

another thing to consider is the pricescope discount. I just looked at a diamond that was listed on pricescope as 606 dollars, and when I followed the link it was 884 dollars, so I am going to up your budget on my own searching, now that I have started stupid me, I really have this great book I should be reading, and then try to find some of the near 900 dollar diamonds on PS and see if they have a discount. Then tommorow you ought to have a few you can call and ask about the PS discount as well and see whats up. these little diamonds are rather confusing, obviously 884 down to 606 is too much to be reasonable, but it says it nonetheless. Def worth asking about a few.

For your reference, I was trying to see how much to expect in discount on these smaller diamond and I clicked on this one

0.36 F VS2 61.5% 55% GIA m-stk no ex ex slt 4.57-4.60x2.82 $1683 $606*S Whiteflash

Which brought me to this diamond

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-4441.htm

so you can see what I mean.

alright, I couldn't focus on my book now so here I am. At WF your option def. looks the best so far. However, I have heard tell that they are running low on diamonds at the moment and some talk of shipments coming every six weeks? I don't know about it all, but I think you should ask them. It might be possible if they are planning to get in some more soon that they can put yours on hold for a little while until then so you can look through some new selection soon.

Other than that, there are a few good options by some other vendors. Now, some of these vendors don't have 14k options listed on their site. They might be able to offer it to you for a lower price, or maybe not. You would have to ask them. If they said no, then another possiblity is to ask them if they can wave a setting fee if you purchase the diamond from them. Then buy the 195 dollar setting from white flash, mail it to them and have them set your diamond. Depending on who you talk to that might be a very real possiblity the only concerns would be:

*can white flash send it to that location rather than to you

*If not how are you going to get it to that location and what would it cost (probably not much)

*and will they wave the setting fee if you purchase the diamond from them.

If those work out then here are a few other options, the last ones are just kind of possiblities, not necessarily really great selections:

I am particularly fond of this one myself, it is 580 dollars with the PS discount:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1101296.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

I imagine these guys offer a discount as well:

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=38930437

I would also call Angara and ask about:

Certificate number 8366701

and a couple of others I wasn't quite as enthusiastic about

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=view_details_btn&elem=img&pid=LD01109055&filter_id=1

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=view_details_btn&elem=img&pid=LD01140411&filter_id=1

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=view_details_btn&elem=img&pid=LD01167129&filter_id=1

Other than considering those yours looks like the best selection at whiteflash by far. I think that diamond I saw had a pricing error online, but you might still want to ask them if there are diamonds out there with that type of discount...it would be good to know. And ask about incoming diamonds. Anyway, I think I am finished for now, way too much time on PS tonight....

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I found a couple of diamonds in your price range. I paid attention to the mm as I didn't want to find anything smaller than the one you chose. Also, they are si2 clarity. This clarity rating can be very tricky as some are completely eye clean (like mine) and some you can definitely see inclusions. I would call the vendors and ask them if you can see the inclusions or not. The pricescope vendors here are highly respected and will give you an honest answer. I think in your size diamond it would be more important to concentrate on the color in the diamond more than any inclusions. And I'd save the money and get 14k.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1101301.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1060484.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have a lot of choices with everyone''s "finds" for you. I would go for a diamond with a higher color than J, definitely ideal cut and eye clean. I have a .53 ct diamond and have it mounted in 4 prongs and really like it; the diamond is nice and open and gets a lot of light. I definitely agree to go with a 14K mounting to save money. Good luck. I''ll be anxious to see what you get.

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I am going to call whiteflash this morning and put the diamond on hold and will investigate your finds after work. I really appreciate that you all would take your time to help me. I especially thank you "WorkingHardforSmallRewards" for the time that you have spent on this.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Nitfan1: as an owner of a 0.308ct whiteflash stone, with similar proportions to that one... then i can you will not be disappointed.

there is some thoughts among the experts that over 0.5ct stones that have a pavilion angle more than 41° then it can start to show the body colour of the diamond more, as the pavilion gets steeper.

This isnt an issue for diamonds under 0.5ct like this one your looking at - the lightscope and ASET images look great, so light return - both fire and whitelight return will be top notch, and will mask the low colour very well, theres a thread on here - think in the show me the ring forum called ''show me your J colour diamonds''.

No its not an ACA stone, but it looks like one of the ''almost, but not quite'' to the eyes of Brian, and as such you aint paying the ACA premium, but still getting a cracker of a stone. plus with a depth of 59.9% your getting maxium visual size for weight without sacrificing the light return. (Garry, who developed the HCA believes the shallower stones perform better in the everyday world, like when the diamond is dirty)

with pricescope discount being the same as paying by bank wire then you can get that stone for about $483 and i think to match its visual size, while increasing the colour grade your either going to drop to a 0.3ct for a H, or spend an extra $200 to get a 0.4ct with a H Grade. so personally - stick with that one, evaluate in your hands and see what you think, if your not happy then - take advantage of WF excellent return policy. or alternativly get it sent to a local appraiser and have a look at it there.

and i second the thoughts that a 6 prong ring would cover too much of the diamond, i had mine set in a 2 prong wishbone setting, really shows of the diamond, maximising its smaller size (folk often cant correctly guess its size... had comments that it looks larger than their 1/2 or 1ct stones lol. - but then their aint the top cut either - standard uk commercial cut quality)

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
FYI: Whiteflash will not be getting new diamond inventory until the end of october or beginning of November. The rep that I spoke to on the phone said that they just recently received a shipment.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
yip. it seemed they got a new shipment in mid August - a lot of diamonds went up without all the IS, ASET, hearts and all the other pictures they normally take, just scans of the AGS certs,

John''s explination at the time was they normally take alot of the photos before they are sent to the lab for grading, but hadnt had time, and the photo dept was a flurry of activity to get everything up as quick as possible

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for everyone who helped me out. I did look at all diamonds, and all things considered, went with the original whiteflash diamond. I just got an email with pictures of the ring, so I thought I would post it. It isn''t anything ornate, as my girlfriend and I are quite traditional, but I think it is beautiful.

JoshShroyer_1001.jpg

Nitfan1

Rough_Rock
Slightly larger picture.

JoshShroyer_1001(2).jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 8:08:26 PM
Thanks again for everyone who helped me out. I did look at all diamonds, and all things considered, went with the original whiteflash diamond. I just got an email with pictures of the ring, so I thought I would post it. It isn''t anything ornate, as my girlfriend and I are quite traditional, but I think it is beautiful.
Me too.
2.gif

Congrats!

sera

Ideal_Rock
You did a great job; it''s very pretty! Post your hand shots when you propose!

(BTW... you might want to change your filename on the pic)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Look at those arrows!
30.gif
I think it''s great! May she wear it in good health and happiness.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results