shape
carat
color
clarity

B''Scope vs. HCA vs. Real Life

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
How well do these three measures of a diamond''s brilliance compare? Real Life is the real deal but how close do the HCA and B''Scope represent what one could expect to "see". I am looking at many diamonds with HCA in the 0.8 to 2.0 range, Ex - VG or with B''Scope of High+ to Very High for white, color and scint. In this range of cut quality do I even need to worry about the differences in scores? Can anyone tell a difference?
thanks,

barry

Shiny_Rock
Dave;

The feedback we have received from consumers
who have visited with us to "see" SuperbCerts
in person is that the BScope is accurate
in its depiction. As far as being able to detect
and differentiate the bars between High to Very High,
this is very difficult to pick up in "real" time.
We show the diamonds under different lighting conditions
and this is where your focus should be, on the 5 light view images.
There is a very direct correlation between these light images
and what consumers actually "see" when they view the diamonds
from various angles under different lighting.
This direct correlation also holds for our
Princess Cuts.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi diga,

2 key points I would also like to add are...

1. The B'scope results depict how the diamond will appear in direct light conditions. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference though from a stone with 2 out of 3 VH's next to a triple VH. And even 1 of 3 VH with the other 2 close to VH (but H). When a diamond has an exceptional ability to reflect and refract light back to the eye that will cause something in the B'scope to jump into the VH range.
1.gif
This becomes more apparent in fancies too.
2. The B'scope does not depict the beauty of the diamond so much in diffuse light conditions. This is where optical symmetry (or 3d symmetry) comes into play with the optical analysis. A crisp clear H&A is outstanding in the softer or more diffuse light condition and the B'scope more of less gives you an idea through it's light view 6 diffuse image but the H&A images give you a much better idea to the level of precision which the diamond has been cut in terms of this 3d symmetry aspect. It is possible to have a diamond with excellent light return and great B'scope results but also having compromised internal symmetry and vice versa.

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Rhino

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
Thanks Barry and Rhino for the additional insight and information. Are the different light views always the same - do they meet certain specifications? If buying stones sight unseen and "going by the numbers", how inportant is it see a B'scope analysis vs just having a very good HCA score and internal analysis showing cut symmetry?

barry

Shiny_Rock
The BrillianceScope light views provide an important specificity
of information that is most helpful by
showing you the location, intensity, distribution,
and interaction of brilliance, dispersion, and scintillation.
HCA scores between 2 diamonds may be exactly the same
but their light distribution and patterning may significantly differ
from each other.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes. What Barry is saying is true. Not only this but the B'scope is looking at the results of the orchestration of all 57-58 facets of the actual diamond and how it is performing. While the HCA is a noble and good tool it is only predicting results from 17 out of the 57-58 facets and assuming super ideal symmetry (which most diamonds do not have). The minor facets play a major role in it's results. Only recently have I begun to understand just how much. If you'd like I can show you diamonds that have identical crown/pavilion/table data and completely different B'scope and LightScope results based on minor facet variations.

These will be things in our upcoming tutorial on the subject.

Peace,
Rhino

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Have gone through your other tutorials, Rhino, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this once you put it together.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results