shape
carat
color
clarity

Brownish-Pink and Pinkish-Brown....Which???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Florida

Rough_Rock
I am a bit confused. A Pinkish-Brown diamond is just a brown diamond with a bit of pink tones? A Brownish-Pink diamond is a true pink diamond with brownish tones?

I have seen several sites that have Pinkish-Brown diamonds listed under "pink diamonds". I was wondering if some grading system would lump both colors under pink or if the sites had it wrong. I want to get this straight, before I go Koo-koo.

Thank You

ETA: Sorry about the title. I meant to say "Which is a pink diamond????".

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this for you Florida - I think you have it right, but am not sure and would like to know myself, so lets see what the experts say!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2007 7:10:36 AM
Author:Florida
I am a bit confused. A Pinkish-Brown diamond is just a brown diamond with a bit of pink tones? A Brownish-Pink diamond is a true pink diamond with brownish tones? Pinkish-Brown= the main color is brown. pink is secondary. same for brownish pink.
you might find a report that says brown-pink..., same rules but the secondary color in this case "brown" is more dominant than if it were "brownish"!!!

I have seen several sites that have Pinkish-Brown diamonds listed under ''pink diamonds''. I was wondering if some grading system would lump both colors under pink or if the sites had it wrong. I want to get this straight, before I go Koo-koo.

Thank You

ETA: Sorry about the title. I meant to say ''Which is a pink diamond????''.
Its much more complicated..., in grading fancy color diamond, the graders have to translate the different color tones to percentages (for example 30% brown vs. 70% pink, or sometimes more than just two color tones.)
And according to GIA, the grading of colored diamonds is based on face up appearance.

Florida

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help.

Florida

Rough_Rock
That chart makes sense.

Thank You.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2007 5:01:25 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Argyle Diamonds use an easy system for pinks

http://www.preciousmetals.com.au/coloured_gems.asp

The chart here shows that brownish pink is a pik diamond and pinkish brown = champagne diamond with a touch of pink (and half the cost)

Like i said before..., its much more complicated that just 35 different shades, hue''s or mixes of colors.
The chart is a good "starting point" to understand the system! but according to my experiences with colored diamonds, every colored diamond looks different to each individual, and it changes often with the different lighting environments.
Not all pink''s come from Argyle, and different mines produces different pinks.

Grading the color of colored diamonds is not as easy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results