shape
carat
color
clarity

brown graining

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If brown graining is see around a feather does this mean the feather is a natural inclusion, if a diamond has breakage it would not develop brown graining would it after it has grown?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As grain is a growth phenomena I believe it could not change colour after growth, so I have probably answered my own question. Can anyone confirm this?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Look at the graining with crossed polarized filters.

You could be seeing strain, or just shadowing.

Rockdoc

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may be shadowing. Grain cannot change colour after the diamond is formed though can it? I can see this with a loupe. Don''t have access to crossed polarised filters at the moment but no worry as it is an old very small diamond.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can grain change colour after the diamond is formed due to damage?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 10:04:40 PM
Author: Pyramid

Can grain change colour after the diamond is formed due to damage?

The color grade is determined by what the grader sees. If the brown graining shows, then yes - it did affect the conclusion for the color grade.

Are you assuming that brown graining or shadowning is damage? It isn''t in most cases.

Rockdoc

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks RockDoc. Yes I was wondering if when a diamond got damaged if brown graining could materialize?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results