shape
carat
color
clarity

Brookstone US

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I got a Brookstone ultrasonic cleaner for Christmas. The directions say to just use tap water so I did, and wasn''t impressed with the results. Can I use a cleaning solution in this US, or just water? I''ve searched and there are a lot of different mixtures people use...is there one that is more higly recommended? Thanks!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have a Frontgate ultrasonic cleaner and it also says to use only water. I have ignored that and use Dawn dishwashing liquid and a couple of sprays of Windex in very warm water and I have had no problems with my ultrasonic. I have been using it for over a year now.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
there also is US cleaning solution that you can purchase at the SI store, and probably online as well. I use a capful of that in mine and hot tap water. works pretty well.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I have windex and I have some liquid dishwashing stuff...either Joy or Dawn, I''ll have to look. I hope I can find something that works because I''d hate to return it.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, I''ll look online...I don''t have an SI store around here.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t get this. How in the world do they think PLAIN water is going to clean a diamond?
33.gif

A little Amonia once in awhile really helps too.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 11:12:16 AM
Author: Ellen
I don't get this. How in the world do they think PLAIN water is going to clean a diamond?
33.gif

A little Amonia once in awhile really helps too.

I don't get it either. I just don't want to use chemicals if it's going to harm the cleaner. Water only didn't do a good job, so if people here say I can't use a cleaning solution, it's going back. I can't imagine why I can't use some?

Perhaps they market it that way as a cost effective thing? Implying that "all you need is water, no need to buy special solution". I don't know.
33.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 11:27:34 AM
Author: orbaya

I don''t get it either. I just don''t want to use chemicals if it''s going to harm the cleaner. Water only didn''t do a good job, so if people here say I can''t use a cleaning solution, it''s going back. I can''t imagine why I can''t use some?

Perhaps they market it that way as a cost effective thing? Implying that ''all you need is water, no need to buy special solution''. I don''t know.
33.gif
Strange...Well, at any rate, I don''t see how a little dish liquid would hurt it.
28.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I have the Brookstone US also! I used a little dawn in the water and was very satisfied with the results. I didn''t even read what the directions said about which solutions to use, I simply read about what folks on PS used. After all these are very educated diamond jewelry consumers.
2.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hot water will do a pretty good job. Cold water won''t do so well. We suggest hot water and a few capfuls of Mr. Clean.

One does not use a detergent when oil is present, such as in emerald. One avoids heat also with emerald and tanzanite. Emeralds are best not put into an ultrasonic anyway.

Then there is a list of other things one should avoid, such as putting pearls into an ultrasonic.

old water will be ineffective yet safe. Hot water and a bit of detergent for diamonds will be best.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it possible you live in an area that has hard water? (high mineral content) that leaves minerals when it dries?

Perhaps try distilled water, even if you add soap or windex.

If it is minerals left over after evaporation perhaps shaking out the excess water will help.
Then there is less of it to evaporate.
Or blow as much water out as you can with a blower for camera lenses or a can of compressed air.

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
I also have the Brookstone US. I usually use hot water, a few squirts of Windex, and a teeny drop of dishwashing soap. I haven''t been overwhelmed with the results, so maybe I''ll try the Mr. Clean idea and see if it works better. People seem to be more happy with the Sharper Image US. I wonder if there is a big difference between how that one cleans vs. the Brookstone.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 12:17:51 PM
Author: oldminer
Hot water will do a pretty good job. Cold water won''t do so well. We suggest hot water and a few capfuls of Mr. Clean.

One does not use a detergent when oil is present, such as in emerald. One avoids heat also with emerald and tanzanite. Emeralds are best not put into an ultrasonic anyway.

Then there is a list of other things one should avoid, such as putting pearls into an ultrasonic.

old water will be ineffective yet safe. Hot water and a bit of detergent for diamonds will be best.
Thanks for the info. I do have some tanzanite...how should I clean that? Other than emeralds, pearls and tanzanite, can I use detergent and hot water for colored gemstones?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 12:44:33 PM
Author: HooCares
I also have the Brookstone US. I usually use hot water, a few squirts of Windex, and a teeny drop of dishwashing soap. I haven''t been overwhelmed with the results, so maybe I''ll try the Mr. Clean idea and see if it works better. People seem to be more happy with the Sharper Image US. I wonder if there is a big difference between how that one cleans vs. the Brookstone.
I am wondering that too. I''m debating whether I should return it and get the SI one. I don''t want to spend $120 for a cleaner though. I will try the hot water, windex and dishwashing soap combo and see what happens.

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 1:35:42 PM

I am wondering that too. I''m debating whether I should return it and get the SI one. I don''t want to spend $120 for a cleaner though. I will try the hot water, windex and dishwashing soap combo and see what happens.
And I''ll go try the Mr. Clean idea, and we can compare results! I also bought the Brookstone because it was less expensive. I didn''t think there''d be much difference between the Brookstone and Sharper Image, but now I''m not so sure!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 12:17:51 PM
Author: oldminer

I knew they were soft but I did not know *this*!! I have this old dirty filthy nasty emerald in a nugget setting that I was going to clean and now I''m gonna have to figure out *how* to clean it lol I know my mom cleaned it and wore it in soap.... no wonder it''s in such bad shape lol I had no idea about oil in the stone.... how weird!

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 1:47:20 PM

And I''ll go try the Mr. Clean idea, and we can compare results! I also bought the Brookstone because it was less expensive. I didn''t think there''d be much difference between the Brookstone and Sharper Image, but now I''m not so sure!
OK, so I tried the Mr. Clean idea that Old Miner recommended and it is definitely a winner!!!
36.gif
With the Brookstone US, I have tried 1.) plain hot water and gotten little result, 2.) hot water and Windex with a little better result, but still not completely clean, 3.) a mixture of hot water, a few squirts of Windex, and a teeny drop of dishwashing soap and gotten about the same results as #2, but there also seemed to be a residue left on the stone, 4.) hot water and 2 capfuls of Mr. Clean and gotten beautiful results--my stone is crystal clear again!

I''m so glad you started this thread, Orbaya, because now I don''t feel like I need to get the Sharper Image US. Let me know what you results you get, and if you are any happier with the Mr. Clean idea.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 2:07:06 PM

OK, so I tried the Mr. Clean idea that Old Miner recommended and it is definitely a winner!!!
36.gif
With the Brookstone US, I have tried 1.) plain hot water and gotten little result, 2.) hot water and Windex with a little better result, but still not completely clean, 3.) a mixture of hot water, a few squirts of Windex, and a teeny drop of dishwashing soap and gotten about the same results as #2, but there also seemed to be a residue left on the stone, 4.) hot water and 2 capfuls of Mr. Clean and gotten beautiful results--my stone is crystal clear again!

I''m so glad you started this thread, Orbaya, because now I don''t feel like I need to get the Sharper Image US. Let me know what you results you get, and if you are any happier with the Mr. Clean idea.

I''ll let you know what my results are when I try that mixture. What Mr. Clean did you use?

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 3:10:42 PM

Date: 12/27/2006 2:07:06 PM

36.gif

I''ll let you know what my results are when I try that mixture. What Mr. Clean did you use?
Just the type I happened to have under my sink--Mr. Clean Antibacterial in Summer Citrus. I really am amazed at the difference. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results