shape
carat
color
clarity

Brooch to bracelet conversion?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have this wild idea in my head of buying one of the lovely little fillagree brooches I see on ebay, remove the pin back, attach chain to each and and wearing it as a bracelet. Am I crazy? Do you think it would be possible? Something like this little guy (1.5" wide)

__kgrhqr__qwfeyksnuo6bri679vs2q__60_57.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous brooch! I think that could be done...unfortunately don't have any suggestions on who would be able to handle it but it seems like a straightforward job. I have a tiny wrist so I think 1.5" would span almost the whole top surface and not sure how comfortable it would be to wear, so that would be the only thing I could offer to keep in mind.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful brooch :love:
If you use chain, do you think it will flip to underside of your wrist because of the difference in weight? Or were you thinking of making the bracelet quite snug? I wonder if you could do bangle style bracelet instead to prevent flipping?

Eta: it would make an awesome necklace pendant as well!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I've seen quite a few vintage bracelets on ebay that I suspect were brooches converted to bracelets, and I think it's a fantastic idea. In addition to the thoughts already offered, one thing to consider is the size of the pin and whether it will conform/curve to your wrist. Some of those larger brooches are stunning, but if they're flat, the ends might stick out since it's all one piece and not articulated/hinged.

You can find various types of chain or bracelet links from a jewelry supply, and it should be pretty straightforward for a bench to attach.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I love the idea of repurposing an antique piece of jewelry to make it more wearable! The brooches make great necklaces too if you add chain to the ends where the pin is. I have earrings that I had repurposed from the 2 ends of a brooch. You can check out that thread on Show me the Bling. The bracelet sounds fun . Only thing that might be a problem is the rotation as others have stated. Good luck.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Instead of using a chain you can pay a little more and get a link bracelet attached. That would help with it not flipping but still look delicate. I have no idea who could do this for you but it is definitely doable.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies, good to know I'm not dreaming up something impossible!

The brooches I had in mind would be the tiny ones, 1-1.5", so being flat wouldn't be an issue and I'd make it snug enough not to flip. I think my local guy would be able to add a chain easily. This will be the perfect project for our anniversary in September :naughty:

styringca

Rough_Rock
I am confused why you want to do that,the brooch looks great,why to change it to a bracelet?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
styringca|1369292599|3452317 said:
I am confused why you want to do that,the brooch looks great,why to change it to a bracelet?

That one does look lovely, but I've never worn a brooch, and don't really have the wardrobe or lifestyle to go with one (I would wager most women would have no use for a brooch these days). I love the looks of them though, and thought it would look nice re-purposed to a bracelet.

I haven't bought one yet, but I think I'll be hunting for one with the goal to have it finished in September for our 12th anniversary.

marrying

Rough_Rock
Trade
Gold brooch (convertible to a bracelet) set with turquoises and with a shell cameo of a portrait of man with initials engraved on the truncation. In the original leather case and supplied with a black leather band to convert the brooch to a bracelet.

Diamondless

Rough_Rock
I think this is a great idea! Definitely seems possible with the smaller ones. As long as it isn't as wide as your wrist, it should fit well :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll have to find a FINE bench jeweler that specializes in working with antiques… so that they don't crack it while bending it! Yikes! I think this is a fabulous idea, and if you pull it off, I might want one too!!! :naughty:

Diamondless

Rough_Rock
madelise|1370030549|3456987 said:
You'll have to find a FINE bench jeweler that specializes in working with antiques… so that they don't crack it while bending it! Yikes! I think this is a fabulous idea, and if you pull it off, I might want one too!!! :naughty:
They might not have to bend it, if it's a smaller one they could just leave it as a bar and not risk it. But for curiosities sake, how would they bend it?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I was trying to stay small enough sized that it wouldn't need bent, 1.5" wide or less.

Bending one of the long bar brooches would be lovely too!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
great idea. i wish worse bracelets cos i would do the same thing! i would consider having 2 chains attached slightly apart to prevent it flipping upside down.

Gabriellehb

Rough_Rock
It's a lovely idea and would look nice but I would be worried that wearing such a delicate design as a bracelet versus a brooch would increase the possibility of getting it damaged from either banging or catching it against something.

Trillium

Rough_Rock
saw this photos and thought of your idea. Looks like it can be done, links are lovely. wg_sapp_bracelet_1_4.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
hi ! Just wondering if you ended up doing your conversion??

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!! I did see the few JBG ones and they are lovely!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I ended up buying an actual bracelet instead, although I still love the idea of converting a brooch!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MustangGal|1437771080|3907049 said:
I ended up buying an actual bracelet instead, although I still love the idea of converting a brooch!

Would love to see a pic MustangGal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results