shape
carat
color
clarity

broken diamond??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andrewkl

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a princess diamond weighing 1.03ct. I brought it to a reputable jeweler, who brought it to a diamond setter. In the setting process, the diamond was cracked length-wise. The setter had the stone cut & polished, but it now seems lop-sided under a loupe. When the jeweler first saw the stone (before the mishap), he noted bad symetry. NOW, ne say's it's a better stone than before, but I have a thick girdle on one edge, what appears to be an uneven cut, and a .91 rock... Any comments? I plan to ask the jeweler (who is a friend as well) to replace the diamond with one of like kind, size and quality to my original diamond.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is no trade insurance for such damage and risks.
If you have the ring insured you can make a claim on an all risks policy of your own. The jeweller may play a very hard game and not accept any liability and you may have to instigate lengthy and mess court preceedings.
garry

andrewkl

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input. I've read many of your posts here recently.I should also bring up the point that I did not buy the stone from the jeweler who had it set. He had stated at the time of this mishap that had the stone been purchased through him, he'd be able to simply replace it, which leads me to believe he may not be inclined to do so now.the wholesaler who sold me the stone gave me a guarantee that at any time, I could trade that stone up to a bigger/better stone. Of course, that was assuming I was trading up an undamaged diamond.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Andrew, did the jeweler or setter informed you that the diamond could be damaged during the setting and did you give them approval for it? If not, it should be their responsibility. They took the job, which resulted in the damage for you. I wonder whether they can have insurance for such things.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You ought to be entitled to a replacment similar to the original diamond and the seller and setter can take the old stone and sell it to partially re-imburse their expense in covering your loss. You should not be held responsible for this sort of damage to a diamond. If it were an emerald, that would be very different, but diamonds are so durable that it would be very unusual to put a consumer at risk in getting a diamond set.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Andrewkl, sorry to hear about your mishap.When you go from 1.03 to .91 you are loosing a lot in price. Usually the setter is responsible for the crack unless he warned you about danger. I think it is a good idea to ask for replacement or reimburstment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results