shape
carat
color
clarity

broken corners on princess cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

littlepiggy

Rough_Rock
I need some help. I have a 1.3 carat ideal princess cut diamond with sapphires on each side set in platinum. I have only had this ring for 9 months. I was taking off my jewelry the other night and dropped my ring on the floor. I picked it up and noticed that the diamond was crooked and had come out of the setting. I thought the ring had bounced on the rug since I didn''t hear any sound when it dropped but now guessing it must have dropped on the tile for this to have happened.

The jeweler where it was purchased removed it from the setting and can now see that all 4 corners of the diamond are broken. Two opposite corners are severely damaged and the other two have minor damage. Is this normal???I understand that a diamond can break if hit just right but this seems a little concerning to me since I have had the ring for less than a year. Also, we took it in to be inspected a few months ago and one of the employees of the store said that one prong appeared to be off but had the manager look at it and she said no. And now this happens.

Anyone have any thoughts? I am at a loss as to having to replace a diamond worth so much money. I don''t know whether to have the jeweler have the stone re-cut or seek legal action.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The breakage was a result of the fall there is no grounds for legal action.
It is not unexpected for the corners to be broke after such a fall as it is a weak part of a princess cut.
How long you had it really has nothing to do with it, it could have been dropped and broke the first day you had it or a 100 years from now when your great grandchild had it..
Do you have it insured? Your insurance company will cover this if you did.

I am sorry to hear this happened to your diamond.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It could happen, not sure when.

Don''t you have insurance for the ring? It should be covered by the insurance if you have it.

littlepiggy

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately we don''t have it insured. I would have never guessed something like this would have happened. Should I just get V prongs on the next diamond to ensure this doesn''t happen again?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will not really help with the V prongs as that is just a weak point of the cut. Just get it insured next time.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2009 4:41:39 PM
Author: littlepiggy
Unfortunately we don''t have it insured. I would have never guessed something like this would have happened. Should I just get V prongs on the next diamond to ensure this doesn''t happen again?
V-prongs help with some impacts but it is impossible to say it would have in this case.
Insurance is your best protection.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry to hear about your woes
38.gif

You may be able to make a claim up to $1k etc on your home contents - check it out - every litle bit helps.

if you replace the stone check out the photo''s of the corners of the diamond at the very bottom of this article
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/78/1/What-is-an-Eye-Clean-Diamond--.aspx

I pay a lot to have this done for every princess cut we sell to protect customers from your experiance.

I actually find that most princess cuts we unset have at least one corner chipped and it is impossible to prove it happened during setting, unsetting or during everyday wear.

Vee is the safest option - but good setters grind a little ball shaped hole in that spot and as you wear the ring the blows eventually push that setting metal onto the diamond and further blows can cause the chipping.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
If the corner chips are small and somewhat evenly angled, could you have someone smooth them out, basically a recut but with only minor modifications? The final product would look something like this. Since your diamond isn''t insured, that may be a good option to look into.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2009 4:18:55 PM
Author:littlepiggy
I need some help. I have a 1.3 carat ideal princess cut diamond with sapphires on each side set in platinum. I have only had this ring for 9 months. I was taking off my jewelry the other night and dropped my ring on the floor. I picked it up and noticed that the diamond was crooked and had come out of the setting. I thought the ring had bounced on the rug since I didn''t hear any sound when it dropped but now guessing it must have dropped on the tile for this to have happened.

The jeweler where it was purchased removed it from the setting and can now see that all 4 corners of the diamond are broken. Two opposite corners are severely damaged and the other two have minor damage. Is this normal???I understand that a diamond can break if hit just right but this seems a little concerning to me since I have had the ring for less than a year. Also, we took it in to be inspected a few months ago and one of the employees of the store said that one prong appeared to be off but had the manager look at it and she said no. And now this happens.

Anyone have any thoughts? I am at a loss as to having to replace a diamond worth so much money. I don''t know whether to have the jeweler have the stone re-cut or seek legal action.
This sounds strange to me that all 4 corners might have broken when dropped, are you sure what you are seeing is damage and that the corners weren''t already rounded off? There is a process called chamfering where the corners of some princess are rounded off as protection, might not be the case but just thought it was worth mentioning as you say all 4 corners are affected.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to tell you I''m so so sorry this has happened!!!
7.gif

It''s every stone lover''s nightmare. We really do all understand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results