shape
carat
color
clarity

Bristol Palin and fiance split

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:26:41 PM
Author:vespergirl
Wow, didn''t see that one coming. So much for Republican family values ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29642846?GT1=43001

It''s probably for the best, breaking up as normal teenagers do. The reality is that they made a mistake and IMO, shouldn''t have to play husband and wife because of it.

I wonder how it would have turned out if McCain/Palin had won. Would they have tied the knot by now?

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I think she made a very tough and wise decision. Can you image being in the public eye as a teenager, with people waiting for you to fail because they don''t like your mom? It must be tough to know that your baby won''t grow up with his father in the same household and must be extra tough seeing people laugh in your face when you made a bad choice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am impressed with her maturity; I wonder how well this will go over with the Republicans. It''s tough enough growing up as a teenager, then having a baby, and being in the spotlight.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I felt sorry for the boy. He was sort of railroaded into the "we''re getting married" thing IMO. I mean can you imagine if you got the VP''s daughter pregnant and you bailed? Not really much of an option unless you were willing to go through life knowing the whole country knew you as "that guy".

I predicted the split as soon as Obama won. Now they can both have a life.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:50:44 PM
Author: Chrono
I am impressed with her maturity; I wonder how well this will go over with the Republicans. It''s tough enough growing up as a teenager, then having a baby, and being in the spotlight.
I agree! Republican family values? Who cares? I happen to think she is exercising some good values, realizing that having a child with someone does not necessarily make them a good partner. Better than the child not grow up in an unhappy home! I feel for her and wish her the best.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I went to a Catholic high school. If you got pregnant, you could stay. If you got pregnant and got married, you could not. The theory was, we will support you through one mistake, but not two.
28.gif

This is for the best, and I am glad that they both realized it. Thankfully, Bristol''s family is more than capable of supporting her through this. I hope people can leave them all alone now.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:08:26 PM
Author: trillionaire
I went to a Catholic high school. If you got pregnant, you could stay. If you got pregnant and got married, you could not. The theory was, we will support you through one mistake, but not two.
28.gif

This is for the best, and I am glad that they both realized it. Thankfully, Bristol''s family is more than capable of supporting her through this. I hope people can leave them all alone now.

Trill, I am impressed by your school. I knew so many girls in HS who were trapped by their families'' faith, it was sad, so few options. But that was back when Dan Quayle spoke out against Murphy Brown and said that single mothers were destroying the fabric of America. Yes, it is very much time for America to stop focusing on them.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
28.gif

Sometimes nuns know best! That is a great policy, trill.

I''m not glad they broke up but I am glad they''re not staying together for the sake of Bristol''s mother''s political career. But I also wonder how the "family values" Republicans will take (and spin) this.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think Bristol Palin ever said she was a Republican. Sure she supported her mother getting elected as VP, who wouldn''t? But she never said she shares the same political views as her mother (unless I missed this).

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:21:36 PM
Author: thing2of2

28.gif

Sometimes nuns know best! That is a great policy, trill.

I''m not glad they broke up but I am glad they''re not staying together for the sake of Bristol''s mother''s political career. But I also wonder how the ''family values'' Republicans will take (and spin) this.

Stay tuned! I am sure Limbaugh and O''Reilly can''t wait to weigh in!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally saw this coming. I thought they didn't really like each other.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t agree that they didn''t love each other once. I think he had her name tatooed on his ring finger. I have no problem believing they were teenagers in love and ended up in an intended circumstance. But the vast majority of us thankfully were not meant to marry someone we dated in high school! So I am very happy that this young couple decided against marrying for the wrong reasons. I hope Bristol can go to college and make a good future for herself and her baby.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good for her!

mz

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others that she made a very tough, but mature, decision.

Certainly will be interesting to see how the media reacts to this.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I am a republican and as far as I am concerned, no spin! They did right by each other by not marrying. The family values will come in with each of their own families supporting them, (hopefully).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:06:13 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Well, I am a republican and as far as I am concerned, no spin! They did right by each other by not marrying. The family values will come in with each of their own families supporting them, (hopefully).

Oh I didn''t mean reasonable Republicans (wait-is that an oxymoron?!
11.gif
), TGal. I meant the crazies like Limbaugh and O''Reilly, and all those religious "family values" type groups who big puffy hearted Bristol for marrying her babydaddy and having the kid instead of getting an abortion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I''m still glad she had her baby, and I am glad they value marriage enough not to marry when they are not ready.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:19:47 PM

11.gif
), TGal. I meant the crazies like Limbaugh and O''Reilly, and all those religious ''family values'' type groups who big puffy hearted Bristol for marrying her babydaddy and having the kid instead of getting an abortion.
This is also who I was referring to when I said "the media" in my previous post.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:19:47 PM

11.gif
), TGal. I meant the crazies like Limbaugh and O''Reilly, and all those religious ''family values'' type groups who big puffy hearted Bristol for marrying her babydaddy and having the kid instead of getting an abortion.
Oh you crazy no morals democrat you, lol....

I''m to some degree (albeit small) a religious family values republican. But I''m realistic too. There''s a happy medium in that category, believe it or not.

I just think that with this new development, they probably avoided having three miserable lives and now potentially can have 3 happy ones (although probably not without some blood, sweat and tears.)

(And yes, I''m going to teach my daughter about birth control. We''ll be using condoms for those water balloon fights so we can explain what they are: "For god''s sake kids, see what happens when these suckers break? A HUGE MESS!!!!")

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 11:28:16 PM

Oh you crazy no morals democrat you, lol....

I''m to some degree (albeit small) a religious family values republican. But I''m realistic too. There''s a happy medium in that category, believe it or not.

I just think that with this new development, they probably avoided having three miserable lives and now potentially can have 3 happy ones (although probably not without some blood, sweat and tears.)

(And yes, I''m going to teach my daughter about birth control. We''ll be using condoms for those water balloon fights so we can explain what they are: ''For god''s sake kids, see what happens when these suckers break? A HUGE MESS!!!!'')
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
You mean that FINGER TATTOO didn''t mean "forever"??
31.gif
11.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I wonder what Sarah Palin thinks about the breakup?

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Why does this have anything to do with "Republican Family Values". These kids are 18, did you expect anything less? I don''t think we''ve heard anything about Todd Palin using cigars on his "little friend" lately.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 6:47:17 AM
Author: tradergirl
Why does this have anything to do with ''Republican Family Values''. These kids are 18, did you expect anything less? I don''t think we''ve heard anything about Todd Palin using cigars on his ''little friend'' lately.

You are correct, Todd should be congratulated for not being arrested in an airport bathroom for soliciting sex from men while loudly proclaiming in his public life that homosexuality is an abomination. I don''t personally care if my Senators are gay, actually both of mine are at the state and federal level; the hypocrisy is in saying something is a sin, be it pre-marital sex or homosexuality, and then condoning it in your private life.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 6:47:17 AM
Author: tradergirl
Why does this have anything to do with ''Republican Family Values''. These kids are 18, did you expect anything less? I don''t think we''ve heard anything about Todd Palin using cigars on his ''little friend'' lately.
Personally, I didn''t ever think that they should get married, or have the baby. I was totally disgusted by the way that Palin seemed to doom her daughter to a life without choices by throwing her pregnancy in the spotlight like that. Instead of just saying "my daughter''s pregnant, deal with it" they had to present the couple as engaged and excited about getting married and having the baby together to pander to the Christian Right. If my kid were in a crisis situation like Bristol was, I never would have accepted the nomination and made her personal problems fodder for the media. I also wouldn''t have pushed the "family values" agenda on them, as the campaign obviously did by scrambling to announce an engagement and making Levi appear in public with the Palin family.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Trill, that''s interesting- I would guess they''d have pushed for marriage. I also went to a Catholic school, and though you could stay if you were pregnant, you were hidden- you had to take all your classes in the convent with the nuns. I remember seeing a VERY pregnant senior waddling around the halls after school when I was a sophomore, and that''s the last time I ever saw her.

(Did someone just "....bbbbut Clinton" a Bristol Palin thread?)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I went to Catholic school (for 1 year). Their policy was that if you got pregnant, they would support you and do everything they could to help you finish your education. They would even let the students bring the baby if something happened and they couldn't get a sitter (I never saw this, the teachers said it happen).

I am pro choice, and try to keep that both ways. If a teenage girl believes that life begins at conception, I don't think she should be pushed into abortion. I don't think women should be told what to do with their bodies based on values that they do not share with those that are encouraging them. It sounds like from what little I know, that Bristol did take time to think about this without getting her mother's opinion and made her own choice.

I am also glad that Bristol didn't marry the guy when her mother wanted her too. Getting married for a baby is not a good reason to get married.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I honestly believe it takes huge confidence and courage to do what Bristol just did. She''s so young, and embarking on single parenthood must have been a really hard decision to come to, I know many educated, successful adult woman who are to scared to do what she just did. And I''m so proud of her for not compounding the issue with marriage.

Babies are never mistakes, accidents maybe--but happy ones. Marriage on the other hand can be a big mistake. I''m so happy she decided to save herself. This isn''t a Republican/Democratic issue...it''s a common sense one.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 10:19:16 AM
Author: vespergirl

Personally, I didn''t ever think that they should get married, or have the baby. I was totally disgusted by the way that Palin seemed to doom her daughter to a life without choices by throwing her pregnancy in the spotlight like that. Instead of just saying ''my daughter''s pregnant, deal with it'' they had to present the couple as engaged and excited about getting married and having the baby together to pander to the Christian Right. If my kid were in a crisis situation like Bristol was, I never would have accepted the nomination and made her personal problems fodder for the media. I also wouldn''t have pushed the ''family values'' agenda on them, as the campaign obviously did by scrambling to announce an engagement and making Levi appear in public with the Palin family.
+1.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results