shape
carat
color
clarity

Bristol Palin and fiance split

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
I think it was a lot of pressure for both of them. Obviously the spotlight that they were under was not helping. Also, his mother was arrested for DRUGS or something, right? I dunno if the Palin family really wanted Bristol to marry into all that mess. I really wonder if McCain knew about the pregnancy before he nominated her. Maybe he and his handlers did not think it would be such a big deal. I bet Bristol and "that guy" breathed a GIANT sigh of relief when Obama ran....lol And as a conservative Repocrat, a Democrat with very conservative values, I don''t blame her, marriage is a very serious undertaking.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 12:53:59 PM
Author: starsapphire
I think it was a lot of pressure for both of them. Obviously the spotlight that they were under was not helping. Also, his mother was arrested for DRUGS or something, right? I dunno if the Palin family really wanted Bristol to marry into all that mess. I really wonder if McCain knew about the pregnancy before he nominated her. Maybe he and his handlers did not think it would be such a big deal. I bet Bristol and ''that guy'' breathed a GIANT sigh of relief when Obama ran....lol And as a conservative Repocrat, a Democrat with very conservative values, I don''t blame her, marriage is a very serious undertaking.
Oops, I meant to say when Obama WON. sorry.
20.gif

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and BTW, Democrats have "family values" too.

The reason that it is such a big deal when Repubs "fall" is that Repubs hold themselves to "higher standards" than Demos. When Demos, "fall", it is not such a big deal because it is not really "expected" of them to be "good".......
41.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 10:13:56 AM
Author: swimmer

Date: 3/12/2009 6:47:17 AM
Author: tradergirl
Why does this have anything to do with ''Republican Family Values''. These kids are 18, did you expect anything less? I don''t think we''ve heard anything about Todd Palin using cigars on his ''little friend'' lately.

You are correct, Todd should be congratulated for not being arrested in an airport bathroom for soliciting sex from men while loudly proclaiming in his public life that homosexuality is an abomination. I don''t personally care if my Senators are gay, actually both of mine are at the state and federal level; the hypocrisy is in saying something is a sin, be it pre-marital sex or homosexuality, and then condoning it in your private life.
I think this is where the concept of sin is confused by some.

I can think something is wrong, "i.e. sin." but that doesn''t make me immune to it. Everyone "sins." Everyone screws up. We deal with it in our every day lives.

Every human being I know is fallible. What I believe, in fact, teaches that. I can teach my kid pre-marital sex is a sin (although for the record I won''t because I just think you''re opening up a can of worms there - I''d rather teach her that while I prefer her to hold off until she finds someone she loves, if she''s gonna do it, use birth control!) and if she were to have premarital sex, I would still (for this argument''s sake) think it was a sin. I wouldn''t suddenly condone it and say it''s OK. But what happened happened and I believe you deal with it and move on.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 12:48:58 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 3/12/2009 10:19:16 AM
Author: vespergirl

Personally, I didn''t ever think that they should get married, or have the baby. I was totally disgusted by the way that Palin seemed to doom her daughter to a life without choices by throwing her pregnancy in the spotlight like that. Instead of just saying ''my daughter''s pregnant, deal with it'' they had to present the couple as engaged and excited about getting married and having the baby together to pander to the Christian Right. If my kid were in a crisis situation like Bristol was, I never would have accepted the nomination and made her personal problems fodder for the media. I also wouldn''t have pushed the ''family values'' agenda on them, as the campaign obviously did by scrambling to announce an engagement and making Levi appear in public with the Palin family.
+1.

mz
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

thank you

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like most here empathize with her situation, although I have to wonder for those that seem to get some kind of pleasure out of seeing this happen, would you feel the same way if say this happened to one of Obama's daughters in a few years? I suspect those people would be more empathetic and have less of a gleeful and told-you-so attitude if it happened to someone else. I think those people are just feeling this way because they don't like her mother....where else would you see people trashing a 17-year-old that just had a child and realized she will have to raise it without a husband? I'm not the biggest Obama fan, but would feel for his daughter if she was in the situation (years from now of course).

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I''m happy for her. If she doesn''t want to marry this man/boy that dropped out of high school, then good for her. She seems to have a decent head on her shoulders, good family support, and I''m sure she''ll do just fine in life.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 2:40:46 PM
Author: steph72276
It sounds like most here empathize with her situation, although I have to wonder for those that seem to get some kind of pleasure out of seeing this happen, would you feel the same way if say this happened to one of Obama''s daughters in a few years? I suspect those people would be more empathetic and have less of a gleeful and told-you-so attitude if it happened to someone else. I think those people are just feeling this way because they don''t like her mother....where else would you see people trashing a 17-year-old that just had a child and realized she will have to raise it without a husband? I''m not the biggest Obama fan, but would feel for his daughter if she was in the situation (years from now of course).
It is kinda hard when not to have that attitude when her mother was so "in your face" with personal attacks and negativity during the election. I don''t dislike Bristol and I honestly hope the best for her. It would have been horrible to see Bristol and Levi get married just because of what was said during the election. I often wonder how Sarah and Todd really feel about Levi.....

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 3:05:02 PM
Author: akmiss

It sounds like most here empathize with her situation, although I have to wonder for those that seem to get some kind of pleasure out of seeing this happen, would you feel the same way if say this happened to one of Obama''s daughters in a few years? I suspect those people would be more empathetic and have less of a gleeful and told-you-so attitude if it happened to someone else. I think those people are just feeling this way because they don''t like her mother....where else would you see people trashing a 17-year-old that just had a child and realized she will have to raise it without a husband? I''m not the biggest Obama fan, but would feel for his daughter if she was in the situation (years from now of course).
It is kinda hard when not to have that attitude when her mother was so ''in your face'' with personal attacks and negativity during the election. I don''t dislike Bristol and I honestly hope the best for her. It would have been horrible to see Bristol and Levi get married just because of what was said during the election. I often wonder how Sarah and Todd really feel about Levi.....
Really? Because I have no trouble separating the two. Bristol is not her mother. In fact, she probably went against what her mother wanted when she decided not to go through with the marriage. She did this knowing that all the news media would cover the story because she knew in her heart it was the right thing to do. I don''t think any of us can imagine what it would be like for our personal lives to blow up and all the details be on TV, internet and magazine covers. I think it is a shame for any of us to have a "haha, in your face, you failed!" attitude towards any teenager in this position.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 7:47:22 PM
I think she made a very tough and wise decision. Can you image being in the public eye as a teenager, with people waiting for you to fail because they don''t like your mom? It must be tough to know that your baby won''t grow up with his father in the same household and must be extra tough seeing people laugh in your face when you made a bad choice.

I agree. Being in the public for making a mistake at a young age has to be tough.

I don''t think that her not getting married indicate poor family values. It''s great if families can stay together, but better a single mother hopefully doing well on her own than in marriage that isn''t suited for either partner.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 8:08:26 PM
Author: trillionaire
I went to a Catholic high school. If you got pregnant, you could stay. If you got pregnant and got married, you could not. The theory was, we will support you through one mistake, but not two.
28.gif

I love this! What a good thing to teach children. No one is saying that the couple can''t stay together and get married later in life, just that there''s no point in doing it only for the pregnancy.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 3:35:06 PM
Author: Addy

I went to a Catholic high school. If you got pregnant, you could stay. If you got pregnant and got married, you could not. The theory was, we will support you through one mistake, but not two.
28.gif

I love this! What a good thing to teach children. No one is saying that the couple can''t stay together and get married later in life, just that there''s no point in doing it only for the pregnancy.

I am a bit confused about the Catholic high school policy mentioned above. Why is it necessarily a mistake if the pregnant girl decides to get married to the father of her baby? Maybe the reason the school will keep a unmarried pregnant girls is because she is supposed to be a "victim" and therefor need care and support from the church, whereas once she got married she will be assumed to be under the care of her husband? I don''t understand the logic of thinking "getting married pregnant" as a more serious offense than a unwed pregnancy?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock

Personally, I didn''t ever think that they should get married, or have the baby. I was totally disgusted by the way that Palin seemed to doom her daughter to a life without choices by throwing her pregnancy in the spotlight like that. Instead of just saying ''my daughter''s pregnant, deal with it'' they had to present the couple as engaged and excited about getting married and having the baby together to pander to the Christian Right. If my kid were in a crisis situation like Bristol was, I never would have accepted the nomination and made her personal problems fodder for the media. I also wouldn''t have pushed the ''family values'' agenda on them, as the campaign obviously did by scrambling to announce an engagement and making Levi appear in public with the Palin family.
I''m curious. Why? I agree with the rest of what you said, but, I have to wonder why you would say such a thing. It gave me the chills. I have to admit this is a touchy subject for me. Following your mindset, my son would be dead right now. I guess I''m not a worthy parent either since he was born a few weeks before my 19th birthday, I was unmarried, uneducated, and had no money. As I sit here in his room (I like his computer the best) filled with trophies, books, and academic awards, I am so very proud that I didn''t listen to the folks at Planned Parenthood and people like you who told me I could never be a good parent and give my child the life he deserves.

I really hope I am just being touchy. What does a person need to do in order to be a worthy parent in your eyes?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:32:28 PM
Author: Miranda

I''m curious. Why? I agree with the rest of what you said, but, I have to wonder why you would say such a thing. It gave me the chills. I have to admit this is a touchy subject for me. Following your mindset, my son would be dead right now. I guess I''m not a worthy parent either since he was born a few weeks before my 19th birthday, I was unmarried, uneducated, and had no money. As I sit here in his room (I like his computer the best) filled with trophies, books, and academic awards, I am so very proud that I didn''t listen to the folks at Planned Parenthood and people like you who told me I could never be a good parent and give my child the life he deserves.

I really hope I am just being touchy. What does a person need to do in order to be a worthy parent in your eyes?
Did they really tell you that at Planned Parenthood?
23.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock

Agreed. I wouldn''t be here either.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 3:20:39 PM

Really? Because I have no trouble separating the two. Bristol is not her mother. In fact, she probably went against what her mother wanted when she decided not to go through with the marriage. She did this knowing that all the news media would cover the story because she knew in her heart it was the right thing to do. I don't think any of us can imagine what it would be like for our personal lives to blow up and all the details be on TV, internet and magazine covers. I think it is a shame for any of us to have a 'haha, in your face, you failed!' attitude towards any teenager in this position.
36.gif

Except I don't think Sarah Palin was trying to force Bristol to marry him. Or else why wait over 4 months after the election to call it quits? Shouldn't they have been forced to take their vows by that time?
20.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 3/12/2009 3:05:02 PM
Author: akmiss

It is kinda hard when not to have that attitude when her mother was so ''in your face'' with personal attacks and negativity during the election. I don''t dislike Bristol and I honestly hope the best for her. It would have been horrible to see Bristol and Levi get married just because of what was said during the election. I often wonder how Sarah and Todd really feel about Levi.....
Really? Because I have no trouble separating the two. Bristol is not her mother. In fact, she probably went against what her mother wanted when she decided not to go through with the marriage. She did this knowing that all the news media would cover the story because she knew in her heart it was the right thing to do. I don''t think any of us can imagine what it would be like for our personal lives to blow up and all the details be on TV, internet and magazine covers. I think it is a shame for any of us to have a ''haha, in your face, you failed!'' attitude towards any teenager in this position.
I really don''t have that attitude toward Bristol at all. I don''t think she has failed yet either. Her journey has just begun and hopefully she does well. Her mother on the other hand is another story. And yes their stories are connected.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:01:45 PM
Author: zhuzhu
Date: 3/12/2009 3:35:06 PM

Author: Addy

28.gif

I love this! What a good thing to teach children. No one is saying that the couple can't stay together and get married later in life, just that there's no point in doing it only for the pregnancy.

I am a bit confused about the Catholic high school policy mentioned above. Why is it necessarily a mistake if the pregnant girl decides to get married to the father of her baby? Maybe the reason the school will keep a unmarried pregnant girls is because she is supposed to be a 'victim' and therefor need care and support from the church, whereas once she got married she will be assumed to be under the care of her husband? I don't understand the logic of thinking 'getting married pregnant' as a more serious offense than a unwed pregnancy?

for the average couple, two high school parents + marriage + baby = disaster. Bristol is the perfect example. Most are not mature enough to handle it, and most likely, you would not have married them if the circumstances were different. The nuns imagine that you can carry on with grace and dignity, care for your child, and still live a life not 'constrained' by a man, or even the 'rules' that society would try to impose on you as an unwed mother. It is not pro 'victimization', but 'pro-woman'. Now, if you graduate, and you an baby-daddy are still together, and want to marry, more power to you. I know a lot of women who have married high school sweethearts. The point is to refocus your priorities on you, and your child, and finishing HS. 16 and 17 year olds shouldn't have to worry about pleasing hubby. Not yet.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:37:15 PM
Author: LAJennifer

23.gif
Yes. They encouraged me to have an abortion and told me the stats were not in my favor. I''ll agree with them on that point. The stats were not in my favor. It just goes to show you what can happen if you don''t listen to the folks with the *can''t do* philosophy and do what your gut tells you is right. Ah well, it was 15 years ago...A lifetime ago really.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:44:07 PM
Author: luckystar112

Except I don't think Sarah Palin was trying to force Bristol to marry him. Or else why wait over 4 months after the election to call it quits? Shouldn't they have been forced to take their vows by that time?
20.gif

You truly don't think there was increased pressure to marry due to her mom representing (/trying to please) the religious right? Forced, maybe not, but pressured? You betcha. (
3.gif
)

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:42:18 PM

I''m glad your mama didn''t listen either!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a shame for any of us to have a ''haha, in your face, you failed!'' attitude towards any teenager in this position.

I don''t- it sounds like she (they) made a good decision. The article said they''ll raise the baby together, and if they fall in love again and decide to get married when they''re older, more power to them. I hope they can work together to raise the baby so he''ll have two loving, supportive parents in his life.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Ebree, no, I don''t think that Sarah Palin told Bristol, "Well, you know you have to marry him now, right?"
But I''m not saying that Bristol wasn''t under any pressure (more than the average teen) because of who her mom is.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:55:08 PM
Date: 3/12/2009 4:42:18 PM

I''m glad your mama didn''t listen either!

I''m glad that you and your parents, and Bristol, had a choice.

My SO''s mom was 18 when she had him. Glad she had a choice, too, and happy with the one she made.
2.gif
SO''s parents DID marry, and they are happily together to this very day. Everyone''s life dictates a different path, and I am happy that we all have the choice of which path and how to forge it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:52:31 PM

Date: 3/12/2009 4:37:15 PM
Author: LAJennifer

23.gif
Yes. They encouraged me to have an abortion and told me the stats were not in my favor. I''ll agree with them on that point. The stats were not in my favor. It just goes to show you what can happen if you don''t listen to the folks with the *can''t do* philosophy and do what your gut tells you is right. Ah well, it was 15 years ago...A lifetime ago really.
Wow Miranda, I am happy for you that you knew yourself better than anyone else did and have such a lovely son.

TGuy''s mom got preggo with his sis at 17. She was in foster care at the time and they wanted her to abort. She did not. Then they wanted her to give her up for adoption. She would not. Even then, they were able to not give her the baby until she legally turned 18, which meant for months she was only allowed to see her on weekends. She was not allowed to marry the father of her baby until she was 18, at which time they did.

She had TGuy when she was 20 and my MIL and FIL are still happily married today with 3 grandchildren!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 5:02:55 PM

I'm glad that you and your parents, and Bristol, had a choice.

My SO's mom was 18 when she had him. Glad she had a choice, too, and happy with the one she made.
2.gif
SO's parents DID marry, and they are happily together to this very day. Everyone's life dictates a different path, and I am happy that we all have the choice of which path and how to forge it.

Hear, hear!
36.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 5:02:05 PM
Ebree, no, I don''t think that Sarah Palin told Bristol, ''Well, you know you have to marry him now, right?''

Perhaps. Some people believe that is the only way, no matter what. I''m glad to know the Palins don''t feel this way (out of the spotlight, anyway).

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:26:41 PM
Author:vespergirl
So much for Republican family values ...
haha! Hilarious...

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock

I should have clarified - I think a preferable situation for teenagers (underage - it seems that you were an adult when you got pregnant) is to either to give the babies up for adoption or have abortions. I don''t think that one is preferable to the other - whatever works for the individual. I agree that some people can have children as children, without taxpayer help, and have everyone turn out OK, but that is a rare occurence.

I am so glad to hear that your family turned out well, and that is surely a testament to your character.

However, I think that it can be agreed that many teenage parents end up taking government assistance (I am totally against welfare) and end up in a cycle of generational poverty. Clearly that''s not your situation, and I commend you for it, but unfortunately, most teenagers with babies have grim futures, as do many of their children.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like Bristol is consistently making the choices she feels are best for her, which is all any of us can do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results