shape
carat
color
clarity

BrillianceScope variance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carbon

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I''ve been browsing for quite a while and have learnt a lot from everyone here... so much in fact, that I recently made a purchase and should be receiving the finished product very soon... then I''ll post my complete story for all who are interested.

In the meantime I have a question for the experts... are the BrillianceScope machines calibrated to some sort of standard? If so what variance or consistency in readings might I expect from a vendor''s BrillianceScope vs say an appraiser''s BrillianceScope on the same stone.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Carbon;

All BrillianceScope machines are calibrated to the same standard. The bar-graphs have a variability and tolerance
of +/- .2%

Readings for your diamond should fall within this tolerance level regardless on whose machine it is run.

Calibration procedures and standards are programmed into every machine. calibration has to be done on a
continuous and frequent level to maintain accurate
readings. If not, the machine will shut off by itself.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Barry:
----------------
All BrillianceScope machines are calibrated to the same standard. The bar-graphs have a variability and tolerance
of +/- .2%
----------------
This is new information. Where is it documented?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The process Barry has described has been in effect for a year now.

At that time, a new light laser alignment tool was developed for the B Scope and Gemex has aligned everyone's machine.

This resulted in the variances being much closer.

I am not sure if this was documented anywhere ( if so, probably on their site)but I know it worked very well, as I often to more than just one scan of a stone, and calibrate it far more often than required. Usually each day.

Rockdoc

barry

Shiny_Rock
Leonid;

I believe it may be on the Gemex FAQ.

In any event you can call Gemex at (262) 242-1111.

Ask for Randy or Kurt.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

carbon

Rough_Rock
Ok... thanks for all the replies so far... does the positioning of the stone in the individual machines factor in at all?

Thanks

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Carbon:
----------------
Ok... thanks for all the replies so far... does the positioning of the stone in the individual machines factor in at all?
----------------
Stone should be centered before measurements take place.

Barry:
----------------
I believe it may be on the Gemex FAQ.
----------------
:
Is the BrillianceScope Repeatable?

The BrillianceScope is repeatable within a very useful range. This range is the width of the bars on the scales.
Remember, the BrillianceScope is a comparative tool to predict the "Light Performance™" of a diamond in "Real World" Conditions. The eye can not pick up the tiny percentage of variation.

So it is "the width of the bars on the scales". I measured the width of the bars. It is 10% of the scale length.

Simply put... The BrillianceScope is being used by one of the world's most widely recognized Crystal/Optics companies. Their optical physicists started using the instrument after months of internal testing. This company does not want GemEx to divulge their name or research. Most importantly, GemEx is willing to let any independent "scientific" organization test the BrillianceScope with one understandably common requirement... The method for achieving any results be published as well as the results.
I recall StevL posted that GIA and AGS tested as well but returned the machines.

Garry asked to get BS machine for independent testing but his request was denied.

Four of the world's largest diamond manufacturers are using the instrument in their research departments and are using it in their production departments. These large corporate entities would not risk millions of dollars and their reputations on technology that they had not tested extensively to determine the accuracy and repeatability.
Diamonds can be cut to achieve highest scores on Brilliancescope. There is no big sicret in it. On the other hand other beautiful stones score less. Does it mean they are less beautiful?

I just have problems when any instrument is used as a marketing tool.[/u][/u]

barry

Shiny_Rock
Leonid;

As Rockdoc and I have previously indicated,
the laser alignment of the BScope to decrease variability
within the bar-graph depiction to +/-2% was done about a year ago. You can corroborate this with Randy Wagner
and Kurt Schockert of Gemex (262) 242-1111.
I said I "believed" that this information was on their FAQ,
but apparently their FAQ has not been incorporated
to state this development. A simple phone call to their office would provide anyone with this information.

The BScope is currently but one viable tool in assisting the consumer in the evaluation of a diamonds performance.
It is now part of an arsenal of devices
(Sarin, MegaScope, IdealScope/FireScope, HCA,
etc.)that consumers should use in toto to arrive
at their purchasing decision.
Consumers should never rely on any one instrument or measuring device, but rather use as many as possible
to make their decision.

All of these instruments and tools are being very aggressively "marketed" by their manufacturers and dealers.
Does your "problem" also extend to them as well?
All have been/are criticised at one time or another.
Shall consumers stop using them?
I don't think so.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
You can corroborate this with Randy Wagner and Kurt Schockert of Gemex (262) 242-1111.
----------------
Barry,

Accuracy of any measurement equipment should not depend on somebody's words or phone call but should be documented and verified by qualified independent party.

Why GemEx wouldn't submit the machine to the National Institute of Standards and Technology? They would not be biased and would reveal all the data good or bad. http://www.nist.gov

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results