shape
carat
color
clarity

Brilliance Scope Light View #2 - Yellow & Blue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

plippens

Rough_Rock
I have a question about reading the Brilliance Scope Results. I have links to two diamonds on gog website that are both H&A, one is a H VS1 and the other is a D SI1. Both have medium blue flourescense. My question is in Light view #2, the H diamond shows a blueish color and the D diamond shows more of a yellow color. If both are medium blue flourescence then why is one blue and one yellow? Aren''t the diamonds that give off the blue color considered better? Here are the links:

H VS1 link:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_11ct_h_vs1_h%26a.htm

D SI1 link:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_01ct_d_si1_h%26a.htm

Which diamond would you buy. I''m leaning towards the H, but not sure about getting one with the flourescense.

Your thoughts greatly appreaciated.

Paul
26.gif

plippens

Rough_Rock
here is a few pics off the website:

plippens

Rough_Rock
p

pics.GIF

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bscope pics has... nothing to do with anything at all. Those colors are produces by dispersion - and every diamonds produces all colors: blue, yellow, orange, red, green... This optical effect is called "fire".

In theory, out of 1000 phoos of one diamond from very slightely varied positions, you will probably get allot of blue, and orange/yellow flas, some red and some green. This does not mean that the diamond changes color or anything! Given that you will virtually never see the diamond sitting completely still (as a camera does taking one image in a split second), none of these colors will appear dominant: "fire" means a buch of tiny fireworks or every color
1.gif

I would not worry about the medium fluorescence. You will find lots of posts around here saying when and why a bit of fluorescence is a good thing. If anything, it should have brought the price of the D color a bit down in this case.

I know it is rather hard to choose between these idea cut diamonds made to resemble each other as much as humanly possible. GOG makes the selection even tighter to begin with. So it is a hard call. But the Bscope image is not going to help with this choice
34.gif

Hope this makes sense. Just my 0.2, of course.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
om says that medium fluorescence makes diamonds look whiter in most lighting conditions - so your H would definitely look colorless. If medium fluo is actually strong enough to show on the colorless body of the D diamond - no idea. Strong fluorescence will likely show an ever so slight blue tint in strong sunlight. "Medium" is probably not strong enough for even that.

I was just trying to make the point that, well, even if there is some distance between D and H, in this case it may be shorter than you think
2.gif

But how about the SI1 grade ? there are allot of "comments" on the GIA cert and than, one of the inclusions seems to reflect around the stone (see below). I do believe Jonathan saying that this is an "eye clean" SI, but this also depends on your expectations about "eye clean" that may not be the same as mine or Jonathan''s ...

Any thoughts ?

refDSI.jpg

plippens

Rough_Rock
Valeria,

Thanks for you insight, it helps a bunch. I wasn''t sure about how to interpert the color differences in the BS results but now I understand what you mean by reflecting the rainbow of colors and the pic is just a snapshot so any color could actually show up at different moments in time.

I have not talked to Jonathan, but I have emailed back and forth with Timothy. He did state that the stone was totally eye clean. I was leaning towards the H stone personally, but Timothy mentioned that the D was a very nice stone. I had asked him for some stones that would really sparkle. He gave me a bunch to look at with the D being one of them.

I like the fact that the H is a VS1 over the D SI1, but I''m going to mount this in platinum so I didn''t want to go to low on color since I was told that platinum requires a whiter stone and that yellower stones are more for gold settings. From my reading on PS I feel way more comfortable going with an H color. Plus I did check out my aunts round diamond which was an H and had a hard time noticing anything resembling yellow tint.

One thing I noticed and learned from reading Jonathans posts from a ways back, is on the Light view #2, this view shows the fire of the arrows, and the D diamond has arrows at say, one and seven not as crisp as the rest. The H diamond really seems to sparkle at each arrow all the way around.

Thanks again for your help.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2004 1
6.gif
6.gif
8 AM
Author: plippens

One thing I noticed and learned from reading Jonathans posts from a ways back, is on the Light view #2, this view shows the fire of the arrows...

I would have voted for the H as well, although these pictures show allot more detail than diamonds on hand in every regard - including clarity. I would be in serious trouble having to choose between these as well...

I could not know which is the post you are referring to. But the six images from the Bscope are not "classifieds" - there is no certain designations for what each shot is meant to show. Only #6 comes from different lighting than the rest. The first five are just mean to show the diamond in the most different views possible, IMO. There is a mention of this on the tutorial at GOG and if you look at bunch of Bscope reports you may notice that at least the "al lit up" image carries different numbers and so forth.

Since H is "white" to me (same impression as you describe), it is a choice of clarity between these two. Cut is really tops in both - no difference I can possibly tell as far as I understand these things.

You might want to ask for a picture side by side of these two... There are some like this made upon customer request and posted around here. I seriously doubt any color or clarity difference wil show, but these two are not the same size either, and there still is a step between the look of the diamonds and all these charts, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results