shape
carat
color
clarity

brilliance.com setting dispute - need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

linc

Rough_Rock
Several of you were very helpful when we chose our diamond and it is a beauty! Purchased from Angara via Pricescope. Great service.

We have had a rough time with the setting though and I would appreciate feedback and suggestions from any who have time or interest.

We purchased a setting from Brillliance.com, white gold .48cw princess cut channel set for $1050 and sent our stone for them to set. Received ring and it had not been sized correctly. They credited us an amount for local sizing. The jeweler sized. During appraisal by same jeweler he pointed out a crack in side and numerous other flaws he attribtued to ''poor workmanship'', missing azures, uneven channels with gold covering stones, large areas of porosity and more. We contacted Brilliance to return.

I removed my center stone and returned setting with two separate appraisals indicating all the problems with the ring. Brilliance is blaming the jeweler for all damage to ring. They will not refund our purchase.They will reset the princess cuts in similar setting for $395.00, keep the entire setting and credit us $430.00 or just send the ring back.

Should I take the ring and just have the diamonds reset at a local jeweler? Or take the credit and start fresh? The 10 princess cuts are ''supossedly'' F/VS2.
We have been trying to resolve this for 2 weeks and it seems we are just going to loose $1,000.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell them to give you the EXACT same setting and have then redo everything at their costs. THEN SEND IT TO AN APPRAISER!!!!!! If that''s an option of course. I''m sorry this happened to you.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock

I''m sorry your going through this - I have had a setting nightmare too, and I can feel your pain here. :)

The centre stone is undamaged, which is great. As the previous poster suggested, I would also return the ring and request it be set in a brand new setting (the correct size!) and then have it independently appraised.

Get THEM to set the stone - that way any damage is down to them.

I would swallow the $395 extra to do this - but write a letter and let them know that you will be having an independent appraisal of the finished ring - including the mount, and if any flaws/damage are found, you will be returning it for a full refund (of your original $1050).

It sucks that this is going to cost you, but quite honestly I can''t see a way round it as there''s no way to prove why the ring was damaged.

At least hopefully they''ll give you a perfect mount this time.. fingers crossed.

x x x

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They’ve got the ring, they’ve got the money, you’ve got your diamond, right?

Call your credit card company and be done with it.

As all the regulars know, I tend to be more sympathetic to jewelers than most of the advisers here but it sounds like you did nothing wrong. THEY made it the wrong size and THEY authorized using a local jeweler to repair THEIR mistake. You simply did as instructed. Even if the jeweler somehow did it wrong and caused additional damage, which is unlikely given your description of the problems, THEY are responsible.

That’s why it common for the long distance jewelers to have rework jobs sent back to them even for such simple tasks as dealing with scratches in the polish or tightening loose stones. If they want to take it up with the jeweler and try to get some restitution that’s their choice. In either case, it’s not your problem.

Get your money back and shop somewhere else. Next time, get it inspected and appraised BEFORE anyone else does any work to it.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results