shape
carat
color
clarity

Brilliance and fire of the Leo for less?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lulu857

Rough_Rock
Looking for advice. Currently I am looking at a 1.5 carat round Leo diamond from Kay jewelers. I love it''s fire and brilliance, but not so much the price. Any suggestions on where I can find a diamond of equal or greater brilliance at a lower price?

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
What kind of price range are you looking for? 1.5ct goes from like 7k to 20k.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if you want a LEO diamond i would try secondhand. kays quality is very low, i would switch over to jared''s who carries a higher lne of leo stones.

leo stones are purdy. try ebay as well.

Margarw

Rough_Rock
A long time ago (when the LEO first came out), long before I even knew this forum existed, we purchased a Leo three stone. Center stone was a 1.2 carat, with two .6 side stones (2.2 cttw) The whole time I had it, the center stone always seemed "smalll" to me. Come to find out, long after the fact, I learned that it faced up like a .80 because it was so heavy. I thought that because of the "LEO" cut, it''d be a good stone, but really, the LEO cut was just about the extra facets. Although the stone was pretty, we paid way too much for it.

With the Leo, you get a certificate, but the certificate does not have the standard things you''d find on a GIA cert, depth, pavillion angles, etc. (although I can honest say even if it did, at that time it''d all have been greek to me anyways)

Recently, after getting educated by this forum, and thanks to all the helpful people on this site, I ordered a 1.5 round, j - VS2 through Mondera (their premium cut) , and paid lway ess than we did for the LEO ring. I am much happier with my new stone - it is equally if not more beautiful than the LEO.

I''m not trying to talk you out of the LEO, just be sure this is what you want. The thing about the LEO or other B&M stores, is that you can get "instant gratification" - you walk in, see it under all that pretty lighting, and walk out with it the same day. If you spend just a little more time, you can get a better quality stone from one of the PS vendors - at less price - the downside is the "instant gratificaiton" factor is not there.

I should also let you know I had my LEO appraised twice, (couple of years apart) by two difrerent appraisers. The appriased value they assigned it quite a bit less than I paid for it. I recently had the ring re-appraised with the new 1.5 center (and the two .6 leo sides) and this time it appraised much better than I had hoped.

Just my thoughts, and personal experience....whatever you decide - I hope you wind up with a stone that you just love!

lulu857

Rough_Rock
Margarw, thanks for your reply. The fire and brilliance is what I love about the Leo. (I think I have my terms right here???) I like the way it sparkles and reflects so many colors. Was this why you originally chose the Leo as well? What was your personal reason for choosing the Leo and what did you prefer about the diamond you later purchased? Does it sparkle the way the Leo does?

lulu857

Rough_Rock
Unearthed, I was willing to pay $13,000 for a 1.5 carat Leo at Kay Jewelers.

Margarw

Rough_Rock
Let me be honest, the real reason we got the LEO to begin with was ignorance....

Yes, it was beautiful and sparkly, and my husband and i just happened into a Kay Jewlers, we had just gotten engaged, but decided that we would pick my ring out together. His only caveat, was that he wanted a three-stone for me, and that he wanted something "nice." Since we were both not familiar with the intracies (sp?) of diamond selection, and not realizing that a mall store was probably not the best place to start, the sales lady preyed on us like a buzzard to carion.

My husband made it clear that he wanted something very nice, so she went straight to the LEO''s telling us how great they are, etc., etc.. They are very sparkly, and we liked that. What we didn''t realize, was that we were paying way too much money, for the LEO name. The ring came with a LEO cert., but they do not come with a GIA certificate. As a result, I didn''t realize at the time, that the center stone, although sparkly, was poorly cut, and facing up like a .85. Who wants to spend extra $$$$ for a trademark name, and then have a stone that looks small.

My recent 1.5 carat center stone purchase was made recently, after we spent hours and hours lurking on here. We went with a VS, and paid attention to cut. My new center makes me much happier than my LEO did, although I did have the LEO center stone reset into a mount that I already had.

I''m not trying to talk you out of the LEO, my only suggestion is do your homework first. If you do purchase it, take it to a qualified appraiser, before you have it sized, etc. Since it doesn''t come with GIA cert., have a professional look at it, and give you an idea if your getting what you paid for (ie 1.5 carat that faces up like a 1.5 carat not a 1.0 carat!)

Good luck!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I *guarantee* this 1.52 G SI-1 from whiteflash will hold its own, if not out sparkle that leo diamond. The ACA's are amazing... $12,610 less 5% PS discount= $11,980

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results