shape
carat
color
clarity

Brilliance and Fire of Tapered Baguette Sidestones

drfunky0811

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I am new to the community- very excited! I have received some good insight from my first thread regarding an engagement ring I am planning on purchasing soon. Had a follow-up question that seemed like it deserved its own thread.

Currently, I have a BIC paired with a ring containing two tapered baguettes (one on each side). While obviously it is a matter of opinion whether a BIC, TIC, or FIC goes best with a band like this, I wanted to get the community's input-

Would you describe baguettes as "brilliant" or "fiery"? In my observation, it seems like they mostly serve to compliment the center stone and arent particularly brilliant OR fiery but... if the consensus is they lean heavily towards one or the other it would probably make me consider my center stone a bit more (for example, pairing a BIC with the baguettes if they arent particularly fiery, or pairing an FIC with them if they are). Maybe a TIC is really the best way to go?

Thanks!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I would describe baguettes as quiet.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
drfunky0811|1455854838|3992810 said:
Would you describe baguettes as "brilliant" or "fiery"? In my observation, it seems like they mostly serve to compliment the center stone and arent particularly brilliant OR fiery

Thanks!

Hey - because they're a step cut, they won't be fiery - they'll reflect light well and produce a bit of brilliance, but their main job is really to enhance/frame the centre stone. IMO, for the size you'll likely be using (guesstimate 2x.15s for a tdw of 0.30cts...ish), changing your centre stone from a 'BIC' to a 'TIC' won't matter at all or impact the overall look of the 3 together.
Hope this helps

drfunky0811

Rough_Rock
Yes this is what I thought as well. Very much appreciated.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
ADN said:
Would you describe baguettes as "brilliant" or "fiery"? In my observation, it seems like they mostly serve to compliment the center stone and arent particularly brilliant OR fiery

Thanks!

Hey - because they're a step cut, they won't be fiery - they'll reflect light well and produce a bit of brilliance, but their main job is really to enhance/frame the centre stone. IMO, for the size you'll likely be using (guesstimate 2x.15s for a tdw of 0.30cts...ish), changing your centre stone from a 'BIC' to a 'TIC' won't matter at all or impact the overall look of the 3 together.
Hope this helps
Except that they have a very legible table glare that many dealers pass off as brilliance lol *bangs head on wall*

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancygems|1455856151|3992813 said:
I would describe baguettes as quiet.

Ditto...I have them on a pear ring (see avatar). Granted they are small (maybe 10 ptrs), they do nothing for me. I'm currently
having my pear reset and there will be no baguettes on the new setting. I think unless they are rather large, they just dont
do much (basically my* inference because I've never seen large ones in person).

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I have 0.42 cts of tapered baguettes flanking my centre stone. They gleam and flash, they do not sparkle. I like them because they don't compete with the centre, just compliment. They add an extra bit of life and light in an understated, elegant way. I would not consider their performance at all when choosing the centre.

queradas

Rough_Rock
ADN|1455856506|3992815 said:

Thanks!

Hey - because they're a step cut, they won't be fiery

WRONG! Step Cuts on average have larger virtual facets more capable of displaying fire than brilliant cuts. However Baguettes don't generally produce much fire or brilliance because they are cut quite shallow.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
gr8leo87|1456150330|3993946 said:
ADN said:

Thanks!

Hope this helps
Except that they have a very legible table glare that many dealers pass off as brilliance lol *bangs head on wall*

**Hey gr8leo87 - What exactly do you think I meant by 'reflecting light well'?... :wall:

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
queradas|1456198480|3994262 said:

Thanks!

WRONG! Step Cuts on average have larger virtual facets more capable of displaying fire than brilliant cuts. However Baguettes don't generally produce much fire or brilliance because they are cut quite shallow.

**Hey queradas - I'd be interested in knowing where you're getting your info from about step cuts producing more fire than brilliant cuts? I'm not opposed to learning new something everyday ;-)
Regardless...to the OP - - the end result is the same - baguettes won't produce much of either.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
ADN said:
gr8leo87|1456150330|3993946 said:
ADN said:

Thanks!

Hope this helps

**Hey gr8leo87 - What exactly do you think I meant by 'reflecting light well'?... :wall:
Oh I thought reflecting light back as in conventional terms. Light goes in bounces of the pavillion and comes out back to the viewer. As opposed to light bouncing off the surface.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
ADN said:
queradas|1456198480|3994262 said:

Thanks!

**Hey queradas - I'd be interested in knowing where you're getting your info from about step cuts producing more fire than brilliant cuts? I'm not opposed to learning new something everyday ;-)
Regardless...to the OP - - the end result is the same - baguettes won't produce much of either.
I second this question.

It may produce bigger flashes of colored light return under certain lighting conditions but I haven't found 'on average' step cuts to produce more fire compared to round. Please do enlighten.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry - BIC, TIC, and FIC stand for...? Thanks in advance!

queradas

Rough_Rock
gr8leo87|1456237399|3994388 said:
queradas said:

I will be brief in this thread as it is a bit off topic, perhaps one or both of you could start a thread on fire in step cuts and Karl K or other step cut enthusiasts might get more involved.

But first I suggest reading this

http://www.agslab.com/spie/spie_lo_res.pdf

Section 5.4 on Gem Fire

I would be happy to answer questions/participate in a dedicated thread on the topic.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
The topic is brilliance and fire in baguettes (which is a step cut) I don't think it's off topic at all. I hope Karl_K would see this and participate here.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
I have been through that study before.. But an intercept

"The study presented in this paper has been done in a com-
puter using virtual gemstones that are perfect in their pro-
portions and symmetry. Real gems are not perfect in their
geometry and suffer from several problems such as facet"

Also there's paper, there's internet and there's real life. I have been fortunate enough to have inspected a lot of diamonds to know 'on average' what has been more fiery through all these years.

Like I said step cuts can be under certain lighting conditions and when cut in certain styles to achieve perfection of certain angles to optimize colored light return.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
queradas|1456246024|3994453 said:
gr8leo87|1456237399|3994388 said:
queradas said:

I will be brief in this thread as it is a bit off topic, perhaps one or both of you could start a thread on fire in step cuts and Karl K or other step cut enthusiasts might get more involved.

But first I suggest reading this

http://www.agslab.com/spie/spie_lo_res.pdf

Section 5.4 on Gem Fire

I would be happy to answer questions/participate in a dedicated thread on the topic.

Thanks mate - I'm aware of how fire occurs due to light refraction & dispersion ;-) - - And yes, there is no question that step cuts will display some fire...they are diamonds after all :) - - What I'm looking for, is for you to back up your claim that step cuts will display on average more fire overall than brilliant cuts -- I'm not finding anything in this report to substantiate your claim. If you find something to back it up, please share.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results