shape
carat
color
clarity

Bright Pink Things Often Come in Small Packages

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
A few months ago the wonderful Selkie invited me to join her at the West Coast Gem, Mineral & Fossil Show. I told her that I was looking for a bright pink spinel, cushion, about 1ct, but that I would have been shocked to find one there since I hadn't had too much luck looking online. Imagine my shock when I found this little beauty. It was smaller than I wanted, but the color is amazing. I purchased it from a local-ish gem and mineral dealer, John Garsow.

5.5mm square, .71ct

ericarpink6.jpg

It is tiny, but the color sure packs a punch. This is a great representation of what it looks like in person.

ericarpink5.jpg

Me likey.

Go back to posting pics now. You have my permission.

Here it is hanging out with an Arizona Peridot, which I also picked up from the same gem dealer.

Warning: gem shopping with Selkie can be dangerous for the health of your wallet!

ericarpink4.jpg

I love it! Bit you knew that! Where're the pics of it set??

Fast forward a month or two. On a lovely Sunday afternoon Selkie and I set off to meet up with Athenaworth at the International Gem and Jewelry Show in Santa Monica. I went in looking for a setting for the peridot, since I was dead set on getting a legacy inspired setting for the spinel. But instead, I found the perfect setting for the spinel.

Much to my embarrassment, I forget who I purchased the setting from. There are baguettes on either side, then four small rounds. The stone didn't darken at all when set, I just found poor lighting today to take the photos.

ericarpink2.jpg

Very pretty!

I really just love the setting. It is delicate, which sets the stone off perfectly. Anything bigger would have overwhelmed it.

ericarpink3.jpg

Last one. I've been wearing it a bunch with my wedding ring. I love the two together.

ericarpink1.jpg

Next up to set is the peridot. Right now I'm liking this setting, from a local jeweler. The quality is great and the price is even better.

ericargreenpossible.jpg

When are you getting it set again?

NIce rings. The spinel color is beautiful and the peridot looks so classic in that setting.

Your spinel ring is pretty and I love the setting for your peridot. Not to mention the stone which seems to have no yellow in it at all!

Ugh! I cannot wait for you to set that peridot! I seriously think I'm more excited than you (if that's possible)

Thanks all!!! The peridot should be set in the next six weeks or so. I love that stone, too. And agree about the color - there is no yellow at all! I had someone try and talk me into setting it in yellow gold so I dropped it into a yg setting and yucky!!! Selkie says it looks like Jolly Rancher Green, which I think is a great description. The picture in the setting is dark due to poor lighting, but that sucker is bright.

The spinel is bright bright bright too. I have a purple spinel (which I posted here maybe two years ago?) which is dark. When I put the two of them side by side the pink seems to absolutely glow. I could not be happier with it.

Would it be appropriate to ask you the name of the jeweler? I wanted something more or less similar for my new spinel ring,

Erica, that is just perfection! Congrats on such a *lovely* piece!

crasru|1312095077|2980973 said:
Would it be appropriate to ask you the name of the jeweler? I wanted something more or less similar for my new spinel ring,

I don't mind in the slightest, but right now I don't remember their name!!! They are located in a local jewelry mart (a bunch of vendors in the same storefront). I'll nab the name next time I go by there.

Beautiful.

Thanks everyone! I've been missing my ring for the past few weeks (I'm on crutches and can't wear any rings! :errrr: ) and can't wait to get back to wearing it.

Beautiful gems!!!! :love:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics