shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridal Trivia Game

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

In a fit of insomnia last night I was struck by how many useless bits of bridal information are floating around in my brain… never to be used again. LOL.

SO I thought we’d play a game. What useless bits do you have floating about.

RULES:
Each person answers the question in the post directly above them.
The person answering the question then posts another question for the next poster.
If a poster answers incorrectly, then someone corrects them.

Here’s mine:

When addressing felicitations to a recently engaged couple to whom do you say “best wishes”, and to whom do you say “congratulations.” And why is there a difference?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
best wishes are for the bride.

congratulations are for the groom.

Congrats to the groom cause she said yes and best wishes to the bride cause she said yes...lol.

I'm sure there is a better answer.

ETA...I forgot to add a question. Be right back.

The old bridesmaid curse is as follows: ___ a bridesmaid, never a bride is an old charm that can be broken by being a bridesmaid ____ times.

Fill in the blanks....both are numbers.

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
Answer:
Evidently, well-wishers say, “Congratulations” to the man. He has gained a new wife, a beautiful woman, inside and out, and he is all the better for it.

And for the soon-to-be bride?

“Best wishes.”

Meaning, “We wish you the best with this tramp of a man and hope you have a happy life on your new gamble.”

Well, it’s not quite that ... but it is wishing her happiness in her life with him.

Question:
Is is distasteful for someone to receive a bridal shower invite, before receiving the actual wedding invite?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
MAN! You ladies have some HARD questions!!!

My blind stabs:

EM1: 6 times a bridesmaid, never a bride is an old charm that can be broken by being a bridesmaid 7 times
Rationale: 6 is the "evil" number and 7 is the "perfect" number.

Dreaming: No it is not distasteful to receive the shower invite before the wedding invite because the shower is held before the wedding. HOWEVER you cannot receive a shower invite and NOT receive a wedding invite.

Question:
What object was the "Something Blue" referencing in the "Something Old, Something New" rhyme?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 2:30:07 PM
Author: lliang_chi
MAN! You ladies have some HARD questions!!!

My blind stabs:

EM1: 6 times a bridesmaid, never a bride is an old charm that can be broken by being a bridesmaid 7 times
Rationale: 6 is the ''evil'' number and 7 is the ''perfect'' number.

Dreaming: No it is not distasteful to receive the shower invite before the wedding invite because the shower is held before the wedding. HOWEVER you cannot receive a shower invite and NOT receive a wedding invite.

Question:
What object was the ''Something Blue'' referencing in the ''Something Old, Something New'' rhyme?
good guess. Right on the 7 times....wrong on the 6.....keep guessing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lliang:

Something old - continuity with the bride's family and the past
Something new - optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead
Something borrowed - an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride
Something blue - Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, "Marry in blue, lover be true." In Ancient Israel, brides (and sometimes grooms) wore blue ribbons on the borders of their fringed robes in order to denote their modesty and fidelity...ideals of love which continue to be associated with that color. Blue is also the color which is representative the purity and innocence of the Virgin Mary and may, at one time, have been associated with the Moon, believed to be the protector of women. Today, the "something blue" is often the bride's garter.

EMI:

It's THREE TIMES (TRICE) a BM never a bride.

Question:

How did the tradition of carrying a bouquet of flowers develop in western culture? Or rather WHY did it develop.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. This is too hard for me. I''m not up on the random wedding trivia...

meresal

Ideal_Rock
EM1: It''s always a birdesmaid, never a birde.

Question: True or False

In the South it is considered bad luck for the Bride to Be, to stand at the front of the church for her own Rehearsal?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Mersal: TRUE! During the rehearsal the bride has a "proxy", usually MOH, to fill in her place in front of the alter.
EM1: 4 times a bridesmaid?

Question
What stone was popular center stone for engagement rings before DeBeers took over the world?

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Gyspy - Bouquets were carried by women to mask the smell of their own body oudour so they would have a more pleasant aroma around them when they got married. This was all before baths were a regular feature of life of course! And before anti perspirant!

Where (which age in history) did wedding rings derive from?

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 2:35:56 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Ugh. This is too hard for me. I''m not up on the random wedding trivia...
LOL..............ditto!

i feel kind of dumb now but im laughing -
19.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 2:48:42 PM
Author: lliang_chi

Question

What stone was popular center stone for engagement rings before DeBeers took over the world?

Aquamarine.

And I'm stealing MM's question (MM you got the bouquet question right!):
Where (which age in history) did wedding rings derive from?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy was right: Thrice a bridesmaid, never a bride is an old charm that can be broken by being a bridesmaid seven times.

This thread is hard.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 3:13:58 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
Gypsy was right: Thrice a bridesmaid, never a bride is an old charm that can be broken by being a bridesmaid seven times.

This thread is hard.
That makes absolutely NO sense at all to me...

The place that wedding rings derived from, is based on which webpage you read. I looked at three different ones, and they all said something different, but the only one that actually gave an "era", said Elizabethean. One webpage said that they began in Egyptian rivers, being made from reeds and such.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Im a stupid bride!
39.gif
40.gif
39.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay come on ladies. No one is stupid. Some of just have REALLY FREAKING opinionated people in their lives who insist on telling them every little thing they think we need to know.

So here's the next question:

What (rude) saying 'governs' how the grooms mother should comport herself and what color to dress in?

My MIL was the one that told me this one, when she was asking me about what I wanted her to wear. LOL. I was like... REALLY?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 3:50:00 PM
Author: Gypsy
Okay come on ladies. No one is stupid. Some of just have REALLY FREAKING opinionated people in their lives who insist on telling them every little thing they think we need to know.

So here's the next question:

What (rude) saying 'governs' how the grooms mother should comport herself and what color to dress in?
Show up, Shut up, and Wear Beige!!
2.gif

ETA: What old "to-be-married" tradition is said to have created the current "Reception" craze?
(This may not be worded too well but... You used to have to do this to "fanalize" the marriage)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 3:56:19 PM
Author: meresal

So here''s the next question:

What (rude) saying ''governs'' how the grooms mother should comport herself and what color to dress in?

2.gif

ETA: What old ''to-be-married'' tradition is said to have created the current ''Reception'' craze?

Show off!!

(
3.gif
4.gif
5.gif
12.gif
11.gif
)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 3:58:59 PM
Author: Bia

2.gif

ETA: What old 'to-be-married' tradition is said to have created the current 'Reception' craze?

Show off!!

(
3.gif
4.gif
5.gif
12.gif
11.gif
)
(In Roman Empire) Marriages weren't finalized until the Bride and Groom had Shared a Meal, which is said to have led to the current day "Reception".

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock

What (rude) saying ''governs'' how the grooms mother should comport herself and what color to dress in?
2.gif

ETA: What old ''to-be-married'' tradition is said to have created the current ''Reception'' craze?
(This may not be worded too well but... You used to have to do this to ''fanalize'' the marriage)
I would have to guess that the answer to Meresal''s question has to do with consummating the marriage??

New question: Why does the bride stand to the groom''s left?

BTW, my pastor told me the reasoning behind a lot of wedding "traditions" during the ceremony and most of them originated centuries ago and had to do with sex. Awkward!!
3.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 4:13:56 PM
Author: lovesparklies

2.gif

(This may not be worded too well but... You used to have to do this to ''fanalize'' the marriage)
I would have to guess that the answer to Meresal''s question has to do with consummating the marriage??

New question: Why does the bride stand to the groom''s left?

BTW, my pastor told me the reasoning behind a lot of wedding ''traditions'' during the ceremony and most of them originated centuries ago and had to do with sex. Awkward!!
3.gif
Not sure... and what a weird convo to have with your preacher. LOL. How exactly did that start??
40.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard that the bride had to stand to the left so that the groom had his right hand free to fight off others. Not sure if it''s true or not though
33.gif

mmm can''t think of any questions-any takers want to ask one on my behalf?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What two animals are associated with bachelor and bachelorette parties?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Bachelor: Stag <-- Gypsy, why are they called Stag parties
Bachelorette: Hen

I'll come back with a question unless someone beats me to it:

Okay this can be considered a freebie:
Who is the Indian/Hindu "God of Marriage" and what is his symbol?

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
Bee*, you''re right about the bride standing on the left. At least that''s what I heard, too.
2.gif

Meresal, the convo came up because we were going over the ceremony and how things should go and where people should stand and all that, and my pastor said that none of it is really ordained by God or anything, it''s all just based on traditions from centuries ago, and centuries ago you mainly got married to form alliances and have children, i.e., have sex. He was telling me all that so that if I wanted to do a certain part of the ceremony in a different way than "usual" that I wasn''t really breaking any rules. He''s a pretty progressive guy but c''mon! But I guess if you''re Catholic you have to discuss your own sex life in your pre-cana (sp?) classes so at least I didn''t have to talk about myself!
32.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bachelor parties seemed to have originated in Sparta but as for why they are referred to as "stag" parties... I''m not sure exactly. I''ve heard different reasons for the stag thing. One... it''s an adult male tradition, and something about stags (the animals) being agressive and rowdy and amourous. There is also "The Horned God" (Cernunnos) who in english and celtic myths was the god of all things sterotypically male. And he liked to party.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Wow this is quite educational, haha. I only knew the one about standing left vs. right.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results