shape
carat
color
clarity

Brian Gavin Trade Ins?

jpb2022

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I have a .855 BGD Blue from my first marriage. My (now) lovely husband proposed with a beautiful, vintage sapphire ring and we've been considering trading in my diamond ring for a new, larger one so I can have another option to wear when I'd like.

My question is - what is going on with BGD? There's practically no inventory and with the rules about what I can trade into, there's even less available. Specifically, we'd like to get an emerald cut and I was thrilled to see he now offers a specialty emerald cut - but there's nothing listed.

Is BGD essentially closing the sale of their special cut or even just natural diamonds?

Last edited:

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
I don't think he is doing anything other than keeping in stock what will 'move' (i.e. sell) best. There does seem to be fewer options with a lot of folks due to issues with availability. I suggest you just contact him/Leslie and explain what you hope to accomplish--there might be something soon to be available that might be of interest.

jpb2022

Rough_Rock
I don't think he is doing anything other than keeping in stock what will 'move' (i.e. sell) best. There does seem to be fewer options with a lot of folks due to issues with availability. I suggest you just contact him/Leslie and explain what you hope to accomplish--there might be something soon to be available that might be of interest.

I was considering that they're only stocking what will sell. Its just so surprisingly thin to me compared to when I got the diamond 10 years ago and we're looking at do we keep it and reset it to a necklace then get a lab grown? They have a nice stock of lab grown...

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It seems to me that the industry has been turned upside down with lab grown diamonds vs. original diamonds. Looks like the supply of these lab grown pieces has increased in the marketplace placing downwards pressure on price. I am not sure that BGD and others like it, but I guess just a pivot towards reality. I don’t have any insight on this but their business model did not figure in lower margins, thus BGD is carrying what they can sell rather than hold in inventory.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I last did a trade in a few years ago, but I knew what I wanted for my upgrade was not as easy to find, so I had a diamond that was cut to my according to what I wanted. That might be something you want to talk about with Lesley or Brian, if you know the size and specs you want for your upgrade.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Can’t speak to BGD in particular, but inventory of mined diamonds seems down at retailers across the board. My suspicion is that it’s the impact of lab growns.

Honestly, as one who loves mined stones I’m sad about it. Sure, you can still custom cut mined stones. But I do remember when inventories were more robust and it wasn’t that long ago.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t speak to BGD in particular, but inventory of mined diamonds seems down at retailers across the board. My suspicion is that it’s the impact of lab growns.

Honestly, as one who loves mined stones I’m sad about it. Sure, you can still custom cut mined stones. But I do remember when inventories were more robust and it wasn’t that long ago.

Ditto!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is sad. I understand not stocking what doesn’t sell, but then you can’t sell what you don’t stock. I feel like I have seen a lot of VVS+ diamonds; I wonder if this is indicative of inventory that is available from suppliers.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I was considering that they're only stocking what will sell. Its just so surprisingly thin to me compared to when I got the diamond 10 years ago and we're looking at do we keep it and reset it to a necklace then get a lab grown? They have a nice stock of lab grown...

I would only get a lab grown if that’s what you want. If you get one to settle, it may not have the emotional impact you want.

When we upgraded my ER last year we could not find what we wanted, so we had WF custom cut it. Highly recommend that route. However, you do have to know what you want and be ok with some uncertainty.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is sad. I understand not stocking what doesn’t sell, but then you can’t sell what you don’t stock. I feel like I have seen a lot of VVS+ diamonds; I wonder if this is indicative of inventory that is available from suppliers.

I wonder if those (the VVS stones) are the ones that are not selling and the VS/SIs are thin because they are selling. If you
do a diamond search through PS most of the VVS stones have been in stock for a long time. I'm talking rounds and not
emerald cuts because those are a slightly different beast.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if those (the VVS stones) are the ones that are not selling and the VS/SIs are thin because they are selling. If you
do a diamond search through PS most of the VVS stones have been in stock for a long time. I'm talking rounds and not
emerald cuts because those are a slightly different beast.
Yes probably because few want to pay for VVS clarity. I have seen them get some new VVS diamonds - wonder why? - and then think maybe that is all there is to pick from at this point. Sad state of affairs!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Looks like the combination of output cutbacks and Russian sanctions has taken its toll on the availability of earth grown diamonds today.
I agree with the aforementioned comment: contact BG and see what is in the pipeline or if one can be custom cut.

Interesting observation. So many vendors advertised that they were not selling Russian diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results