shape
carat
color
clarity

Breast Implants linked to Suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes. This can''t be right, can it?

"The researchers discovered the suicide rate is 73 percent higher in participants with breast implants relative to the control group. The connection between breast implants and suicide was not tested and no direct link was found between the two.

However, Bisson said previous studies have characterized women who receive breast implants by a low self-esteem, lack of self-confidence and more frequent mental illnesses such as depression."

Thoughts?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It could make some sense, if someone was having the surgery for the wrong reasons and then things did not go according to plan...like having them to get a guy to notice you and then it does not work...but clearly, the woman would have to be depressed or capable of suicide regardless of having surgery. I am sure there are women who are lacking in confidence and self esteem who think this will be life changing and it is not, and they have a tough time coping with that. Really seems pretty sad to me.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondfan it said there was no DIRECT link to the two. so to me your example of the guy not noticing her because of the implants is not the statistic they are talking about kind of thing.

to me it sounds like 73% of female suicides were just found to have had breast implants in their life.

wonder if this will prompt parents to say NO to the teenage gals who want to get them or the young 20''s who want the parents to pay for them?!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I read the article right, there was a study on a group of women who had breast augmentation surgery ... then they compared the women in the group to the "average" woman.

One of their conclusions was that women who''d had breast augementation surgery were more PHYSICALLY healthy than the "average" woman. Partially due to needing to be generally healthy to undergo surgery ... and partially due to the women being in a certain socio-economic class in order to AFFORD the surgery.

The more startling conclusion was that the women in the group committed suicide at a rate 70+% higher than the "average" woman.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s not worded very clearly, but I don''t think it''s saying that 73% of women who commit suicide have breast implants. Now that would be something!

It was saying that women with breast implants were 73% more likely to commit suicide than those without. In other words, for every 100 women without implants who commit suicide, there are 173 with implants who commit suicide.

The study also found that women with breast implants have a 26% lower mortality rate. So for 100 women without implants who died of whatever cause, only 74 with implants died. Their guess is that women with implants had to be healthy and wealthy enough to have surgery and are therefore less likely to die of disease.

I''m not sure if the percentages work in both directions as I have used them, but you can get the general idea.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 10:36:25 PM
Author: Mara
diamondfan it said there was no DIRECT link to the two. so to me your example of the guy not noticing her because of the implants is not the statistic they are talking about kind of thing.

to me it sounds like 73% of female suicides were just found to have had breast implants in their life.

wonder if this will prompt parents to say NO to the teenage gals who want to get them or the young 20's who want the parents to pay for them?!
I would hope parents would say NO to paying for this procedure for their teenage children. Seems like an epidemic that is going on here, SBT. Breast implants at 18?? As a parent of an 18 year old daughter I would never let her do this. Good thing she has no interest.
5.gif
I also believe that Doctors need to be more proactive in weeding out patients that may have unrealistic expectations. If you're not feeling pretty on the inside a boob implant won't change your life, IMHO.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 10:36:25 PM

wonder if this will prompt parents to say NO to the teenage gals who want to get them or the young 20's who want the parents to pay for them?!

Mara, thank you for pointing that out. I may not have been clear since it is late and I am tired. I studied psychology and some things are relevant here, such as attribution theory and outcome expectations versus outcome realities.

The feeling of dissatisfaction that one experiences post surgery might not be manifested that directly nor might the connection be made between the external and the internal. However, a general sense of unhappiness or of being dissapointed in the outcome might be a contributing factor toward someone's general unhappiness in life. This information is often anecdotal in nature, and since some people are not as self aware or able to articulate some of these things, it might be interpreted differently. In the "cost-benefit" analysis and the view by patients of their satisfaction post operatively, patients who went into the surgery for themselves tend to be happier with their results overall. It is common for a physician to ask a patient what is motivating them to have an elective procedure and to not take someone on as a patient if the surgeon feels they are there for the wrong reason. A lot of statistical studies show a correlation between two things, not a causative connection, which is of course different, but the former sometimes catches someone's interest and yields further studies to determine if one does lead to the other in a statistically significant way.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS I know girl who get elective procedures (lipo, breast jobs) as 18th birthday gifts. Sad. A young girl in the area died having lipo at 19 a few years ago, of course there is always risks in surgery, but this was so awful. She was not overweight but hated her body and her parents paid for the procedure. I am sure they are regretting that choice.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Probably not a direct cause and effect, but more likely that women who already have low self-esteem and the emotional problems that go along with that might be more likely to get implants.

I have nothing against implants per se, (hey, I''m in my 30''s and have had a bunch of babies, so it has certainly crossed my mind!) but parents giving them to their 18-year-olds is way beyond ridiculous. Do they even think about the message they''re giving their daughter?!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 11:17:01 PM
Author: Christa
Probably not a direct cause and effect, but more likely that women who already have low self-esteem and the emotional problems that go along with that might be more likely to get implants.

I have nothing against implants per se, (hey, I''m in my 30''s and have had a bunch of babies, so it has certainly crossed my mind!) but parents giving them to their 18-year-olds is way beyond ridiculous. Do they even think about the message they''re giving their daughter?!

Christa, lol it has crossed mine too, three kids later and gravity is not my friend! I hate the thought of parents giving that to a kid, but kids find ways to get what they want too, as many parents know. What about the women who have sooo much work done they are not recognizable any longer? There was a woman in NY who wanted to look "like a lion". I saw photos of her before her many many procedures. She was stunning. Now, sadly she looks like a freak. Cannot even tell you how many surgeries she has had. I think the doctor finally realized she had emotional problems (no, really?) and I think she is not going to find a decent doctor to continue this quest (if she is still on it). Of course it is not hard to find an unscrupulous person to do it, but hopefully the cycle is over. I feel sad for any woman that is that distressed with her appearance. A little tightening or lifting is not that much of an issue, too chicken to ever do it myself but hey, more power to anyone who wants it and makes a rational and informed choice to do so. It is just sad to see young girls, some of whom are still maturing, do this to their bodies.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I think that a lot of times, (not always, of course) when a woman decides to ''improve'' her physical apprearance by way of artificial means, there is a lot more going on than just a want to have larger breasts or a smaller nose. Self-esteem issues and feelings of inadequacy are often the driving force behind these surgeries and a hope that life will be better or more complete afterward.

These women also may be healthier as mentioned in the article, because of higher socio-economic status and therefore more time and money to take care of their bodies so they will look good.

I think the suicide rates are higher in the study group simply because these women were behind the eight ball from the get go, in the mental health department. These women would be more likely than the control group to commit suicide, with or without implants, hence the skewed data.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
SPF 50 and a Push Up Bra.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Note that the duration of the study was from 1974 to 1989. I''m no expert on the types of breast prostheses used over the years but didn''t some from this era eventually get recalled for severe problems? I would imagine chronic pain due to ruptures or hardening of the implants might have an impact on mental health! (But would that be considered a direct cause?) Sounds like one of those things where you really have to read the study to draw any conclusions; not just the news summary.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I think the self-esteem thing is a big factor. If you dislike your body enough to get implants, maybe that can translate into not liking your life and looking for a way out.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This morning I remembered reading one time a similar "study" or summary about people with face tattoos having a super high suicide rate.

Something about our faces being the "front" we show the world and people who would DRAMATICALLY alter their "focal" feature ... causing people to stare & be often times be startled by them ... shows a pre-existing or self-inflicted "seperating" from the world around them.

And isolation is a major cause of depression & drastic behaviors.

Have no idea how that''s linked to this study but both seemed to be "altering" behaviors that send different messages. One says "Stay away from me, I''m weird" and one says "Hey, look at these, like me."

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m wondering how many botched implant surgeries may have led to suicide. I''ve read that a lot of implant surgeries were so badly done that the implants had to be removed and the patients were permanently disfigured. That could be a factor.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 12:08:41 AM
Author: divergrrl
SPF 50 and a Push Up Bra.
Haha, that''s my solution too. I''m very small chested, (like REALLY small) but a nice Vicki''s gel padded bra does the trick. Implants have crossed my mind, but they''re lifelong maintenance, since on "average" at least one will need replacing every 10 years or so...maybe when i''m 40 I''ll get ''em!

Anyways, back on topic, I know 2 girls who have had implants...one is super depressed, has been suicidal and has dangerously low self esteem (she used to sleep with at least 2 guys a week (was actually a personal goal of hers) just to have the attention of them telling her she''s "hot"). The other is a law student who is super level headed and has probably average self esteem and had saved enough money to get them. For the 2nd, I''m sure that they helped her feel better about herself b/c she was looking to fix one thing she saw as a physical flaw, but the 1st, I''m not so sure...

Most plastic surgeons supposedly will try to ascess the patients mind set before going into surgery, but I personally had a nose job, and I met with the dr for 2 consultations then went in. I mean, if I had really low self esteem, I could easily fake that I did not in those counseltations. I think the drs def refuse those who are blatantly just looking to fill some "void" or who will never be happy, but I''m sure it''s hard to tell.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, personally, if I looked like Pam Anderson, I''d be depressed too. Yuck.

I too think part of it may be the self esteem aspect.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I live in So.Cal, and so many women *seem* to have them. Several of my friends have gotten them recently, the most recent 2 are both 30''ish married with children, and both very unhappy with their breasts after pregnancy/nursing. So far they seem very happy, but they were confident self-assured women before....so maybe that makes the difference?

Oddly enough, while they were checking out augmentation, my mother had a breast reduction and loving it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally i see no appeal in breast implants, but then again i have always had a full chest so maybe i don''t get what it''s like to want larger ones. i wish mine were smaller! they are such a PITA, seriously. and then when you get older they are not as perky as originally and it''s all downhill. i already plan to get a lift if we have kids because after that, forget it! i keep hoping maybe they will shrink after i breast feed, i have heard some stories like that and i keep thinking OH IF ONLY. not like mine are humongo or anything but they are just always in the way! so i can''t even relate to people who want them bigger or whatever. that''s like self-inflicted torture. one of my best girlfriend has had them done and she has had to go back 2ce because even though she had some well-known surgeon do them, there were all these issues and they still aren''t *right*. $12k later. that''s a nice big diamond there!!

for me i think smaller chested gals have the best of both worlds. you can be smaller chested when the situation calls for it (aka tube tops and halters) where smaller does not ''disrupt the line'' of clothing...and if you want them bigger, wear a water bra or something and give yourself more of an impact. my old roommmate had smallish B''s but i thought they were great. she could make them look bigger or smaller depending what she did. plus they stay perky way longer! hehe.

i do think much of it has to do with loving yourself the way you are. we all ''if only'' about an aspect of our body, but i don''t think i could actually take any sort of action to unnaturally fix something SOLELY for appereance''s sake. i mean if i had a 6th toe, sure i''d have it removed. but something just because? probably not.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 12:40:37 PM
Author: tawn
Several of my friends have gotten them recently, the most recent 2 are both 30''ish married with children, and both very unhappy with their breasts after pregnancy/nursing. So far they seem very happy, but they were confident self-assured women before....so maybe that makes the difference?

Somehow I think the instinct or desire to "get back" what you "had" is a wee bit different than especially the insecure teenages trying to look like magazine models & stars ... whose bodies haven''t even finished DEVELOPING yet ... and are by nature of their age/maturity: at the single most self-concious stage of their lives.

I''m glad your friends who''ve opted for the proceedure after nursing are happy with the results. One of my sisters has mentioned the possibility after she gets done with the childbirthing years. I do kinda think at that point it''s more like "maintaining" your figure or working out or a widdle Botox or something.

Though - c''mon .. some naturally beautiful ladies (I''m talking to you MEG RYAN) can take "maintaining"a little too far .
20.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meg Ryan used to be sooo darn cute and now she looks awful. Those lips are just too darn big. Same thing with Melanie Griffith.
As for me I am pretty flat chested. I am happy with the way I am. I can always wear a padded bra if I want. I have a friend that had the reduction surgery and she's thrilled with it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 12:40:37 PM
Author: tawn
I live in So.Cal, and so many women *seem* to have them. Several of my friends have gotten them recently, the most recent 2 are both 30''ish married with children, and both very unhappy with their breasts after pregnancy/nursing. So far they seem very happy, but they were confident self-assured women before....so maybe that makes the difference?

Oddly enough, while they were checking out augmentation, my mother had a breast reduction and loving it!
Yup, I see the same thing. One of my friends got it done this year after deciding no more kids. The other one is now deciding (they don''t know each other). This other friend was always VERY opposed to boob jobs. When I jokingly mentioned that, she laughed and said "Yup, I always told people they should be happy with God gave them...and that''s all I want - what God gave me!" I had to laugh. So yeah, "flapjack t*ts" seem to be quite the motivator.

And I agree with the previous post that these take a lifetime of maintenance. I know my body is going to turn out like my mom''s...and I thinks she''s beautiful, flapjacks and all.
1.gif
Something about having to deal with fake bulbous boobies at age 70 does not appeal to me. My cousin has had them less than 10 years (I think it was 5 or 6) and last year when we were in Australia, one of them deflated on vacation. She and her hubby had to scrape together money to both of them (they couldn''t just do one) and she had to take unexpected time off work to go under the knife again. Not to mention it ruined a good chunk of her vacation. She was so upset and told me she wished she had never gotten them done, but to take them out now...wel, she would just look even weirder.

Not worth it to me.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
This doesn''t have anything to do with suicide but you know what I have noticed? Since i''ve been out of work and around the house a lot lately I will have TLC or the Style channel on in the backround and they have all these makeover shows now where they utilize plastic surgery and they almost ALWAYS give the woman implants...even if she has a normal sized chest! I''m talking like a B, which is completly normal and shouldn''t be considered "totally flat". Now there are some women on there who are even smaller than an A and it''s a huge point of contention, or women who have lots of sagging or maybe one breast is signifigantly larger than the other. In those cases I kind of understand the surgery because it''s usually something the woman is very unhappy with. However i''ve seen them interview women and they will say..." Oh i''m not happy with my love handles and my nose" and they say they''ll fix it but they almost always throw the breast implants in there too! Even if the woman doesn''t have an issue with the breast! I''ve seen the doctor bring it up and sell it on how much better it will look with their "new look" and the women just say ok. It makes me wonder if the doc didn''t bring it up would they of been ok keeping their breasts as is? What does it tell young women out there who are gorgeous and small chested?

okay i''ll get off my soapbox now :)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read the whole thread, but it does make sense to me in that many of these women likely have lower self esteem or image issues than other women.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 12:59:48 PM
personally i see no appeal in breast implants, but then again i have always had a full chest so maybe i don''t get what it''s like to want larger ones. i wish mine were smaller! they are such a PITA, seriously. and then when you get older they are not as perky as originally and it''s all downhill. i already plan to get a lift if we have kids because after that, forget it! i keep hoping maybe they will shrink after i breast feed, i have heard some stories like that and i keep thinking OH IF ONLY. not like mine are humongo or anything but they are just always in the way! so i can''t even relate to people who want them bigger or whatever. that''s like self-inflicted torture. one of my best girlfriend has had them done and she has had to go back 2ce because even though she had some well-known surgeon do them, there were all these issues and they still aren''t *right*. $12k later. that''s a nice big diamond there!!

for me i think smaller chested gals have the best of both worlds. you can be smaller chested when the situation calls for it (aka tube tops and halters) where smaller does not ''disrupt the line'' of clothing...and if you want them bigger, wear a water bra or something and give yourself more of an impact. my old roommmate had smallish B''s but i thought they were great. she could make them look bigger or smaller depending what she did. plus they stay perky way longer! hehe.

i do think much of it has to do with loving yourself the way you are. we all ''if only'' about an aspect of our body, but i don''t think i could actually take any sort of action to unnaturally fix something SOLELY for appereance''s sake. i mean if i had a 6th toe, sure i''d have it removed. but something just because? probably not.
It''s not that they actually shrink--they''re just so saggy and deflated it seems like they did. Now there''s something for you to look forward to!
11.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock

Date:
9/22/2006 3:57:50 PM
Author: Christa

Date: 9/22/2006 12:59:48 PM

It''s not that they actually shrink--they''re just so saggy and deflated it seems like they did. Now there''s something for you to look forward to!
11.gif
Or you could be like me...A cup before baby...B cup during nursing...A cup after. No sag, no bag, no flapjacks. But I''m so small, it doesn''t matter! But I''m so grateful to have a dh who loves me as is. (bigger belly and all). I''d rather have a trip to Spain for a month or a nice new diamond than boobs...but that''s just me. My best girlfriend is getting new boobs, & we call them the "ladies" and I am so excited for her, but then she''s a strong woman & her cute perky B cups got sucked thin by her baby boy (I swear they look like deflated balloons, or floppy socks) so the chance of her committing suicide is slim to none. She''s freakin'' thrilled. And open about it. But she''s always had good self esteem, and even the boob job thing is more of a fun thing to her than a "need" thing.

DG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results