shape
carat
color
clarity

brass jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have experience with brass jewelry? Is it pretty strong/durable?

Thanks

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I got this necklace off Etsy and it seems fine
etsyil_430xN_54547689.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
brass is a duable material for jewelry and holds a gold plate well ,but once the plating wears off the brass wont shine,needs constant polishing and can stain the skin with prolonged exposure to skin oils,purfumes and any chemicals.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter and I went through a lot of my late mother's jewelry this past weekend. I rediscovered three pieces that my mother used to wear when I was a child, pieces that I am fairly sure are from the 1940's. I think they are all made of copper. They are very heavy. I am betting that she acquired them when she acquired her Georg Jensen USA silver jewelry, during World War II. Unless someone knows that copper would not have been used then because it was needed for the war effort? If that is the case, I have to think about what other metal this could be (not brass!) or whether it could have been made after the war! Does anyone know anything about copper jewelry made in the US in the 1940's and 1950's?

AGBF
34.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I have a favorite brass barrette. It is really much like a jewelry piece. It is very durable, flexible (as long as it is warm and I go slow) and it tarnishes like there is no tomorrow! Now, I wear it daily (nearly) and I would say it looses its luster after two days wear. Shines up very easily though.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 10:45:03 PM
Author: AGBF

My daughter and I went through a lot of my late mother''s jewelry this past weekend. I rediscovered three pieces that my mother used to wear when I was a child, pieces that I am fairly sure are from the 1940''s. I think they are all made of copper. They are very heavy. I am betting that she acquired them when she acquired her Georg Jensen USA silver jewelry, during World War II. Unless someone knows that copper would not have been used then because it was needed for the war effort? If that is the case, I have to think about what other metal this could be (not brass!) or whether it could have been made after the war! Does anyone know anything about copper jewelry made in the US in the 1940''s and 1950''s?

AGBF
34.gif
Copper jewelry was huge popular during the late 1940s and then the early and mid 1950s!The 1950s had many different trends that delt with exotic locals around the world...for a while anything mexican,then latin, then in the late 1950s the siam silver jewelry and the asian influences were popular in fashion,jewelry,food and home decor...big and heavy sterling or copper jewelry from mexico or with the mexican influences were worn with off the shoulder embroirdered cotton blouses and big tiered skirts and espadrilles......post pictures!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info. I guess brass is pretty durable but needs to be polished? Would a polishing cloth work?

Thanks

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Whenever I look at this thread title, I see "bronze jewelry."

I always get bronze and brass mixed up.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results