shape
carat
color
clarity

Branded vs non-branded LGD

concun

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I have been lurking around the site trying to learn about LGD for my next project. I see a theme that most feedbacks or searches, if not all, are LGD non-branded LGD from site like loosegrowndiamond, not branded ones like Whiteflash precision cut. I do see a big price difference between similar stones, so I would like to get your opinion if the price difference worth the cut and everything else that WF, for example, offers. Or as long as I can find an H&A one on site like loosegrowndiamond, and with your help, it would be the best value for the money?
For example, these 2 are not the same color but the WF one is doubled in price. If your budget is 15k, would you get the WF one?

WF precision cut $14750 https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...-vvs2-clarity-round-ideal-cut-lab-sku-p300990

comparing to non branded one $7773

Thanks.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would personally not pay ~$7K extra for the WF stone. However, WF's added service and light return images help give buyers peace of mind that they're getting a top-of-the-line diamond, so it's up to you whether or not it's worth it.

The E from LooseGrownDiamond appears to have subtle blue nuance. I recommend this one instead.

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Great pick up on the blue nuance, @Kim N!

Did you already check out Brian Gavin? Don’t know how you feel about a G, but here’s a lovely G VS2 at $12,425. They have $200 discount coupon going on, plus there’s the wire price. Given their reputation, I’d feel comfortable wiring them.

If I were in a certain financial place, it might be worth the $4k for the BG stone. You could also buy both and compare. For a stone of that size, I’d love an in person side-by-side. Or you could get your own ASET scope or Idealscope and take your own images of the loosegrown stone.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...products/4-g-vs2-bg-premium-lab-round-diamond

concun

Shiny_Rock
@Kim N and @0515vision - thank you.
I would prefer to stay with F-D. Because most of certs are IGL, I actually have to stay with E-D in case IGL grades it lower than GIA.

Kim, I will keep the recommend stone in the pocket for now. It is interesting that i can click and open your link but I am not able to search for the exact diamond even when I removed all filters.
If possible, I would prefer to keep it under 7.2k, but I could not leave a great stone out like the one you shared.
Can you pls help me find a few options? Appreciate it.
3.5 - 4 carats
HPHT
E-D
VS1 - VVS1
Ideal
Triple EX

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
concun have a look at these options:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Just keep in mind that IGI’s reputation of being softer in color is somewhat outdated. Since IGI made inroads into the lab market before GIA, they’ve earned solid respect. There was a PS stone which was grading stricter by IGI than GIA.

Yay for @DejaWiz’s picks!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N and @0515vision - thank you.
I would prefer to stay with F-D. Because most of certs are IGL, I actually have to stay with E-D in case IGL grades it lower than GIA.

Kim, I will keep the recommend stone in the pocket for now. It is interesting that i can click and open your link but I am not able to search for the exact diamond even when I removed all filters.
If possible, I would prefer to keep it under 7.2k, but I could not leave a great stone out like the one you shared.
Can you pls help me find a few options? Appreciate it.
3.5 - 4 carats
HPHT
E-D
VS1 - VVS1
Ideal
Triple EX

I have some suggestions for you, but I don't want someone else to buy one out from under you before you get a chance to look at them. Let me know when you're online and ready to put one on hold.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I personally wouldn’t pay double for a branded stone. Not a round one anyways as it’s possible to evaluate them pretty well yourself. Some of the appeal to branded stones used to be the excellent policies that went with them but I don’t think a lot of retailers offer much in the way of upgrades for lab stones being that the market is still quite volatile. And most non branded retailers accept feee returns so even if your self evaluation turns out to be incorrect it’s easy to right the mistake and try again.

concun

Shiny_Rock
I was at the jeweler yesterday trying on sizes. I like the look of 2 sizes on my 5.5 finger, 10.1 and 10.5 mm. The jeweler said it is 3.5 and 4 carats respectively but the more I look up online, it seems to fall in 4-4.5 range. In that case, I can stretch the budget to 8.5k but the sweet spot would be under 8k. Since I do not have the tool and can only order 1 stone at a time, appreciate your help. Sorry for the inconvenience I may have caused.

@Kim N i am online.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I was at the jeweler yesterday trying on sizes. I like the look of 2 sizes on my 5.5 finger, 10.1 and 10.5 mm. The jeweler said it is 3.5 and 4 carats respectively but the more I look up online, it seems to fall in 4-4.5 range. In that case, I can stretch the budget to 8.5k but the sweet spot would be under 8k. Since I do not have the tool and can only order 1 stone at a time, appreciate your help. Sorry for the inconvenience I may have caused.

@Kim N i am online.

I'd say pounce on either the 4.02 or 4.31 that I posted above...or at least put them on hold/reserve until Kim N gets a chance to post her latest recommendation so that you have a few to pick from without experiencing FOMO.

concun

Shiny_Rock
@DejaWiz how would I put it on hold? Does it mean to place an order and call them to cancel later?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz how would I put it on hold? Does it mean to place an order and call them to cancel later?

Utilize the sellers chat feature and provide the SKUs/Grading Report numbers and ask them to place the diamonds on hold for a couple/few days.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here you go!

4.10 and 4.01 look great and would definitely make my personal short list!
4.01 may be a IIb, but it's so hard to tell for sure since its so slight. If it is IIb, then it may not interfere with the overall appearance even if a more natural IIa appearance is the desired outcome...hard to be sure or guarantee what it'll look like in real-world viewing.

concun

Shiny_Rock
with my limited understanding, I am leaning toward the two 4.05s as #1,#2 and 4.10 as #3 and the one from adioamor as #4.
@DejaWiz can you pls tell me why 4.05 ones do not make better choice than 4.10 in your opinion? Btw, seem like not many people working today so the chat is no response. Still waiting

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4.10 and 4.01 look great and would definitely make my personal short list!
4.01 may be a IIb, but it's so hard to tell for sure since its so slight. If it is IIb, then it may not interfere with the overall appearance even if a more natural IIa appearance is the desired outcome...hard to be sure or guarantee what it'll look like in real-world viewing.

I'm looking at it on a better monitor now, and yes, it may be a IIb.

concun, the 4.10 is my favorite due to the taller crown height.

concun

Shiny_Rock
The agent said she can’t put them on hold. I will have to make the decision :think:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
For the price, I think I'd lean toward the 4.10 $5168 with a juicy 15.5 crown height to give a little more fire. The 4.05 at $5842 doesn't seem worth it. The other 4.05 has nice angles and cut, though, and you can save a little at $4653. We're just comparing the crown heights at this point.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The agent said she can’t put them on hold. I will have to make the decision :think:

The two 4.05 have a 14.5% crown height compared to the 15.5% crown height on the 4.10, which may result in slightly more fire. And like 0515vision said, the 4.10 is a better deal.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The 4.10 is gone. Hope you snagged it!

concun

Shiny_Rock
Someone is quicker than me and had grabbed 4.10. Which one of 4.05 I should go with?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone is quicker than me and had grabbed 4.10. Which one of 4.05 I should go with?

I would go with the cheaper one.

concun

Shiny_Rock
I did it. The cheaper 4.05. Thanks everyone. Will share once I get it. Now I can start thinking of the design.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

concun

Shiny_Rock
Disclaimer: my photo skill sucks. I could not find the thread of photography tips and I doubt my skill would improve even if I read it.
To report back, I received these stones that you helped me find. Surprisingly I feel like the studs of F color sparkle more than the solitaire of E color. Without you, I would be lost in the desert, thirsty and dizzy and my eyes will deceive me that either no diamond in the sand or millions of them looking the same.

Look like I can’t upload video from my iPhone directly to this platform.
IMG_2849.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can upload the video to Imgur and post the link here.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the photos! Hopefully you’ll be able to figure out Imgur because those look like beauties!

I’m betting your mom won’t know the studs are F!!! Everybody shhhhhhh lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results